Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #8801
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can't help but think some of the 'damage' done is somewhat permanent. You've got companies like Devon, ConnocoPhillips, Kinder Morgan, and Shell pulling huge investments out of Canada. I dont see these companies all running back once(if) a pipeline is built. There's so little incentive to do business in Canada. Plus I assume its gotta be nice to actually be able to complete a project without constant protesters, red tape, and court appeals. It seems like a $5Billion project costs $15Billion in Canada.

In my opinion its still going to get worse before it gets any better. We are so divided in our own country, and a likely minority government will essentially be a 4 year stand still when it comes to any real progress in the O&G industry.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #8802
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think we need TMX and one other to increase room enough to see production increase substantially. TMX will allow the ending of curtailment and shifting some away from trains. But we really need KXL to go ahead too.
What's the latest on KXL anyways? I thought the one positive of a Trump presidency was supposed to be getting that thing done.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #8803
Red Slinger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't a major part of the previous employment booms due to the engineering, procurement and construction side for these major oil sands facilities? Once they're up and running and production comes on line, don't employment numbers drop off naturally?

A single pipeline may ease pressures on take away capacity at current production, but unless there was a significant increase in pipeline capacity (like 3 or 4 more), there won't be any room in the pipes for more production, which means no more facilities, which means no need for the EPC employment...
For Capex that's true. Although, due to the enormous reserves of oil in Alberta most Owner/Operators tend to build their facilities in phases or have long term plans for greenfield facilities. The other thing to keep in mind is that the mines have a definitive lifespan. So when the production starts dropping many operators need to replace it with new feed or an upgrade to an existing facility. EPCs also sometimes get involved in Maintenance but the workload is much smaller. Lastly, as the scale of renewable projects grows, they will likely involve EPCs more and more.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #8804
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
What's the latest on KXL anyways? I thought the one positive of a Trump presidency was supposed to be getting that thing done.
I think a judge put a hold on the presidential permit, then Trump overruled the judge with another permit, then it got held again and the judge is reviewing some environmental concerns. So the same old dance.

I may be wrong on my recollection of it though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #8805
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Trump is trying to fasttrack it. But Republicans spent decades pushing states' rights over federal rights so it won't be as simple to push through as he likely hopes.

Environmental groups have also held it up saying the federal government and energy companies didn't properly complete impact assessments because they were in such a rush to build. Sounds vaguely familiar.

The bottom line is pipelines in the U.S. face the same kinds of issues pipelines here face. One advantage the Permian has over the oil sands and other oil sources is the oil doesn't have to traverse multiple states and Texas is obviously super oil friendly.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to madmike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 03:34 PM   #8806
the_only_turek_fan
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

http://poll.forumresearch.com/post/3...st-debate-2019

Toronto Star/Forum has the Torries up by 7 points!
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #8807
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

That seat distribution would eliminate a Liberal/Green/NDP coalition. Bloc would have leverage for maximum extortion.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:14 PM   #8808
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
That seat distribution would eliminate a Liberal/Green/NDP coalition. Bloc would have leverage for maximum extortion.
Yeah, I think we'd get something resembling the early Harper minority governments, which were arguably his best years.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #8809
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

So now Scheer won’t commit to a date to release his platform. Surprise surprise. Doug Ford’s clone. The cuts will be devastating.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #8810
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh FFS.

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/10/09/sche...-announcement/

Quote:
During a Wednesday announcement on his immigration platform, Conservative leader Andrew Scheer invoked MS-13, a street gang often found in the crosshairs of the Trump administration’s anti-immigrant rhetoric.

Speaking at Roxham Road, the Quebec border crossing where many irregular migrants have entered Canada from the U.S. since 2017, the Tory leader said a Conservative government will “closely monitor those considered to be a threat for criminality, especially MS-13 gang members.”

In French, he said “we will also make sure that people from gangs like MS-13 cannot cross the border.”
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #8811
CorsiHockeyLeague
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I think we'd get something resembling the early Harper minority governments, which were arguably his best years.
The "early" form of every new government is the best (although the current one skipped that stage).
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #8812
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
What specifically do you disagree with? What the article says, is exactly what is currently taking place.
Come on my friend. You need to get out of the bubble if you read an article that says this:

Quote:
Make no mistake, we are mere steps from anarchy
or this

Quote:
You won’t – you’ll be thrown in jail for going near them, no matter what they try.
is exactly what is currently taking place.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #8813
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The "early" form of every new government is the best (although the current one skipped that stage).
I can think of several current governments that are skipping this stage.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #8814
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post

I'd question a poll that has the Conservatives up over the Liberals 75%-2% in MB/SK. Yes 2% for the Liberals. Something went wrong with their sample.

But perhaps it is a sign of Cons gain.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #8815
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I'd question a poll that has the Conservatives up over the Liberals 75%-2% in MB/SK. Yes 2% for the Liberals. Something went wrong with their sample.

But perhaps it is a sign of Cons gain.
This is the only poll I've seen that has the CPC leading the 18-34 demographic. Something's definitely not right about this one.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #8816
Ped
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Liberal Candidate Judy Sgro forced to apologize for being a dumbass.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sgr...ingh-1.5314744

Quote:
Nearly two weeks ago, Judy Sgro, who is vying for re-election in the riding of Humber River-Black Creek, gave a one-on-one interview with a news organization called GBKM FM. During the interview, she was asked about Trudeau wearing blackface makeup.
"Those in the black community have told me how much more love they have for the prime minister, that he wanted to have a black face. That he took great pride in that, too," Sgro said. "And that it's the media that have blown this into something that it shouldn't be and that they're very supportive."
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #8817
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Liberal Candidate Judy Sgro forced to apologize for being a dumbass.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sgr...ingh-1.5314744
It's a cult.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #8818
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Those in the black community have told me how much more love they have for the prime minister, that he wanted to have a black face. That he took great pride in that, too," Sgro said.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:43 PM   #8819
Zarley
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post

This poll is a pretty huge outlier compared to the others released today, which all show a dead heat, so I’d take it with a grain of salt. Having said that, some pundits had pointed out that Trudeau today started referring to Scheer by name rather than solely invoking Ford and Harper, which is a significant change in strategy.

While I thought Singh and Scheer looked good in the debate, I didn’t think anything happened that would move the needle significantly.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:50 PM   #8820
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
This poll is a pretty huge outlier compared to the others released today, which all show a dead heat, so I’d take it with a grain of salt. Having said that, some pundits had pointed out that Trudeau today started referring to Scheer by name rather than solely invoking Ford and Harper, which is a significant change in strategy.

While I thought Singh and Scheer looked good in the debate, I didn’t think anything happened that would move the needle significantly.
I also kind of wonder if Trudeau's last minute attack on Bill 21 at the debate maybe cost him some voters in QC.