Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #901
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
non-game related but Tony Romo had maybe the absolute best night I've ever seen/heard from anyone in the booth, in any sport.

He takes it to a level I've never seen
In the overtime, he was literally predicting plays right before they happened. He would tell you what to watch for and then it would come true.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #902
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
-Tuck rule
-Deflategate
-Spygate
-Weakest division in the league

Just off the top of my head.
[IMG][/IMG]
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #903
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Lol, someone asked why they are so hated and I obliged. Ultimately I don't really care if they win another Superbowl, they will be tied with the Steelers.

Rube and others are right though, the most annoying thing about them is definitely their fans
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #904
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Agreed, both teams need to possess the ball. its still nowhere near as bad as soccer or certain hockey tournaments where it is a shootout, that is the biggest joke to decide a winner
You know who didn’t complain about that OT rules? The Rams. They went out and got the ball and won the game. Both teams had the chance to possess the ball. The Chiefs didn’t do a good enough job. In hockey a team can win the face-off and the other team doesn’t get a chance to touch the park if they score. They had a chance to, but they didn’t touch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #905
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
You know who didn’t complain about that OT rules? The Rams. They went out and got the ball and won the game. Both teams had the chance to possess the ball. The Chiefs didn’t do a good enough job. In hockey a team can win the face-off and the other team doesn’t get a chance to touch the park if they score. They had a chance to, but they didn’t touch it.
And this represents literally 0.0001% of all overtime scenarios. The way the NFL does it is basically if baseball was sudden death. Imagine if the World Series, Game 7, and the team who bats first in the 10th scores a run, and they automatically win. The only reason 55% of the Patriots didn't have to play in overtime isn't because "the other team didn't get possess the puck", it's because tails, contrary to the saying, actually fails sometimes.

Also a faceoff, which would determine the whole "never touched the puck scenario", is an actual hockey play. Far, far better than saying heads or tails. I actually think playing the full quarter is the best approach, and also adds some spicy strategic elements to make it even more fun.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:44 AM   #906
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
LOL Jim Rome certainly got duped this morning as he was talking about this like it actually happened. How could anyone not notice the official in the pic's left arm and legs being of an opposing team player.
Haha brutal! Yeah I deff knew that was fake, I just posted it because I liked (and couldn't believe it, frankly) that came straight from Gurley's official account. I like how he's essentially admitting the refs gift wrapped that one for them.

And yes, it was an impressive comeback, and in OT the Saints had a chance to win after all that and blew it, Rams made the stop, got the ball back, and the Leg finished it. Full credit to the Rams on that part and overcoming the noise and the rough start to get a W. But that game was over, man. That PI was more like an open ice hockey body check complete with helmet to helmet, how do you miss that?? Kneel on the ball three times, and have one of the best kickers in the league kick a walk-off chip shot from the 15 to go to the Super Bowl. That one is going to sting for a while.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #907
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well credit for honesty at least.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1087360415334653952
Old 01-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #908
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1087150085111189507
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #909
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Date & Time Favorite Spread Underdog Total Money Odds

2/3 6:30 ET New England -2 LA Rams 58 -$130 +$110
Old 01-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #910
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, not a ####ing coin flip
Old 01-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #911
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simanium View Post
A good solution would be to have a video replay official in the booth. Can instantly communicate with the Head Referee and let them know if they missed something obvious.
Yeah that would be better. A lot of people down south seem to be talking about going the CFL way with challenging it. But they also haven't watched how much it has slowed down the games, including desperate coaches just randomly challenging it hoping for anything when nothing is there. It's been painful, and a surprisingly regrettable introduction. A replay official would be better.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #912
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Yeah that would be better. A lot of people down south seem to be talking about going the CFL way with challenging it. But they also haven't watched how much it has slowed down the games, including desperate coaches just randomly challenging it hoping for anything when nothing is there. It's been painful, and a surprisingly regrettable introduction. A replay official would be better.
Does the CFL have the same limits on challenges and timeouts? For some reason I thought it was different.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #913
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Does the CFL have the same limits on challenges and timeouts? For some reason I thought it was different.
CFL can challenge penalties (calls / non calls), I don't think the NFL allows that.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #914
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

CFL can challenge pass interference and illegal contact calls.
You can only challenge once a game this year though.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #915
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
In hockey a team can win the face-off and the other team doesn’t get a chance to touch the park if they score. They had a chance to, but they didn’t touch it.
That is such a bad analogy I can't even believe someone would post it.

At least with a faceoff in hockey it's a skill that's part of the game that's required to at least establish the original possession. Plus it's a very fluid game where possession can be won or lost much easier as part of the regular flow of the game.

This Chiefs fan isn't crying about the OT format...it's the way things go, and it is better than the old format of win the toss and kick a field goal. I still prefer the college format, but that's a preference.

I will also add that the Rams have nothing to complain about...they were gifted that last possesion in regulation to tie the game. New Orleans should have had first and 10 and the chance to bleed the clock to nothing if the officials call that game correctly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #916
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
CFL can challenge pass interference and illegal contact calls.
You can only challenge once a game this year though.
You can no longer challenge illegal contact in the CFL but you can challenge roughing the passer.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-21-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:17 PM   #917
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You only get one challenge in the CFL. Once you use it it's gone regardless of winning the challenge.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #918
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like the current NFL format but I'm not a huge fan of the CFL/college format either where a FG is almost guaranteed. I think what would make more sense is for each team to get the ball once on their own 25. If both teams score, rinse & repeat.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #919
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't like the current NFL format but I'm not a huge fan of the CFL/college format either where a FG is almost guaranteed. I think what would make more sense is for each team to get the ball once on their own 25. If both teams score, rinse & repeat.
Just modify the college/CFL format to move the initial line of scrimmage to ~midfield where you need to at least drive a few yards before the field goal comes into play.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #920
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Just modify the college/CFL format to move the initial line of scrimmage to ~midfield where you need to at least drive a few yards before the field goal comes into play.
fear is a defensive struggle or bad weather will make scoring impossible from midfield. or it just becomes a kicking contest.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote