Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #1701
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the XFL and CFL don't have an agreement, there's no "allow". That's all I'm saying.

The idea that the CFL owns these players universal, global rights is the dumb suggestion.

I'm not:
-Saying BLM WILL go, I said he would be given a look
-Saying it's a clear choice for him (I didn't take any position at all on that)

Jesus Christ.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #1702
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I'm sure there's an example of a player leaving their contract in North America and playing in the KHL.

That aside.

BLM has a contract, lets say an XFL team offers him 500k American to play close to home. He chooses to not report to the Stamps. Stamps suspend him and don't pay him. They what then? File suit in Canada? The optics are terrible. Never would happen.
What?

For who?

I mean...I'm not sure what the issue is here. Businesses file lawsuits, literally, all the time when they feel a contract has been violated/broken.

The Stampeders business is football players. Why would it be any different because of "optics"?

And no, they don't "own" him, they own his rights to play football under the agreement of the contract that both parties signed onto.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #1703
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
What?

For who?

I mean...I'm not sure what the issue is here. Businesses file lawsuits, literally, all the time when they feel a contract has been violated/broken.

The Stampeders business is football players. Why would it be any different because of "optics"?

And no, they don't "own" him, they own his rights to play football under the agreement of the contract that both parties signed onto
In the CFL.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:42 PM   #1704
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
In the CFL.
Would CFL contracts not have clauses that state you can't break contract to go to other leagues? With a possible exemption for the NFL for some star players.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #1705
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Would CFL contracts not have clauses that state you can't break contract to go to other leagues? With a possible exemption for the NFL for some star players.
Probably? I don't know if this is just a matter of we're not arguing the same thing, but I'm really wondering what the issue is here.

BLM can go play for the XFL if he wants. Having a CFL contract isn't going to stop that, unless the XFL and CFL have an agreement in place not to poach each other's players.

It's a different league, and more importantly a different country. The Stampeders would of course be able to sue him for breach of contract, but it would be a colossal waste of everybody's time and effort. It would also make the CFL look pretty bush league. Actually it would probably hurt the image of the XFL too. But the point is there's nothing stopping him from doing it.

If BLM wants to go to the XFL he would ask the Stampeders for his release, and if they said no, nothing stops him from crossing the border. The Stampeders can't revoke his passport and they certainly can't force him to suit up and play. The most likely scenario if he asked to be released to play in the XFL (and please bear in mind that no point did I say that was likely, all I said was that he would get a look) the Stampeders would allow him to be released. Why would they want to force the guy to play for a team, a league, and in a country he doesn't want to be in. And I'll say it one more time, even if they don't grant his release they have no remedy to prevent him from playing in the XFL unless the Xfl as a league plays ball and agrees not to poach players.

Last edited by White Out 403; 10-14-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:58 PM   #1706
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to be super crystal clear.. I'm talking about his ability to play in the xfl. Not the advisability, or the likelihood of it.

Keep in mind... Again... I said he'd get a look. A look. Not a contract, not a serious offer. A look.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #1707
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Just great.

Matthew Scianitti
@TSNScianitti

Hearing from #CFL sources, on his fourth play in his first game with the #Stamps, LB Marcus Ball tore his ACL.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #1708
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Just great.

Matthew Scianitti
@TSNScianitti

Hearing from #CFL sources, on his fourth play in his first game with the #Stamps, LB Marcus Ball tore his ACL.

You know the Football Gods have it planned when stuff like this keeps happening.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #1709
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

That really sucks for Marcus Ball and that's a tough injury to come back from - Both McManis and Holley have filled in admirably this season, so as long as those guys can stay healthy, I think the Stamps should be okay. Coaching and the golden touch of Huf keeps this team in the hunt year-after-year.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #1710
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It would really help if Jameer Thurman was to sign back in Calgary for the rest of the season. As far as I know, the Bears cut him and he hasn’t signed elsewhere. Actually the same goes with James Vaughters. Anybody know anything different?

Last edited by John Doe; 10-14-2019 at 05:30 PM.
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #1711
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eagles cut LB Zach Brown, the guy who trash talked Kirk Cousins last week before getting lit up.

The only LB on the Eagles practice roster is Singleton....these are the fabled “how I got my chance stories” out of nowhere. Who knows if he gets promoted or not but my guess is chances are good he will get a shot.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #1712
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Eagles cut LB Zach Brown, the guy who trash talked Kirk Cousins last week before getting lit up.

The only LB on the Eagles practice roster is Singleton....these are the fabled “how I got my chance stories” out of nowhere. Who knows if he gets promoted or not but my guess is chances are good he will get a shot.
Would love to see Singleton get a shot.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:45 PM   #1713
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
It would really help if Jameer Thurman was to sign back in Calgary for the rest of the season. As far as I know, the Bears cut him and he hasn’t signed elsewhere. Actually the same goes with James Vaughters. Anybody know anything different?

Wasn't Vaughters on the sidelines during the Rider's game?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #1714
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Wasn't Vaughters on the sidelines during the Rider's game?
Supposedly he was in town. I hope he was talking contract with Huff.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #1715
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Supposedly he was in town. I hope he was talking contract with Huff.
Hopefully something is cooking as the Argos have inked former Stamp Shaq Richardson to a contract for the rest of this season.

The Toronto Argonauts have added another NFL castoff.

Shaquille Richardson, 27, last played in the CFL with the Calgary Stampeders in 2017. He was one of the league’s best strong-side linebackers that year, recording 48 tackles, four interceptions, and one sack in 18 games.

https://3downnation.com/2019/10/15/a...le-richardson/
Old 10-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #1716
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder why didn't the Stamps wouldn't have signed him? Doesn't make a lot of sense that he would go to a team that's running out the string.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #1717
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say the asking money and the Stamps have plenty of guys at a cheaper rate, SAM has not been a problem.

Wall is starting there. Smith and Amos at HB. Raheem and Tre at corners. Then they have Gilbert, Jerome, Robertson, Moxey who all have played various spots this year.

Wonder if Huff will add anyone though, lotsa cap space and couple places (RB, WR, OL) where an upgrade can help.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #1718
Bent Wookie

Vaughters "drafted" by the DC Defenders of the XFL.

https://3downnation.com/2019/10/15/f...fl-draft-pick/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #1719
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Suitor has a problem with Bo Levi Mitchell and/or Dave Dickenson, maybe he should take it up with them directly rather than going on an Edmonton radio station and calling them out.

“I was disappointed with the conspiracy theories from Bo Levi Mitchell in his halftime (interview) when he said, ‘well, they’re clearly favouring Cody Fajardo,'” Suitor said.

“And Dave Dickenson, even — he’s better than this. And he even suggested that, you know, they’re … favouring the Riders with calls and stuff,” said Suitor. “I mean, it’s just not a good look.”

https://3downnation.com/2019/10/16/s...t-a-good-look/
Old 10-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #1720
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Well it’s not like he called in randomly to complain. It’s like Boomer asking Friedman about issues with the Oilers. What’s he supposed to do? Say he can’t answer because he’ll only give his opinion, which he’s paid to do, in private?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: