Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #1281
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
If that's the end of it, then she's a waste of a character. I'll be disappointment in that decision.

Outside of 4 or 5 characters, the rest are just lawn furniture that they give the occasional line to. They could have saved some cash by CGI'ing some crew members in who's sole job is to say Aye sir and press some buttons.
Funny, at the end of the episode when they're watching the Buster Keaton movie, I was thinking did all of those people agree to the time jump? I should watch the season 2 finale again. While the bridge crew was acknowledging their own bravery during their dinner, did all of those other crew members just get dragged along into the future without consent?

Also, they were laughing a little too much. I don't think the old classics are *that* hilarious.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2020, 01:48 AM   #1282
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Funny, at the end of the episode when they're watching the Buster Keaton movie, I was thinking did all of those people agree to the time jump? I should watch the season 2 finale again. While the bridge crew was acknowledging their own bravery during their dinner, did all of those other crew members just get dragged along into the future without consent?

Also, they were laughing a little too much. I don't think the old classics are *that* hilarious.
I thought the same thing in the first episode. The S2 finale made it look like only the bridge crew agreed to remain on board and now the whole crew decided within a few seconds to abandon their families?

Also last week we saw Tilly bemoaning the death of dozens of crew members. Did they die during the time jump?
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:05 PM   #1283
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just caught up on the last two episodes of Discovery. This season feels like a huge improvement. I’m really impressed. Episode 4 is one of my favourite episodes of the whole series. I agree, it seemed too convenient to send Michael to Trill but I think they used her well there. Aka, they didn’t lay it on thick with her. I loved the Saru/Culber pairing. Great stuff from everyone involved. I feel like the show is finally finding itself.

Last edited by Tabaracci_31; 11-10-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Tabaracci_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:59 PM   #1284
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I just watched the first season and...it was definitely something.

Someone please tell me this show gets better.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:02 PM   #1285
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Rye View Post
So I just watched the first season and...it was definitely something.

Someone please tell me this show gets better.

S2 is slightly better. S3 has been very good so far.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #1286
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
S2 is slightly better. S3 has been very good so far.
Works for me.

I watched Voyager so I'd probably keep watching regardless but season 1 was Nic Cage levels of terrible and it kinda popped me on the fence.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:46 PM   #1287
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Pretty good episode tonight. For some reason the writing is a lot better this season. Though there's still too much Burnham is awesome speech making. But there's growing problems between Saru and Burnham. When does she do another end around on him and take command.

Really nice tribute tonight to actor Aaron Eisenberg who played Nog on DS9, when we saw the USS Nog. He sounds like he was a genuienly great guy.

I groaned when I saw the Voyager J. Really.

Interesting to see David Cronenberg on the show. I have questions about who he is.

Not a bad season so far, far superior to the terrible first season and underwhelming second.

Good to see.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 11:32 PM   #1288
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea, that was another solid episode tonight. The show seems to have finally found its legs, and I'm really starting to enjoy the chemistry between the characters.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:33 AM   #1289
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty good episode tonight. For some reason the writing is a lot better this season. Though there's still too much Burnham is awesome speech making. But there's growing problems between Saru and Burnham. When does she do another end around on him and take command.

Really nice tribute tonight to actor Aaron Eisenberg who played Nog on DS9, when we saw the USS Nog. He sounds like he was a genuienly great guy.

I groaned when I saw the Voyager J. Really.
The show almost reached self-awareness about the Burnham part too when the EMH was telling Burnham that she was "prone to emotional exaggeration", but just almost.

The Nog was pretty cool, he must have done some really great stuff after DS9 ended to still have a ship named after him a thousand years later. Lots of reference a whole bunch of stuff from previous Treks, like them fighting a Temporal War for the better part of a the century before the Burn. Definitely more interested this season than the first one.

David Cronenberg's gotta be with future Section 31 right?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:59 AM   #1290
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Considering they're making a Section 31 series with her, yeah, Its either that or he's another mirror universe refugee.

They were really close on Burnham. She's been a bit better, but she's had these moments in every episode of blindingly bad over acting that pulls you out of things.

Ok fun speculation time

Detner
Spoiler!

The Burn
Spoiler!

Old 11-13-2020, 09:44 AM   #1291
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you're right about Detner, on the second point I think

Spoiler!

This season has been shockingly good. Back to "real" Trek, even back to TOS in the way they frame a lot of the shots. Does tell you though how they really boxed themselves in the first two seasons with the hindrance of being a prequel.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #1292
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just shows you how bad Fuller and Harberts were as show runners for the first couple of seasons. The random, abusive and toxic work environments really messed up the direction for the show.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:14 AM   #1293
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I think you're right about Detner, on the second point I think

Spoiler!

This season has been shockingly good. Back to "real" Trek, even back to TOS in the way they frame a lot of the shots. Does tell you though how they really boxed themselves in the first two seasons with the hindrance of being a prequel.

I looked it up, and its not clear

Spoiler!

Old 11-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #1294
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I looked it up, and its not clear

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Old 11-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #1295
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Spoiler!

Well they really weren't once Voyager got through with them. Jane Way ripped their guts out, destroyed their transwarp hub. Stole their Technology somehow melding it with Federation technology in a matter of hours, making Voyager nearly indestructible with a one shot capability of destroying Borg cubes.

If we went with that theory, why hadn't Star fleet gone away from Warp to Transwarp after Janeway got Voyager home?

Old 11-13-2020, 12:52 PM   #1296
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well they really weren't once Voyager got through with them. Jane Way ripped their guts out, destroyed their transwarp hub. Stole their Technology somehow melding it with Federation technology in a matter of hours, making Voyager nearly indestructible with a one shot capability of destroying Borg cubes.

If we went with that theory, why hadn't Star fleet gone away from Warp to Transwarp after Janeway got Voyager home?
The V’draysh would find using transwarp conduits sneaky, just like cloaking devices and rechargeable shields.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #1297
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Some treaty to make Starfleet not super overpowered? Like writers put in the Treaty of Algernon and stopped Starfleet from having cloaking devices, Temporal accords banning time travel technology. I could see other powers trying to force a treaty after seeing this super overpowered future tech Starfleet ship come and blow up like half the Borg collective, and the Federation accepting the treaty for the sake of peace regardless of consequences (Cardassian/Federation peace treaty stranding Federation outposts in the DMZ spawning the Maquis)
Old 11-13-2020, 07:53 PM   #1298
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Waitaminute.....

NSFW!
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:58 PM   #1299
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Waitaminute.....

NSFW!
Show is in the prime timeline, so Romulus was still obliterated by a supernova like 600 years before the current Discovery time period.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:32 PM   #1300
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bold prediction:

They caused The Burn. I am not sure how yet, but might have been another escape from Control and having to choose between “some deaths” vs “end of all organic life”.

Cronenberg was cool.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote