Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #41
Flame4Ever
RIP Mickey

Exp:

Tobias Reider:

German import added a a nice boost of speed and offence to the Rangers. not the bigest guy on the ice, but doesn't play small and can get under the opposition's skin when he goes hard in on the forecheck. Has a great set of wheels and hands that can keep up. Quick accurate release and willingness to o the front of the net netted him 23 goals as he adjusted to the Nort American game. Sees the ice faily wel and gets the puck to his team-mates. Has all the tools to be a solid second line guy, but hasn't shown the ability to be a game changer yet.
Needs to add a lot of strength before graduating to the next level as he wieghs in at about 170 lbs.

Matt Tipoff:
An overaer who was one of the unsung heroes of the Kitchener Rangers, Tipoff is a guy who will likely et a few camp invites this summer. Having seen him a fair amount these last 2 years, I have always been impressed with his work ethic and his smarts.
A very accomplished PKer with decent hands and great hustle, I think he may have a good shot at becoming one of those fan favorite energy players similar to Nystrom. His stats msy not be that impressive, but he always seems to make a smart pla with the puck and advances the play a ton when he's on the ice similar to a David Moss.

Stefan Noesen:

This kid just keps impressing the heck out of me. Went from a guy who had all of 8 points last year and was nowhere near my radar at the start of the season to someone who led his team in virtually every offensive category.
Doesn't project to be a high end offensive guy at te next level, but should be a very solid 2nd line guy in the NHL. Big bodied winger with solid acceleration and good ofensive skillset. Not afraid to shoot the puck from anywhere but has the vision to make some nice plays and usehis line mates effectively. cycles the puck extremely well and skates well for a big man. could use some work on his explosiveness, but is already a much better skater than Nemisz ever was.
Could use a little more polish in the defensive zone, but already has solid positioning in his own end.
Flame4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flame4Ever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #42
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary should really give Nathan Lieuwen a try. He's a 6'5" goalie for the Kootenay Ice.

If any of you have been following the Kootenay Ice this post-season, this kid has been a beast through two rounds. He has a 1.96 GAA, .930 SV%, and has posted two shutouts.

However, he is a little inconsistent, which could be the reason he didn't get drafted last offseason. It wouldn't hurt to bring him in as a 3rd goaltender who could be on an ATO. Hey, if he doesn't work out just send him to Utah.

BTW, the Flames should probably get another goalie through the draft this season. Our only goalies in the system right now are Kipper, CT, Irving, Keetley, and Ortio.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #43
Flame4Ever
RIP Mickey

Exp:

I feel like the Flames would probably want to take a flyer on a guy who still has some Junior eligibility. Since all their pro spots will be filled a guy like Michael Houser or Kike Morrison would be a good investment in the 5th round.
Flame4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #44
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really hope Feaster or whoever is in charge picks up at least a 3rd and hopefully a 2nd - this draft seems really deep to me. One guy on the local team who went in the second round last year is a worse player as a 19 year old than two guys projected to go in the 4th/5th this year. Good year to have a few extra picks.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #45
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
who???
My thoughts exactly. Poor kid must've had a rough childhood.
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #46
johnnyluv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
who???
I believe he means Mike Morrison, goalie for the Kitchener Rangers.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #47
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
I believe he means Mike Morrison, goalie for the Kitchener Rangers.
In your spare time (alone) google fotze under the image heading with the filter off.

Then you'll understand the joke.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #48
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Calgary should really give Nathan Lieuwen a try. He's a 6'5" goalie for the Kootenay Ice.

If any of you have been following the Kootenay Ice this post-season, this kid has been a beast through two rounds. He has a 1.96 GAA, .930 SV%, and has posted two shutouts.

However, he is a little inconsistent, which could be the reason he didn't get drafted last offseason. It wouldn't hurt to bring him in as a 3rd goaltender who could be on an ATO. Hey, if he doesn't work out just send him to Utah.

BTW, the Flames should probably get another goalie through the draft this season. Our only goalies in the system right now are Kipper, CT, Irving, Keetley, and Ortio.
A little high up on the scouting order to fall too low, but I think overager (3rd year) Magnus Hellberg could be given a shot. Outstanding numbers in a 2nd tier league (.935 sv %, at one point he has .981% in 3 games) and creates his own eclipses at 6 ft 5 in.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #49
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Finnish RW Joel Armia had 1 goal and 3 assists today in the iihf world under 18 game vs. Canada. Canada won 5-4. Armia leads Finland with 1 goal and 5 assist through 2 games. D man Ryan Murphy leads Canada in scoring with 2 goals and 3 assists in two games. Anybody know much about this Ryan Murphy?.
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #50
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
In your spare time (alone) google fotze under the image heading with the filter off.

Then you'll understand the joke.
I did not expect that, and I was expecting the worst.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #51
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsengi View Post
D man Ryan Murphy leads Canada in scoring with 2 goals and 3 assists in two games. Anybody know much about this Ryan Murphy?.
Murphy is a small defencemen from the OHL. Sounds like he's one of the most dynamic offensive defencemen and powerplay quarterbacks in the last while. Despite his size he may go top 10 and is ranked 4th in Craig Button's list, 5th by ISS, 6th by Redline and 9th in NA by CSS.

Flames4ever has seen him, look at his previous posts in this thread for a scouting report.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 04-16-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #52
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsengi View Post
Finnish RW Joel Armia had 1 goal and 3 assists today in the iihf world under 18 game vs. Canada. Canada won 5-4. Armia leads Finland with 1 goal and 5 assist through 2 games. D man Ryan Murphy leads Canada in scoring with 2 goals and 3 assists in two games. Anybody know much about this Ryan Murphy?.
Ive watched him many times, a few times with Flames4Ever. Ryan Murphy despite his stature will be an outstanding NHL dman. Very smart, fast player with excellent offensive skills. He will go top 10 in the draft for sure, wouldn't surprise me if he went top 5. The Rangers season tanked when he got injured late in the year, that's how much he meant to the team. Id draw Drew Daughty comparisons, without the size.
79pts in 63 games this year with the Rangers.

Last edited by Cheese; 04-16-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #53
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
I did not expect that, and I was expecting the worst.
My bad, I actually never heard that term before, I assumed it was some term similar to Fotze.

He usually only jumps on things similar to that, not racial terms so I jumped to the wrong conclusion.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #54
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_1ww...eature=relatedDon't know too much about Ty Rattie but he's a flames fan!
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #55
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Having just skimmed the latest issue has anyone else noticed that in THE HOCKEY NEWS that Brian Costello wrote the Flames' entry instead of Sportak?

Not that this is a big deal, but I wonder why the change in philosophy? Again, just having skimmed through the issue, it seems most the team write-ups were done by a Hockey News staffer.

Last edited by Johnny Rotten; 05-06-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #56
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

^^ I know that Sportak is going to Europe this month with his daughter's Grad class ( I graduated from the same high school as her and have met him a few times)... Perhaps that is a reason why.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #57
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a short video on Mark McNeil for anyone interested:

http://www.whl.ca/video/index/id/f0f...229bd972e726ca
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote