Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-26-2020, 12:09 AM   #6101
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Anyone who thinks CP - and this thread in particular - is representative of the general Calgary public is delusional. Or spends all their time online. Just look at the shock here over church attendance.

But CP isn’t any different than most online forums. The extremely online skew young, educated, white-collar, and liberal. How many drywallers, truck drivers, hairdressers, people with no post-secondary education, regular church-goers, or people over 60 are active here?
That’s because the over 60 church goers are busy on Twitter and Facebook getting convinced the US election was rigged and covid is a Chinese hoax to spend any time on cp. why would they want to chat with us brainwashed sheeple anyways?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:22 AM   #6102
Leondros
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Anyone who thinks CP - and this thread in particular - is representative of the general Calgary public is delusional. Or spends all their time online. Just look at the shock here over church attendance.

But CP isn’t any different than most online forums. The extremely online skew young, educated, white-collar, and liberal. How many drywallers, truck drivers, hairdressers, people with no post-secondary education, regular church-goers, or people over 60 are active here?
Or people making 130% bonuses this year..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture
130% bonus woop woop
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:29 AM   #6103
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Or people making 130% bonuses this year..
Lol, ok, fair enough that may have been in poor taste.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:33 AM   #6104
Leondros
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Lol, ok, fair enough that may have been in poor taste.
In all honestly I am glad your company is doing well. But its clearly one of the few and not indicative of what the majority of this province is going through. Not meant to be an attack or anything but the majority of the province is hurting - just try to put yourself in other people's shoes.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 01:35 AM   #6105
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMike View Post
Lol you can’t possibly think Kenney is worse than Redford or Stelmach.
I do and to go further I don't think it's even close.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 02:04 AM   #6106
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Yeah. Should Kenney be evaluated against the standards of his times, a backdrop against which his AB predecessors did not have to present themselves?

Against a backdrop of morality and truth going out the window, Kenney looks better than he would against a less insane backdrop

He is like Edmonton ... not good

(Not to say he can’t do reasonable things here and there. But he is generally no good.)
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:11 AM   #6107
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
In my community some dolt is trying to set up a “peaceful” protest against compulsory masking and restrictions.

People can be so stupid.
There’s something very interesting about a civic politician publicly stating how stupid a peaceful protest in their community can be.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:59 AM   #6108
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
There’s something very interesting about a civic politician publicly stating how stupid a peaceful protest in their community can be.
There’s something very interesting about anyone at all reading that and thinking peaceful protest was the part that was being called stupid.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:45 AM   #6109
accord1999
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
Nowhere did I say our response has been as bad as New York. Nowhere have I said we're the worst in the world. I have said we can see what happens when nothing is done and we know where we're headed if we don't pick it up. Do you think trained ICU staff are just hanging around ready to work? You're also forgetting that with more cases more staff get sick when that happens multiple members of the team are forced into quarantine. It's already happening.
And my point is that there's still a long distance between Alberta's current ICU occupancy and a true disaster and I don't question the ability of AHS to add more useful ICU capacity (even if they aren't at the same standards as pre-pandemic) because every other health care system in the world has done the same planning, and in many cases already had to implement extra capacity like Ontario and Quebec, American states and Western Europe.

And while it's right to be concerned about Alberta's ICU capacity usage, there's a still long way to go to reach the per-capita levels that Quebec or Ontario reached in the first wave, let alone true disaster areas. France as an example apparently had more than 7000 COVID patients in ICU care, out of a pre-pandemic capacity of just 6000. For the second wave, COVID ICU usage peaked at almost 5000.

https://dashboard.covid19.data.gouv....e?location=FRA

Last edited by accord1999; 11-26-2020 at 05:03 AM.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:59 AM   #6110
accord1999
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The other problem with expanding ICU capacity is it directly steals from other health care capacity. That will have significant consequences as well.
Certainly, but virtually every health care system outside of East/SE Asia and Oceania has been forced to reserve medical resources for COVID, with Alberta having been fortunate so far to not need that much compared to much more hard-hit regions. And I imagine that AHS will only be incrementally adding capacity as needed, to avoid the mistakes of the spring and summer where many systems reserved too much capacity for COVID for a NYC or Italy level wave.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote