Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #2961
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
Hey Chris,

So, I fly back to Calgary from Houston in mid February. I noticed something with the pricing. Flying direct from Houston to Calgary is about $1000. At the same time, with the same originating flight, flying from Houston to Victoria, through Calgary, is about $300 less.

What's to stop me from booking the Houston to Victoria ticket and just walk out in Calgary, never showing up for the Victoria leg?

Other than having checked bags, I can't think of anything. Will I get blacklisted with that airline? Will it raise flags with Canada Customs and cause me trouble there?

Has anyone tried this before? It's not the first time I've noticed such pricing.

Thanks!
You have to pick up your bags to go through Canada Customs and Immigration in Calgary, so this works even if you have checked luggage. The airline will cancel any future flights on the same ticket though, so you can only do this on one way flights or on the return leg. Tons of information is available online, it's called hidden city ticketing.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #2962
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oy Tiggins View Post
Anyone have a hotel recommendation near MSG?
I will send you a PM right now...
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #2963
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am wondering if the sub $300 direct flights to Orlando with WestJet are a thing of the past? They have a Saturday direct flight that doesnt seem to ever drop lately.

Has anyone seen a direct flight to Orlando, heck even a reasonable connection flight to Orlando around the $200 mark lately?

We are looking for October of this year.

Thanks.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #2964
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
I am wondering if the sub $300 direct flights to Orlando with WestJet are a thing of the past? They have a Saturday direct flight that doesnt seem to ever drop lately.

Has anyone seen a direct flight to Orlando, heck even a reasonable connection flight to Orlando around the $200 mark lately?

We are looking for October of this year.

Thanks.
In April of 2011, I was able to get a sub-$200 connecting flight from United (I believe). It connected through Dallas. The return direct WJ flight I had was a little over $300, so total cost return was about $500, but I could've done better had I went connecting on the way back too.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #2965
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
In April of 2011, I was able to get a sub-$200 connecting flight from United (I believe). It connected through Dallas. The return direct WJ flight I had was a little over $300, so total cost return was about $500, but I could've done better had I went connecting on the way back too.
Yeah, in 2010 we were able to snag the direct flights from westjet for $249.

We would love to find a round trip total cost at $500 per person if possible. I kinda figured YYC-MCO would be a trip you could usually find a sale on since there is quite a few carriers that make that trip in one way or another. Maybe we just need to wait a while.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #2966
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem is all the competing sections connect.

WJ knows it can charge a premium for those who want to fly non stop.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #2967
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I also wonder if you could ask the agent to check your bags to the first leg, so you could access them before the connection?
In this case it works, as mentioned because of customs.

I have asked an airline to do this for me two times, one time worked and one time didn't.

The time it worked: I actually had a legit reason to do it. Following a vacation at the Olympics in Vancouver, I was flying to Chicago but the flight had a stopover in Edmonton. It was a business trip in Chicago and I didn't want to have to bring a suit on my vacation. I was also only in Chicago for two days so I didn't want to bring a week's worth of luggage all the way there. Since I lived in Edmonton, I put my Chicago luggage in my car in the parkade. I asked in Vancouver if they would short check my bags to Edmonton and they did. Then I swapped luggage out of my car and re-checked my other bag.

The time it didn't work: I was flying from Oklahoma City to Edmonton with a stop in Chicago. My company had a charter flight out of Chicago that night so I wondered if I would be able to just get out at the Chicago connection and watch the Blackhawks game that evening and then fly back on the charter.

I asked at the desk if they would short check my bags to Chicago and they were pretty irritated and said they wouldn't do that for me. I was travelling with a co-worker and what we ended up doing is checked both bags under my name and he got out at Chicago while I went all the way back to Edmonton.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #2968
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am going to be in Vancouver (Burnaby) from Feb. 14-19. What is the best site to check for smoking deals on hotels?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #2969
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I am going to be in Vancouver (Burnaby) from Feb. 14-19. What is the best site to check for smoking deals on hotels?
www.priceline.com and their "name your own price" feature.

Then use www.betterbidding.com to see what kind of deals you can get.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #2970
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Hey RubeCube, can you refresh my memory, I don't recall seeing a message about this on Twitter? Did I reply?

I think the tough part is defining what you consider a 'deal'. It can be a pretty subjective term.

On my site, I'm comparing the current prices from the Canadian Tour Operators against the quality of the resorts involved, to determine in which packages a person is getting the most for the least. I like when a price gets way out of line (in favor of the traveler) relative to the quality of the resort involved. The more out of line it gets, the higher the Deal Score.

Using historical price data could be another way to define a 'good deal', if the price for resort X is cheaper now than it usually is.

Sorry, I meant I had been bugging you to create a version of your ultimate all-inclusive finder for Victoria, similar to the ones you had for YVR, YYC, etc. Just a suggestion, but something you may want to consider doing is allowing people to choose the departure city in the tool, especially for YVR where we have YYJ, Abbotsford, Nanaimo, etc. all within striking distance.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #2971
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

For instance, where would this rank as far as a deal goes from YYJ?

https://www.expedia.ca/daily/enc4105...ripdetails.asp

Price Summary
2 adult(s) x C$969.00 C$1938.00
2 adult(s) x C$230.00 tax C$460.00

Final price: C$2398.00

Hotel: 7 nights
Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort Spa - Ai /156

It advertises itself as 4.5 star, with an average 4/5 on TA.

Last edited by rubecube; 02-06-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #2972
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
For instance, where would this rank as far as a deal goes from YYJ?

https://www.expedia.ca/daily/enc4105...ripdetails.asp

Price Summary
2 adult(s) x C$969.00 C$1938.00
2 adult(s) x C$230.00 tax C$460.00

Final price: C$2398.00

Hotel: 7 nights
Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort Spa - Ai /156

It advertises itself as 4.5 star, with an average 4/5 on TA.
There's a fairly identical package from YVR, for a nearly identical price, for 7 nights, to the Grand Palladium Vallarta, and it has been given a Deal Score of 65 out of 100.

Not sure where you're seeing it listed as 4.5 stars, but it's listed as 3.5 star on TripAdvisor. Based on that, in combination with the review feedback data, I'd say it probably deserves a solid 3.5 stars out of 5.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #2973
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to San Francisco | Direct flights for $294 roundtrip after taxes

Similar to the flights to Phoenix last week, there's another temporary member in the $200-something club from YYC. This week it's the non-stop, direct flights to San Francisco, through Air Canada (although the flights look to be operated by United Express).

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-san-f...ip-after-taxes

Availability from March through June.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #2974
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

A little Giants baseball, A's baseball, San Jose Earthquakes soccer and Sharks playoffs (possibly!) and eating cioppino? Sounds great! I'm trying to convince a buddy!

Getting a deal on a hotel in SF seems tough...
Old 02-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #2975
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
A little Giants baseball, A's baseball, San Jose Earthquakes soccer and Sharks playoffs (possibly!) and eating cioppino? Sounds great! I'm trying to convince a buddy!

Getting a deal on a hotel in SF seems tough...
Give AirBNB a try!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #2976
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Chris,

Am I missing something, or does the U.S. seem to lack a lot of designated charter companies a la Transat, Sunwing, etc.? Also, do you know operates charters from YVR to Panama, and if the all-inclusives down there are worth it? I've seen a few deals and mixed reviews but can't locate the carrier.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #2977
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Hey Chris,

Am I missing something, or does the U.S. seem to lack a lot of designated charter companies a la Transat, Sunwing, etc.? Also, do you know operates charters from YVR to Panama, and if the all-inclusives down there are worth it? I've seen a few deals and mixed reviews but can't locate the carrier.
Nope you're not missing anything, charter airlines offering flights to warm destinations (and Europe) are kind of a Canadian only thing. It's one area of travel where prices can actually be more competitive from Canada than from the U.S.

Air Transat is the one who offers charters from Vancouver to Panama. There's really just the Royal Decameron down in Panama that's offered as an all inclusive hotel through Transat Holidays and Nolitours (who uses the Transat flights).

Ok, there's a couple other all inclusive hotels in Panama, but the Decameron is the one that can get cheap enough to be a decent deal. The Decameron in Panama seems to be deserving of a 3 out of 5 in my opinion, certainly not a spectacular place by any means. The point being, there's not a whole lot of all inclusive hotels to choose from in Panama!

I have seen 1 week all inclusive packages to the Decameron go down into the range of $700 something per person, after taxes & fees, which is a pretty decent deal considering most people pay at least that for airfare alone to Central America. It's like getting accommodations, meals and drinks for free.

When you get into the realm of all inclusive packages though, I find a person almost needs to compare it against the big 3 of Cuba, Mexico, and the Dominican, where there are a *ton* of all inclusive resorts and you generally get the most resort for your dollar.

Unless of course you place value on the fact that it's in Panama, and not a typical all inclusive country. Flights to Panama are typically more expensive than flights to Mexico, the question becomes, does it matter to the all inclusive traveler that they're in Panama and not Mexico?

If it doesn't matter, then I'd say the traveler may as well look at packages in destinations where you're going to get the most resort for your dollar.

If the fact that you're in Panama does add value to the traveler, then I'd say considering what it would normally cost you to get a flight to Panama and accommodation, there can be some pretty good package prices from Transat on occasion.

The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #2978
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, I think that's what we may end up doing. I've stayed at Decameron complexes before and they're all relatively the same, and my buddy and I have been dying to hit Panama.

I'm also looking at taking Allegiant out of Bellingham and then packaging a flight from LAX with a hotel in Panama, but it doesn't seem to save any money or time.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #2979
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air Canada has a seat sale right now (until tomorrow night) which doesn't mean a whole lot for most of its routes but if you are flying Calgary-Toronto round trip at some point between now and late June it's about $100 off of what you would normally pay. You don't get a greater discount than that usually.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #2980
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Air Canada has a seat sale right now (until tomorrow night) which doesn't mean a whole lot for most of its routes but if you are flying Calgary-Toronto round trip at some point between now and late June it's about $100 off of what you would normally pay. You don't get a greater discount than that usually.
is 512~ to Toronto there and back really a good price tho?
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote