Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #721
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm lucky to have been an early adopter who gained a fair number of territories, and gathered up a lot of resources. All I can do now is attempt to hold on to territories and piss the newcomers off by constantly making them go back to regain the areas again.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #722
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I think we've included a lot of different ways for people to enjoy the game on their own terms. Whether it's in the regular world, the No Purchases world or creating their own for their friends only.

Puxlut, maybe switch into the CalgaryPuck world. I'm sure with fewer players there's more opportunity to stretch your legs in the game. You'll still gain troops in the other worlds at the same time so if you want to switch worlds later you won't be starting fresh.,
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #723
CrusaderPi
Redundant Minister of Redundancy
Self-Banned

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
I'm lucky to have been an early adopter who gained a fair number of territories, and gathered up a lot of resources. All I can do now is attempt to hold on to territories and piss the newcomers off by constantly making them go back to regain the areas again.
You're welcome. (PS: if you ever need more, just let me know)

I still think highly competitive territories need to be subdivided.
CrusaderPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #724
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, being in your alliance was certainly a primary reason. Being on my own when there wasaybe three of us playing in Edmonton helped too.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #725
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusaderPi View Post
I still think highly competitive territories need to be subdivided.
We wouldn't be able to divide highly competitive territories because there are just too many of them and the programming would be horrendous to do all of them individually.

We are talking about dividing each territory into 4 separate ones. The current owner of the territory would receive one and the remaining 3 would be up for grabs.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #726
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

So like 4 times the number of territories? Are you trying to increase the number of fatalities on our roads!?
Old 06-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #727
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

We'd only need one fatality directly caused by OTW and we wouldn't need to do any marketing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #728
CrusaderPi
Self-Banned

Exp:

I think dividing territory size by 4 is a bad idea and will make the problem worse. Urban territories will still be highly competitive, but travelers (like me) will be able to consumer 3 or 4 times as many territories and the massive resource advantage that comes with it.

I still think the best solution is a resource cap. Right now I, and many other players, basically have an unending supply of resources which we use to maintain fiefdoms and intimidate smalls.

Another solution is allowing alliance leaders to manage the alliance's resources. I would rather have smaller players join me than destroy them, but right now it simply costs me too much.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #729
jolinar of malkshor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Allow players to buy diamonds, say at a cost of 500 of each resource for 1 diamond.
jolinar of malkshor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #730
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

We won't let people buy diamonds with other resources. We want them to remain rare.

If we were to, we would also institute a resource cap.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #731
jolinar of malkshor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
We won't let people buy diamonds with other resources. We want them to remain rare.

If we were to, we would also institute a resource cap.
You wouldn't have to institute a resource cap if you did allow people to buy diamonds as the cost to purchase them would essentially be a resource cap.

You guys need to seriously look at adding some better attack options or defensive capabilities if you want this game to be something people play for a long time, otherwise, it is going to lose its novelty.

BTW, is there a rule about running multiple devises under the same account at the same time?
jolinar of malkshor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #732
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sir spanx, sirspanks83, and I think cookiemonster are all the same person.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #733
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought it yesterday. Loving it!
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #734
CrusaderPi
Self-Banned

Exp:

Quote:
Sir spanx, sirspanks83, and I think cookiemonster are all the same person.
Spanx and spanx83 are for sure.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #735
BlackEleven

Exp:

I now own the Eiffel Tower (thanks to free hotel wifi). Suck it, France.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #736
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's getting ridiculous how these guys are playing the game in Edmonton. Is there any way to find out exactly how many accounts this one guy is running? It's as if he uses some for attacking and some strictly for holding territories. Sort of takes the fun away when they can circumvent the rules.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #737
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolinar of malkshor View Post
You guys need to seriously look at adding some better attack options or defensive capabilities if you want this game to be something people play for a long time, otherwise, it is going to lose its novelty.

BTW, is there a rule about running multiple devises under the same account at the same time?
We have LOTS of features we want to add. It's just finding the time to do it. OTW pays the server bills and buys us few cases of beer a week but it's still very much a hobby while we each do our own full-time freelance work. We'll be dedicating more time to it this summer to try to bang out more features. We're also trying to get the WP7 version up to the same level as the iPhone and bring on an Android developer.

The rule about running multiple devices is that one must be stationary. So you can leave a fun running at home and then going to work with another. That's the only way it's allow and even that will be stopped in the next few months.

Quote:
It's getting ridiculous how these guys are playing the game in Edmonton. Is there any way to find out exactly how many accounts this one guy is running? It's as if he uses some for attacking and some strictly for holding territories. Sort of takes the fun away when they can circumvent the rules.
Spanx has two accounts as far as I can tell.

We can't prevent someone from playing with two accounts. It's like any game of this time. Some of our users take it VERY seriously and are uber competitive. If they cheat and we catch them, we do something about it. But if they're just hardcore plays there isn't anything we can do.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #738
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
That is my one really problem with the game. In a city like Calgary, new players can never really get established unless they pay for resources. Make the "free" world almost impossible to play.
Bought the game for my wife's phone and forgot about it for a couple weeks. Logged in to play while we were driving around last week and her troops had all been killed due to 'salting the earth'.

Now there doesnt seem to be any way that I can recover. Am I wrong?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #739
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Bought the game for my wife's phone and forgot about it for a couple weeks. Logged in to play while we were driving around last week and her troops had all been killed due to 'salting the earth'.

Now there doesnt seem to be any way that I can recover. Am I wrong?
Someone used "Salt the Earth" on all her territories or did she only have a couple territories?

You gain 1 troop every 30 secs you're in a territory so recovering is always possible. Propaganda works as well, though I usually reserve using that for territories with lots of troops.

We'd love to hear suggestions on how to make the game more accessible to new users. The problems with the ideas we've come up with is that they either 1) alienate the existing users or 2) would cause people to create new accounts to reap benefits given to new users.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #740
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

One idea to keep entrenched early adopters from deterring new users would be to have set beginning and end times for each "round" or game or whatever. It somewhat alienates the original users, but those folks should be the most well-prepared to start out the next "round" in the lead through their better knowledge and strategy.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote