Old 11-05-2018, 10:47 PM   #81
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Great clip from Tim and Sid:

https://youtu.be/8f19yAJjmok?t=617

During the Colorado game, the Flames are up 6-4 at this point and Neal comes over to talk to Smith during a timeout late. Smith thinks its a buddy-buddy conversation, but it's clear that Neal is pretty fired up and challenging Smith on a bad play. Of course Rittich shares a smile with Smith after as well.

Really interesting, and speaks to the leadership involved.
Did anyone watch the entire segment? Brian Burke thinks that Milan Lucic is having a great season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:57 AM   #82
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

During the Colorado game, the Flames are up 6-4 at this point and Neal comes over to talk to Smith during a timeout late. Smith thinks its a buddy-buddy conversation, but it's clear that Neal is pretty fired up and challenging Smith on a bad play. Of course Rittich shares a smile with Smith after as well.

I was concerned of the Neal and Ryan signings at first but have really warmed up to Neal even if the offensive stats are not there yet.

This clip is just one of those things that I really like about him.. He's a fierce competitor and I think he will break out soon enough.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:35 PM   #83
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seems like a timely article with some analysis of James Neal's performance:

Why limited opportunity has Flames’ James Neal off to terrible start
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...d-opportunity/
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #84
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Neal should be real good for the locker room after last years disaster. After seeing that clip, it wouldn't surprise me if he did a lot of talking inbetween periods during those comeback games.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #85
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

I personally don't think neal deserves any more ice time than he is getting. Guy has had like 1.5 good games.

Bennett on the other hand is playing lights out and is completely deserving of more than 13 minutes a night. he has been an impact player in just about every game so far this season but hasn't seen any significant jump other than going from 7 minutes in games 1 and 2 to the 13 minutes or so he's at these days.

I think Kypreios might be onto something with making some smoke around trade requests because bennett seems roadblocked no matter how well he plays, there is seemingly no path other than injuries that sees him getting into the top 6. Maybe he learns how to shoot right and then plays right wing?

I think the ice time against less top heavy teams should be much more even between the top three lines.

But I would like to see Bennett back at centre for a little while, that way he might be able to take on some more of Backlund's assignments, and get him thachuk and neal as his wingers.

Gaudreau - mony - Lindholm
Czarnik/dube/janko - Backlund - Frolik
Thachuk - Bennett - Neal
Spare Parts
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #86
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neal has been as good as Bennett the last couple games.

"Roadblocked" is such an exaggeration when it comes to Bennett - you make it sound like the coaches are out to get him and are deliberately doing things that don't work as well as putting him up there.

Bennett can't do what Backlund does - there's no way he can take Backlund's assignments.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #87
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
I would like to see Bennett back at centre for a little while, that way he might be able to take on some more of Backlund's assignments
I also wouldn't mind seeing this but don't think it will be to take any assignments away from Backlund. Both are on PP2 and the PK while Backs shuts down the oppositions top line so I don't see much icetime he could take
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #88
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Neal has been as good as Bennett the last couple games.

"Roadblocked" is such an exaggeration when it comes to Bennett - you make it sound like the coaches are out to get him and are deliberately doing things that don't work as well as putting him up there.

Bennett can't do what Backlund does - there's no way he can take Backlund's assignments.
I never said the coaches are out to get him. All im saying is that with our roster, the only way he sees a significant increase in ice time or a role in the top 6 is by someone up there getting injured. It isn't saying he's being treated unfairly or anything, just a statement that currently at LW the options above him aren't going to be losing ice time, and the options at C are in the same boat. so he really can't get more ice time no matter how well he plays because the coaches seem to want to roll the top 6 ~37 minutes a game give or take (including PP time) and that means there is ~ 23 minutes to divvy up between the bottom 6.

All of this is moot at this point and until bennett starts scoring at the same rate as Thachuk and Gaudreau would he even have a true case for closer to equal ice time with the backlund line.

Neal is able to move up the lineup because the coaching staff sees frolik as more of a third liner than they do Thachuk or backlund.

Again, all im saying is that Bennett has definitely done more than neal over the first 15 games to deserve more ice time, but because of his position and handedness, he won't get that opportunity, and I'm not saying that in a bad way, just stating a fact.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #89
Jethro Choicebro
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If Bennett continues as he is he will also get more reps when Peters shortens the bench and/or blends lines which will help his ice time
Jethro Choicebro is online now   Reply With Quote