Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 10:59 PM   #9021
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
What would you accept for Stajan. A 3rd?
Nothing. The guy has been a warrior for us and will play any role that is asked. I think it would be douchy to trade him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 11:00 PM   #9022
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Nothing. The guy has been a warrior for us and will play any role that is asked. I think it would be douchy to trade him.
I agree with the sentiment, but "nothing"? I liked Glencross, Russell and Hudler (not as much as Stajan from a likeability standpoint but still...) but I loved the return for them.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:01 PM   #9023
JJolg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Are we looking to be friends with him or win hockey games
Old 02-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #9024
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJolg View Post
Well, he's actually been helping us win hockey games since 2018 rolled around for what it's worth.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:05 PM   #9025
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJolg View Post
The original point was that a draft pick doesn't win any hockey games this year. And the kind of pick you get for Stajan, which turns into a guy that probably doesn't make Stockton, isn't really a benefit at all, in return for disrupting the team. Can Lazar play fourth line centre? I'm not wanting to experiment right now.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:31 PM   #9026
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the return for Stajan is a 7th rounder, you probably just keep him. If you could get a 2nd or 3rd for him, move him.

He is not a difference maker on this team. We could replace him with an AHLer. The Flames could probably dress a 7th defenseman and play him at forward and get the same production as what Stajan brings.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:42 PM   #9027
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
If the return for Stajan is a 7th rounder, you probably just keep him. If you could get a 2nd or 3rd for him, move him.
Yes. This.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:58 PM   #9028
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Fox is probably worth a 10-20 overall pick if we trade him. I wonder if we could trade Fox to Islanders for our first rounder. Even if we could, would you want to?
Old 02-25-2018, 12:01 AM   #9029
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Fox is probably worth a 10-20 overall pick if we trade him. I wonder if we could trade Fox to Islanders for our first rounder. Even if we could, would you want to?
I would do that. Fox may not sign with the Flames and they have a bunch of defensemen prospects maturing at the same time. Fox is an excellent prospect, but a mid first round pick is an excellent return.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:10 AM   #9030
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Quoted for truth.

Trading Stajan is how you mess up the room.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 12:11 AM   #9031
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I’d rather help now. Not saying rental. But I’d rather trade fox for someone who can step in right away instead of picks. Let’s just make the damn playoffs.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:12 AM   #9032
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I agree with the sentiment, but "nothing"? I liked Glencross, Russell and Hudler (not as much as Stajan from a likeability standpoint but still...) but I loved the return for them.
Come on.
He obviously knows that no one is offering much.
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 12:22 AM   #9033
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

As unpopular as he is on this board, I wish to hell there was some way to offer Stajan some sort of position in the organization next year -he’s so popular with the guys on the team, and despite his somewhat limited contributions on the ice, he’s a valued leader especially to the younger guys. When he was gooned the other night by Rinaldo, there would have been a lineup to murder him if Ferland didn’t get there first, and Ferly would have killed him if not for the refs.Add to that the fact that he and his wife genuinely love the city, and do a ton of good things in the community.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:25 AM   #9034
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
As unpopular as he is on this board, I wish to hell there was some way to offer Stajan some sort of position in the organization next year -he’s so popular with the guys on the team, and despite his somewhat limited contributions on the ice, he’s a valued leader especially to the younger guys. When he was gooned the other night by Rinaldo, there would have been a lineup to murder him if Ferland didn’t get there first, and Ferly would have killed him if not for the refs.Add to that the fact that he and his wife genuinely love the city, and do a ton of good things in the community.
I think more people than not like him. He's done whatever was asked of him by the team.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:52 AM   #9035
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I was writing a longer response, but what it comes down to it that although fans are aware that he has value as a prospect, they don't know the extent of that value. So when teams might be willing to give up more for him than Valimaki, Andersson or Kylington, that sounds great. Sell away! Not enough thought as to why he holds more value.

Fox has never given any indication that he will bolt to free agency.
He's potentially our best prospect.
I think he’s potentially the powerplay QB we need. Also, if we’re terrified that every college prospect will bolt, why draft any of them?
Old 02-25-2018, 06:04 AM   #9036
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fox has lots of value, but right now he has more value to the Flames being a trade chip. The Flames have a few good Days prospects and they have holes in the lineup right now, if they can deal for to help the team now it won't really hurt that much in the future because they have a few good Days prospects. There is also the unknown factors of if he will turn out or even sign here.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:05 AM   #9037
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
I think he’s potentially the powerplay QB we need. Also, if we’re terrified that every college prospect will bolt, why draft any of them?
I don't know that any team is "terrified" that "every" college draft pick won't sign, but lets be real here....it happens. That should not prevent a team from drafting them to begin with however. As we see right now, they can still be used as assets to get something you need.

You have the kid for a couple years before you need to sign him to assure they are part of the long term. If you don't get them signed in that time frame though, you have to be pragmatic about things and realize they could walk for nothing. Sometimes that doesnt matter, but in the case of a guy like Fox, it matters a whole bunch.

Treliving and company have very likely figured out if he will sign or not and when he would be willing to do that. If he isn't willing to do so this year, then you have to look at dealing him either now or over the summer. His value to the Flames isn't just what he might do IF he is a member of the club, he also allows them to deal from a strength.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:16 AM   #9038
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Please someone tell me the last time a player who has never attended an NHL training camp nevemind played a game has been traded for a first round pick?
Old 02-25-2018, 07:09 AM   #9039
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
Please someone tell me the last time a player who has never attended an NHL training camp nevemind played a game has been traded for a first round pick?
David runblad, a similar prospect to fox (smaller defender with defensive question marks but legendary offensive production) got traded for the pick that selected tarasenko
Old 02-25-2018, 07:51 AM   #9040
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjolg View Post
are we looking to be friends with him or win hockey games
x2!
The Following User Says Thank You to RoughRiderRowdy For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread