Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2022, 11:48 AM   #1281
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Does anyone have a landscaping company they'd recommend?

Looking to get some mature Aspen's planted in my backyard. Thanks!

Why aspens? Those things are downright awful. Roots everywhere, choking out other nearby trees (my neighbour's aspens killed some of our trees) and don't even look that nice.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2022, 12:20 PM   #1282
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Any tips on what available chemical I can use to destroy bellflower and burdock? I pull and I pull, and every year there they are. I’m ready to go nuclear. Happy to kill anything in the immediate vicinity.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:42 PM   #1283
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Any tips on what available chemical I can use to destroy bellflower and burdock? I pull and I pull, and every year there they are. I’m ready to go nuclear. Happy to kill anything in the immediate vicinity.
I think Round-Up is the only thing that will touch it. And the stuff in the stores is pretty watered down...might need a couple of applications.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2022, 01:04 PM   #1284
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Why aspens? Those things are downright awful. Roots everywhere, choking out other nearby trees (my neighbour's aspens killed some of our trees) and don't even look that nice.
We have swedish aspens, and hate them as well.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 01:22 PM   #1285
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually don't have a strong preference. They were just what I've had in the past.

Is there another tree you'd recommend? I really don't know much about this stuff.

My main goal is for privacy along my fence line.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 01:25 PM   #1286
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Don't get the hate for the aspen's, there's a reason they are so popular. With the narrow backyards we have these days, they are really the only true choice for a privacy tree. Especially if you want privacy within 2-3 years of planting. I don't have any issues with roots, just a few sucklings here and there, but I think the root's being bad thing is a carry over from the very bad poplar trees.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:27 PM   #1287
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All trees root everywhere. They don't choke out other trees. Are they too close together?
Old 06-09-2022, 01:30 PM   #1288
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
I think Round-Up is the only thing that will touch it. And the stuff in the stores is pretty watered down...might need a couple of applications.
RU does nothing to creeping bellflower.

The only solution to CB:

Dig up the soil.
Burn soil.
Put new soil in.

And if your neighbours have it, then you're SOL.

CB is endemic in the "inner city".

Last edited by Shazam; 06-09-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shazam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2022, 02:16 PM   #1289
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

My yard clean-up dude suggested a combination of white vinegar, sea salt, and Dawn dish liquid. Mix it up and pour some onto your most hated weeds. He has warned me it is definitely a scorched earth type approach, so I haven't used it on my weeds and am sticking to a weed puller for the lawn, and bare hands for the flower bed. But we have a low maintenance backyard so we might use it against some of the weeds that pop out between the paving stones.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 02:20 PM   #1290
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Salt kills everything. Everything. You will cause an environmental disaster. I'm not even kidding. It doesn't leave either, so all you've done is created useless soil.

And for ####'s sake STOP USING DISH SOAP. It is both an insecticide and more worryingly, a piscicide, and a VERY POWERFUL one.

Goddamned city is run by numbskulls. Pissing their pants over 2,4-D while everybody goes nuts with dish soap.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:58 PM   #1291
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Any actual landscapers in this thread? looking to rip up some dead sod and replace with new! small yard
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:27 PM   #1292
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Know a few people who've been happy with Blue Grass Nursery. They're the ones that do the growing and they'll also come in and deliver/plant the trees for you.

Landscaping guys will just be getting the trees from them anyways. This way you can go out to the yard, pick the tree (if you care that much) and have them deliver/plant it for you.

Out by Balsack mall
I am having work done right now by Canadian Landscape Services Inc.
They are fast, doing excellent work, and the quote was actually about 65% of what we expected. Full yard gut, irrigation added in, re-sod, built a garden area, added about 20 plants, bordered the planting areas, limestone in the planter beds, trimmed existing trees, dug out 30 years of spruce needles...

I HIGHLY recommend them and Tony, who is the owner, is great.

Last edited by IamNotKenKing; 06-09-2022 at 03:58 PM.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:32 PM   #1293
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Aspens are a decent choice as they are pretty well suited to the windy/dry/cold local climate. What I worry about is the inevitable aspen disease that will wipe out the whole city at some point because everyone plants the same thing.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:35 PM   #1294
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This has been a multi-year project for me.

Are you pulling, or digging?

Need to meticulously follow the little tubers until you find the carrot that is way deep down somewhere. An oddly satisfying, massive, massive pain in the ass.

Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:38 PM   #1295
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Aspens are a decent choice as they are pretty well suited to the windy/dry/cold local climate. What I worry about is the inevitable aspen disease that will wipe out the whole city at some point because everyone plants the same thing.
Bronze Leaf Disease. I had trees that got it. I pruned off affected branches. Last year nothing really.

There's lots of diseases. Here's some common ones that will wipe out the whole city at some point because everyone plants the same thing.

Fireblight.
Oystershell scale.
Black knot.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:44 PM   #1296
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Need to meticulously follow the little tubers until you find the carrot that is way deep down somewhere. An oddly satisfying, massive, massive pain in the ass.

Any broken pieces of root will all turn into new plants.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:47 PM   #1297
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

There is a bunch of stuff in the way so some of it I can dig out, others I can only pull, and as mentioned under the “SOL” category my neighbour has it and it creeps over to my lawn (how it showed up in the first place I think).

Honestly, destroying the soil with salt is incredibly appealing.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:08 PM   #1298
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had great success with roundup on creeping bellflower. If its in an area around grass, just paint onto the leaves. Killed the rhizome too
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:33 PM   #1299
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

You sure it was creeping bellflower? Because first off you'd be painting for days because that #### spreads like mad, and second there are no herbicides that kill it 100%.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:45 PM   #1300
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Don't get the hate for the aspen's, there's a reason they are so popular. With the narrow backyards we have these days, they are really the only true choice for a privacy tree. Especially if you want privacy within 2-3 years of planting. I don't have any issues with roots, just a few sucklings here and there, but I think the root's being bad thing is a carry over from the very bad poplar trees.
And their roots sucker all over, like into my perennial flower beds.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies