Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2019, 10:07 PM   #41
It's a great day 4 hockey
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Not the contact with the head part but watching this totally made me reminisce of how much joy I took from watching Fleury line guys up and explode up into them.
It's a great day 4 hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:32 PM   #42
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I expected worse after seeing that it got him 3 games. Not a clean hit by any means but a lot worse gets a lot less
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:34 PM   #43
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worse hits have resulted in no suspension but I'm okay with it providing the league can be consistent dishing out the same punishment regardless of the player laying that hit whether it be a guy like Byron or a star player.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:30 AM   #44
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the way Byron has handled this. Acknowledging it, apologizing it and taking accountability for it. That rarely happens and speaks to his character. More of that type of reaction is how the cultural shift required will happen.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #45
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I find it rather interesting that the only thing it takes to prevent you from losing your crap over a hit like that is an apology. If that's all it takes to be let off the hook, then I doubt the "cultural shift" you are looking for is going to happen.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #46
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I find it rather interesting that the only thing it takes to prevent you from losing your crap over a hit like that is an apology. If that's all it takes to be let off the hook, then I doubt the "cultural shift" you are looking for is going to happen.
Boy you really can't help but try to spin someone's comments to suit whatever ongoing axe you are grinding can you?
How often have we seen a player come out with this type of statement? It is rare. It shows understanding on the players part of why the hit was wrong, which is a complete reversal of the standard "I was just finishing my check" stuff that most players parrot.
So yeah it is the type of thing that signal a change.
To me this one instance is what I want to see more of - with punishment doled out for a poor hit, accepted by the player, with a commitment to adjust going forward.
So yeah I like it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #47
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Frankly Jiri, you should not be complaining about spin and axe grinding after your running anti-Theo Fleury commentary from yesterday. Pot, kettle, black.

And I do think it is hilarious that you are completely unable to stop yourself from grinding this particular axe any time a bad hit happens.... except when a guy you like happens to be the culprit. Then you really want to believe that an apology - of which Byron is not remotely close to being the first to make - is enough. I just find that rather naive.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #48
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finishing the check should always be a part of the game. Had Byron not jumped, the hit would have been perfectly legal. Even if a player hits to hurt or intimidate, that is hockey. For anyone that has ever played the game, fear and intimidation is a huge part of contact hockey, hitting is a part of it. As long as it’s done within the rules(not from behind, no head contact or jumping), there should be no issues or penalties let alone a suspension.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #49
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Wow, thank you. AND WTF.

How was Kunitz not suspended? Was there a penalty on the play?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #50
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's a great day 4 hockey View Post
Not the contact with the head part but watching this totally made me reminisce of how much joy I took from watching Fleury line guys up and explode up into them.
In the 1989 Vancouver series, didn't he jump up and hit Harold Snepsts, and knock him out of the series?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #51
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mass times velocity equals force. As Paul is a much smaller player than average, he probably figures he has to provide a more aggressive check to equal most players.

However, I still think a game or three, for checks that result in head injuries, is the right thing to do. In recalling other penalties dished out, I do think Paul's 3 games is a little on the harsh side. I would think his past hits probably played some part in the decision.

Last edited by flamesfever; 01-17-2019 at 01:08 PM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #52
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's generally accepted as good character when someone comes out and admits they made a mistake and accepts responsibility for it. Some of these guys that get suspended don't man up and let the NHLPA do the talking for them. I like the respect he showed to the player he hit as well as the game itself by acknowledging he did wrong and will try to ensure it doesn't happen again. It's worth noting that Gio issued a classy apology as well this season upon being suspended but as Flames fans we already know he's a classy guy.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 01:25 PM   #53
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Frankly Jiri, you should not be complaining about spin and axe grinding after your running anti-Theo Fleury commentary from yesterday. Pot, kettle, black.

And I do think it is hilarious that you are completely unable to stop yourself from grinding this particular axe any time a bad hit happens.... except when a guy you like happens to be the culprit. Then you really want to believe that an apology - of which Byron is not remotely close to being the first to make - is enough. I just find that rather naive.
Fleury was brought up in a thread and I offered my view point. Tell me what's wrong with that. I wasn't the one that brought him up.

And I have no idea what you mean by "a guy you like"
I've never had a strong opinion about Byron either way. Point me to any evidence where this is a guy I like.
Again you make crap up about other posters on here and spin their comments to suit your needs.
It's been happening for literally decades.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #54
It's a great day 4 hockey
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
In the 1989 Vancouver series, didn't he jump up and hit Harold Snepsts, and knock him out of the series?
I tried looking it up but had no luck. I was 18 at that time and specifics are hazy due to my friends Jack and Jimmy Beam. Rings a bell though.
It's a great day 4 hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to It's a great day 4 hockey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #55
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
You can't be serious.
Yup, i would say it wasn't as egregious as the hymen hit on Mcavoy early this year.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 01-17-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:43 PM   #56
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am very reluctant to put much weight in an apology when you simply don’t know who wrote it, who helped with it, or what is truly in the players heart. I like Byron the player a lot but no idea about his seriousness, and I am not qualified to judge what is truly his intent.

But I know that apologies are worthless when it comes to player safety. Injuries arise because of what happens on the ice.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote