Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #3041
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
You are right there, textcritic. I agree that all indications are that we needed to get rid of Neal. But the fact remains, I don't believe Lucic makes the Flames better.

Everything we are doing right now is trying to polish a turd. And the problem is, we are actually getting a bit lucky with Lucic (and Bennett) right now in that their poor on-ice play hasn't really burned us yet. That line is going to start costing us goals against sooner rather than later. And if I'm being honest, the only mitigation I see is to bench Lucic and put Czarnik out in his place. But that's not going to happen.
While Lucic hasn't really caused anything positive on ice (unless his fight, which maybe triggered a comeback counts), I haven't seen him do anything poor that should have burned the Flames. He's positioning is quite sound, he hustles, and leans into people pretty effectively. That line is never going to score a bunch.

I also recall that Ryan's good play last year was not as evidence off the bat. maybe his starts are a bit slow. If he revs up a bit, I think Lucic and Bennett will benefit.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #3042
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
You are right there, textcritic. I agree that all indications are that we needed to get rid of Neal. But the fact remains, I don't believe Lucic makes the Flames better.
No, I agree. But I think the expectation is that Lucic will not make the team any worse, and a team that led the Western Conference in scoring could afford to move a one dimensional forward who was not scoring for a player from whom they at least knew what they were getting.

Quote:
Everything we are doing right now is trying to polish a turd. And the problem is, we are actually getting a bit lucky with Lucic (and Bennett) right now in that their poor on-ice play hasn't really burned us yet. That line is going to start costing us goals against sooner rather than later. And if I'm being honest, the only mitigation I see is to bench Lucic and put Czarnik out in his place. But that's not going to happen.

Maybe, but I think it is still too early to know for sure. The team has not played anywhere near as well as they are capable of playing, and lots of players are getting buried in their own zone: for as well as Monahan has started the season, he is sporting an abysmal 40.2 SAT%. I expect this will correct itself as the team gets back to their game more consistently. I mean, for all his warts Lucic was one of the Oilers better possession drivers last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #3043
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paraphrasing someone's comment on HF, but who knew the secret to the Oilers success wouldn't be a handful of 1st overall picks. It was James Neal all along!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #3044
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outside of Neal lighting it up in Edmonton, Lucic has been bad outside of the 'truculence'.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #3045
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

His hot start makes us look bad. However, he was a lazy, pouty hockey player. He played uninspired hockey all year with some bad luck as well. The James Neal we are seeing is the guy who got humbled and a kick in the ass. ood for him

But lets not forget, hes playing with Mcdavid and Drais. Alex Chaisson scored 22 last year. Drais had 50

Lucic has been better than I expected, just ask the guys what they all think. We lacked truculence and it hurts us at times. 2 fights, one sparked a comeback. The other beat up a dirty player who took liberties on guys in the playoffs last year. At some point we need some goals from him however he fits a bottm 6 role. Is younger and cheaper. Neal wont sustain this pace.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #3046
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Outside of Neal lighting it up in Edmonton, Lucic has been bad outside of the 'truculence'.
I dont think you can he has been "bad". He hasnt taken too many dumb penalties. Was beat last night but the effort was there. And is more visible than Neal ever was last year at any point.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #3047
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Oiler fans are being quite vocal about this trade because let's face it, they haven't had a reason to be excited about a trade in years. When was the last time they made a big trade like this and actually came out on top and had something to gloat about? This is their big moment to shine. Even though it's been only 1 week into the season, you'd better believe they are going to hang onto this with every muscle in their bodies.

Even if Neal wasn't traded and was still a Flame, does anybody really think he'd be producing at this pace? He'd likely be buried in the bottom 6 and moping around. Let's not forget he was ''praying for a trade'', so it's not like he'd be busting his ass here to turn things around.

I get why their fans are happy to have finally had a trade work out for them. But it's not like the Flames lost a big piece of the puzzle. It's funny watching them make fun of us for trying to spin things and justify the trade after years of making fun of Lucic's contract. And to a certain extent they are right. But it's also true on our end; it was addition by subtraction to trade Neal and it has absolutely zero effect on the team's depth scoring-wise.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #3048
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Paraphrasing someone's comment on HF, but who knew the secret to the Oilers success wouldn't be a handful of 1st overall picks. It was James Neal all along!
I'm sure it's partially coincidence but it's hard to argue that winning has followed him around. Nashville, Vegas, and the Flames in successive seasons had their best seasons in recent history with him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #3049
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
While Lucic hasn't really caused anything positive on ice (unless his fight, which maybe triggered a comeback counts), I haven't seen him do anything poor that should have burned the Flames. He's positioning is quite sound, he hustles, and leans into people pretty effectively. That line is never going to score a bunch.

I also recall that Ryan's good play last year was not as evidence off the bat. maybe his starts are a bit slow. If he revs up a bit, I think Lucic and Bennett will benefit.
Given how badly that line is getting swamped in terms of possession, it's inevitable that they are going to start giving up goals if they don't turn that around. Also, can't depend on the PK always rescuing us the way they did against Vancouver as Lucic's inability to skate leads to bad hooking penalties.

That said, the fight against LA did have a positive impact, I do agree there.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #3050
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
His hot start makes us look bad. However, he was a lazy, pouty hockey player. He played uninspired hockey all year with some bad luck as well. The James Neal we are seeing is the guy who got humbled and a kick in the ass. ood for him

But lets not forget, hes playing with Mcdavid and Drais. Alex Chaisson scored 22 last year. Drais had 50

Lucic has been better than I expected, just ask the guys what they all think. We lacked truculence and it hurts us at times. 2 fights, one sparked a comeback. The other beat up a dirty player who took liberties on guys in the playoffs last year. At some point we need some goals from him however he fits a bottm 6 role. Is younger and cheaper. Neal wont sustain this pace.
Lucic also has had a couple big hits too. I think it was Klingberg he got with one last night. I also feel Tkachuk is hitting more. I think having Lucic there is part of it. Hoping Bennett starts to hand out a few soon.

Even if Neal has a good year and even if you consider maybe if he played on first line here and we moved lindholm to 2nd line or center and he had good year here too hes 32. Oilers fans and media can get all excited for neal all they want and 4 and 0 is great but who else has stepped up? Puljujarvi? Yamamoto? Benson? Bouchard? Klefbom? Larson? Maybe Nurse has but he is an expensive rfa this summer so I'm ok with that. If the only new bright spot on your team is a 32 year old who got a few tip goals and a couple gift goals from NYI goalies it's only a matter of time they slow down.

If Mangipane can take that 2nd line role I'll take the 22 year old over 32 year old anyday. If rasmus can take top pairing spot I'll take that too or Rittich playing like top 10 nhl goalie. Yep I'll take all that over James Neal playing well
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #3051
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
I think it was a simple matter of the Flames not living up to their commitment they made when they signed him. It was a bad fit...
I don't agree with much you say but this is my feeling as well. You commit that much money and term to a player that pushes your team to the cap ceiling you owe it to put 100% into making it work and the Flames just didn't do that and in the process added a worse player for almost the same money so they turned was was supposed to be a major splash for that elusive goal scoring winger into the most expensive plugger in the league on a team that's never had an issue finding bottom six pluggers. Nobody will convince me that a small handful of fights a year is worth what Lucic brings to the team overall.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #3052
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm sure it's partially coincidence but it's hard to argue that winning has followed him around. Nashville, Vegas, and the Flames in successive seasons had their best seasons in recent history with him.
Nashville had an improved regular season after he left.

But it's interesting (and telling) that successful teams felt he was not worth keeping around.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #3053
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Nashville had an improved regular season after he left.

But it's interesting (and telling) that successful teams felt he was not worth keeping around.
Well you are conveniently omitting that both teams wanted to keep him but the expansion draft and free agency got in the way.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #3054
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well you are conveniently omitting that both teams wanted to keep him but the expansion draft and free agency got in the way.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #3055
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Given how badly that line is getting swamped in terms of possession, it's inevitable that they are going to start giving up goals if they don't turn that around...
But the WHOLE TEAM has been getting swamped in these first few games. How much of this is a team issue that will readjust with the unfolding of the season? As the team moves closer to their own potential, I suspect we will see better returns from the third line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #3056
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Vegas wanted no part of him. Public lip service notwithstanding.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #3057
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Milan Lucic: 50 CF%, 0 pts, -2, 0 S%, 12:01 Ice Time

James Neal: 43.6 CF%, 7pts, -1, 46.7 S%, 18:32 Ice Time

Make what you will of it, but when you see a dude with a better shooting % than a CF%...we’ll see where things shake out.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #3058
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by Neal's bounce back. I'm honestly cheering for Neal to hit 21 goals so we can get that draft pick. Only 14 more to go!
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #3059
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
People need to forget about Neal for a moment and focus on Lucic and what he provides for his salary. Removing Neal doesn't change the fact that one of the team's highest paid players is a fringe NHL player. I still go back to the GM making the commitment to Neal. I assume this team is advised by their pro scouts so someone really messed up here. The GM and pro scouts that thought it would work or the coach for ensuring it wasn't going to work. This is a massive debacle for the team.
Right but that ship sailed the second the ink dried on the Neal contract.

Neal was Calgary's worst skater last year. You could certainly make the case that Lucic is that guy this year for sure.

One out, one in. Net neutral. Calgary's living in the intangibles now which luckily we've seen in two of four games to start the season.

Neal didn't have tangibles or intangibles of any kind.

The trade is unfortunate, but the problem started in July of 2018 not June of 2019
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #3060
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pretty telling when you are a -1 with 7 points
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post: