Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2017, 08:11 AM   #5501
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The MEC bikes are roughly equivalent to the Treks, Giants, etc brand name 20" bikes. They are heavier than necessary use Tourney level components which are good enough, have double wall wheels and decent bearings.

They all still have a relatively useless coil spring front suspension fork which has to high of spring rate for the weight of the kids on the bike. The only suspension fork on a kids bike worth getting is the Springer air fork where you can adjust the pressure to the kids weight.

But you can't really go wrong with any of them and will serve as a good bike for multiple kids with decent resale value
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #5502
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

With that somewhat friendly tail/side wind this afternoon there were some good strava times to be had....
Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #5503
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeppers, 4 PR's and on one segment 2nd overall. 2 seconds off KOM.
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #5504
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was south of Bragg Creek on 66 last night getting a campsite. I almost never see animals out there as it's busy with traffic. It was rainy so no one biking, very few campers. Saw a black bear just past Moose Mountain, a grizzly just before the downhill to the end of the pavement. Then, on the way back, a female moose right by Station flats. Crazy amount of wildlife enjoying the moisture and cool temps.

Also, I killed a magpie on my commute home last night. Dummy jumped right in front of my front wheel and I speed bumped him. I've seen a million of them jump away from the path in the past, this one went the wrong way. Oops.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #5505
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

CP Group Ride August 19 if anyone is interested, details to follow:

https://www.strava.com/clubs/189060/discussion
Old 08-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #5506
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sadly I can't make any of those dates...

Also who would have created the Fox Hollow Speedster segment and have it end with you needing to go across the train tracks? Dumb.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #5507
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bigtime noo!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #5508
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like the magpies are getting stupider? I've never had any close calls with them, until a couple this week.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #5509
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

This is a cool event coming up in Calgary, but only if enough tickets are purchased. The film Le Ride will be playing at Eau Claire on August 23rd.

Reserve Your Tickets: https://tickets.demand.film/event/1969

LE RIDE follows Phil Keoghan and his friend Ben Cornell as they attempt to recreate the original route of the 1928 Tour de France. Averaging 240 kilometres a day for 26 days, Phil and Ben traverse both the unforgiving mountains of the Pyrenees and the Alps, on original vintage steel racing bikes with no gears and marginal brakes. The documentary takes inspiration from the remarkable true story of Australians Sir Hubert Opperman, Ernie Bainbridge and Percy Osborne, and New Zealander Harry Watson as the first English speaking team to compete in the Tour de France. They arrived after six weeks at sea, under-trained and under-resourced, untested and completely written off by the French media. The 1928 Tour was the toughest in history – a hell on wheels race of attrition. Only 41 finished out of 161 starters yet remarkably three were from the Australasian team. This extraordinary story of achievement against the odds has never been told on film – until now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 01:57 PM   #5510
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Also who would have created the Fox Hollow Speedster segment and have it end with you needing to go across the train tracks? Dumb.
Probably the same guy who created a downhill segment for the Shag Ripper. It, too, has railroad tracks/bottleneck at the bottom as well as a couple of blind corners. It is definitely not a part of the pathway where you should be going all out.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #5511
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

I was thinking that as I almost died trying to get KOM a couple days ago.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #5512
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
I was thinking that as I almost died trying to get KOM a couple days ago.
I saw that, I worry that the speedster will consume you in your quest to get KOM. Like the one ring of power.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #5513
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can see my skid mark at the bend as I came off the pathway on Monday at 50kph and almost went into those pile of rocks. I need to move those rocks in case I do that again. Then on Tuesday I slowed down enough for the bend but then almost ran into the fence at the train tracks. So quite possible I will injure myself.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #5514
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I've got a weird clicking noise coming out of the crank on the drive side. It doesn't happen unless the bike is under load from me riding on it. It always clicks and I feel it through my foot when the right-side (chain side) pedal is at the 12 O'Clock position. It's very disconcerting when riding.

I've checked everything I can think of aside from taking off the pedal or taking apart the bottom bracket bearing which I wouldn't know how to do. It's hard to replicate or test because it only happens when I'm riding or putting weight on the bike.

Any ideas?
Old 08-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #5515
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like a bottom bracket to me.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #5516
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I've got a weird clicking noise coming out of the crank on the drive side. It doesn't happen unless the bike is under load from me riding on it. It always clicks and I feel it through my foot when the right-side (chain side) pedal is at the 12 O'Clock position. It's very disconcerting when riding.

I've checked everything I can think of aside from taking off the pedal or taking apart the bottom bracket bearing which I wouldn't know how to do. It's hard to replicate or test because it only happens when I'm riding or putting weight on the bike.

Any ideas?
Stand up and pedal if the noise doesn't happen. Tighten up your seat.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:08 PM   #5517
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drove out to revelstoke today to start my bike holiday. I went for a 10k spin down flowdown today.

We ride at my. Macpherson tomorrow, golden on Saturday and frisby ridge monday.

It was warm today, but manageable in the trees. I did not notice the smoke in the air
Old 08-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #5518
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Drove out to revelstoke today to start my bike holiday. I went for a 10k spin down flowdown today.

We ride at my. Macpherson tomorrow, golden on Saturday and frisby ridge monday.

It was warm today, but manageable in the trees. I did not notice the smoke in the air
Weird, I was on my way back from Whistler and stopped there for a 7k spin on tantrum/flowdown around 4pm or so. First time there but holy was that a fun trail (flowdown).
Old 08-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #5519
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rode the South part of the tour de Calgary this morning, and it was great (Glenmore reservoir, to Sikome lake). Then I had to turn North.
What a nightmare.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #5520
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who is the guy in our Strava club that has done 6,500m climbing this week? I don't even do that much climbing in a month.
Closed Thread