Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Hanifin vs Hamilton

Figured we might as well have a dedicated thread for this, seeing as how it'll be a topic of conversation for the foreseeable future.

Here's how both players have begun their tenures with their respective new teams. If someone else wants to interprate their advanced stats, go for it - I have no idea how to apply them.

Hanifin:

6 GP 0G 2A +1 2 PIM 11 shots 20:58 ATOI 10 Blocks 8 Hits 7 Takeaways 8 Giveaways 60% Dzone starts

Hamilton:

7 GP 0G 3A +1 2 PIM 29 shots 20:05 ATOI 6 Blocks 14 hits 2 Takeaways 6 Giveaways 49.4 Dzone starts

There are lies, damn lies and statistics, as Twain would tell us. With that said, my initial impression of Hanifin is that he's either as good or nearly as good as Hamilton right now. He's four years younger, nearly a million bucks cheaper and under contract for an additional three years, so by the time he's 25, we could be talking about this contract like Josi's.

I find Hanifin's game to be much smoother and polished - he doesn't handle the puck like a grenade the way Dougie could. Neither are especially physical. I was surprised to see Hanifin so buried in the defensive zone - 2/3 of his shifts begin there, which tells me Peters has a ton of confidence in the player.

On top of everything, Hanifin's presence has given Brodie's career a Senzu bean. The gap between Brodano and Gio/Hamilton is minimal, and Hanifin has been a stabilizing force on the 2nd pair.

So far so good. This trade could be an all-timer. But as the Zen Master says, 'We'll see'.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #2
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Visually, the gap between these players is much smaller than I was expecting. After a disappointing season, perhaps I’m a little biased as the ‘warts’ of Hamilton stand out more prominently in my mind, such as perceived compete level. I just haven’t watched Hanifin enough to learn his warts. The nice thing is that he’s still young enough that those deficiencies in his game aren’t necessarily permanent.

Hamilton is still the better player now, but that isn’t the whole story of the trade (cap hit, RFA status, etc).
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hanifin is a much better skater and I feel more confident with him as the last guy.

Dougie's shot though. That's really hard to replace. Only a handful of guys in the league can do it.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #4
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As good as Hamilton was offensively you never felt "safe" with him handling the puck in the D zone like with Hanafin. Very nice as a person and sucks to see him go but as a hockey player im glad we traded him for Hanafin.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #5
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things I've been impressed with include

- His ability to keep pucks in at the blueline, including on the PP
- His ability to skate the puck out of his own zone
- The fact that most of the time I don't notice him at all. He has a quiet and calming presence on the ice.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:11 PM   #6
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Noah just needs an assist and 18 SOG next game!

Old 10-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #7
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton spent a lot of time with Gio, and Hanafin hasn't.

It's kind of tough to compare.
Hamilton does seem to be quite a bit better offensively. Hanafin doesn't ever seem to do anything too stupid, which is nice.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 07:27 PM   #8
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

It is the both the player and the big picture for me.

Stats aside, I didn’t like Hamilton’s compete without the puck. Hanifin hasn’t jumped out to me as being lax from time to time.

Hamilton got points, but Gio shaved about 20 points off in exchange. And Brodie on his off side didn’t seem comfortable.

Brodie and Gio plus Hanifin on the second pairing for the win.

Hanifin for the win as well - younger, with upside and doesn’t bring along a brother to fill an unearned roster spot.

Not to mention, for those who like Hanifin more, adding in Lindholm as upgrade on Ferly (with due respect to Ferly’s hot start)... man, what a deal.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #9
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I see Hanifin, I see a defenseman who can join the rush and create offense, but he's a defenseman first.

When I see Hamilton, I see a guy that was probably pushed into playing defense at a young age because of his size, but it looks like he'd rather play forward. He plays the game like a forward, not a defenseman.

I'll take Hanifin, even if Hamilton scores more goals. You need guys dedicated to defense playing that position. Guys who are more concerned about offense will sink your team in the long run. Hamilton always seemed concerned with shooting and scoring goals, not taking care of his own zone. I mean, he made a token effort, but he never seemed dedicated to it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #10
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Compete level and hunger to win seems greater with Hanafin, I think that closes any gap in skill between them.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #11
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

My $0.02...

Hanafin is a more complete defenseman, which is awesome considering he's younger.

Hamilton is a far better skater, has a better shot, is generally better offensively, but a big liability in his own zone.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #12
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I'm not sure I agree Hamilton is the better skater.

Hanifin seems much faster and has way better escapability in the defensive zone and at the blueline in the offensive zone. I think he's going to be a stud for us!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 08:30 PM   #13
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

He's better offensively but a far better skater?!?
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ST20 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #14
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Yeah. I find that weird. How and why can one declare Hamilton a better skater at all, much less far better?
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #15
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was willing to trade Hamilton straight up for a first line forward but I am very happy Treliving was able to soften the blow by adding a Dman of Hanifins caliber. Hanifin was hyped to be almost the sure fire pick after Eichel in 2015. Similar to Jones the year before him he slipped 2 spots. I feel the Canes took a big risk trading him entering his 4th season. I love the contract and the potential.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 08:49 PM   #16
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanifin is one of the best skaters in the league. He isn’t inferior to Hamilton in that trait.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #17
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
My $0.02...

Hanafin is a more complete defenseman, which is awesome considering he's younger.

Hamilton is a far better skater, has a better shot, is generally better offensively, but a big liability in his own zone.
Better shot, but I don't think he's any better of a skater.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:00 PM   #18
TheMagicMan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Being a devils advocate...if Hanafin has so much upside, as reflected with so many positive comments via this thread.. ..then why did Hurricanes give him up?
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #19
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
Being a devils advocate...if Hanafin has so much upside, as reflected with so many positive comments via this thread.. ..then why did Hurricanes give him up?
Probably hated going to museums
cznTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cznTiburon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #20
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post

One factor is that the owner was rumored to want to make a big splash
And the reality is that Dougie is an attractive commodity. He's got a unique set of attributes that teams want.
And so far - the trade has worked for both clubs.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: