Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2018, 05:38 AM   #3601
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The one thing that helped Wonderwoman and maybe I'm sexist for it, is that its the first stand alone film with a woman super hero, and I agree that it now comes down to being able to keep the momentum from it.
I don't think the female angle alone would have carried it as far as it got, although it certainly helped. They also managed to cast it well, which is super important, and had pretty good timing, being a more straightforward superhero story than what Marvel put out at the time. It was ultimately one superhero interacting with normal humans in a fairly ordinary world, in a historical era that's simultaneously fairly well known but not too often portrayed in movies. In contrast, a lot of Marvel movies are more about aliens, mutants and other supernatural people interacting with each other, which creates a very different tone. (Generally it's a good thing as it helps make the stories about something other than what it's like having superpowers.)

It was also a stroke of genius making Wonder Woman the audience stand in with her (essentially modern) ideas of gender clashing with the "silly old times". It created instant relatability, which is incredibly important in getting the audience to invest in the movie emotionally.

Or in other words; Wonder Woman might not have been great in any one area, but it got many important things right enough.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #3602
Harry Lime
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If DC really wanted to continue in the Wonder Woman vein, and take a chance on a lesser known character (which is what made Marvel such a force, monopolizing on the 'b' team), instead of making a Batgirl movie they should make a Batwoman movie. Way more latitude in storytelling.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #3603
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should use a Flash movie to retcon everything back to when Wonder Woman first showed up and set all the heroes in the 30s. I think that would be kind of cool.

The Slack Line Podcast. (QOTD, Flames Fried-days, Weekly Full-length episodes with J-Wow and The Boss and special guests.)

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...298772964?mt=2
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX3...Js51vQ5c5EfZBw
Coach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #3604
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
If DC really wanted to continue in the Wonder Woman vein, and take a chance on a lesser known character (which is what made Marvel such a force, monopolizing on the 'b' team), instead of making a Batgirl movie they should make a Batwoman movie. Way more latitude in storytelling.
I'm not sure that DC is ready to be making movies about LGBT superheros yet.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:21 PM   #3605
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
I just got out of Annihilation, absolutely loved it. Highly recommend for sci fi fans
I liked it as well. Definitely one of the more interesting and unique sci-fi films I've seen in recent years. It's a bit of a mind f***, but it's great.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:45 AM   #3606
White Out 403
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Me watching 3 billboards
Old 02-26-2018, 05:57 AM   #3607
manwiches
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Took my 3 year old to 2 movies recently.

Peter Rabbit - Surprisingly, an entertaining movie. The odd grown up joke/light adult theme, which made it entertaining. My kid thought it was hilarious, but it wasn't memorable to him as the next movie.

Jumanji - I went in with tempered expectations. I heard good things, but went in with no expectations. I laughed quite a bit throughout, and even my wife laughed quite a bit too, considering she didn't really want to see it. My son was in awe and loved the whole movie. His lol'ing throughout the movie made me laugh even harder, and some of the 'scary' scenes (i.e. Giant hippos, snake etc) made him scream with glee, and then laugh his head off. A nice subtle tribute to Robin Williams character too.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #3608
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I liked it as well. Definitely one of the more interesting and unique sci-fi films I've seen in recent years. It's a bit of a mind f***, but it's great.
My wife and I saw Annihilation as well. Pretty good movie but it's not as great as Garland's previous feature, Ex-Machina. Seems to me to be a blend of two Tarkovsky films -- an expedition by a group of people into an alien or supernatural, government-restricted zone to look for answers a la Stalker, and isolated scientists going looney with the appearance of doppelgangers a la Solaris. Garland's attempt to create awe in his world of DNA manipulation/corruption through special effects and the musical score also reminded me of Aronosky's The Fountain and Jeff Nichols' Midnight Special. My wife and I were never bored and there were some truly great scenes (e.g., the ones with that terrifying bear) but in the end, we did not know what to make of it all.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #3609
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honest trailer for this year's Oscars. I love these.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #3610
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Recep Ivedik 1

10/10

Could be the best movie ever
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #3611
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Finally watched Three Billboards and thought it was very good. A proper dark comedy, and up there with the Lobster as a good recent example of the genre.

What struck me watching it though is that - had I not recently read Hillbilly Elegy in which characters just like those portrayed in Three Billboards are described by the author who grew up with them - I would have thought the characters and their ethics were ridiculous and far-fetched. There's obviously a ton of truth in there though, particularly when it comes to the eye-for-an-eye vengeful honour culture of the Appalachian hillbilly (something that's been documented in multiple behavioural studies too).

So, yeah, watch this one if you haven't.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #3612
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Got back from seeing Annihilation. Eeh, stay home and watch STALKER instead. You'll get essentially the same movie executed much, much better and you won't have to deal with the weather for the privilege.

There's some good body horror concepts in it but overall fairly underwhelming, which is a shame considering how much I liked Ex Machina.
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:11 AM   #3613
fleury
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really like Three Billboards. Good acting, solid character development, good story and likeable characters. No comparison between this and The Shape of Water. Three Billboards is so much better as a well told movie that you can relate to. The Shape of Water was conceptual art.
fleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:01 PM   #3614
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Here's my list to date. There are a few films I have yet to see that I probably should (Coco and Ladybird to name a couple, The Post coming up), but this is what I have so far:

1) Blade Runner 2049

2) 3 Billboards Outside Ebbings Missouri

3) Get Out

4) Dunkirk

5) The Disaster Artist

6) Thor Ragnarok

7) The Lost City of Z

8) The Big Sick

9) Wind River

10) Logan

Honorable mention to: Baby Driver, Beauty and the Beast, The Last Jedi, Guardians 2, and Wonder Woman.

My top 3 are firmly planted. The rest I could debate and move around a little.
Oscars are tonight. I stand by my list. I think it's a travesty that Blade Runner 2049 wasn't nominated for best director or best picture. It's definitely better than at least 2 or 3 of the films that made the best picture nominees. I can't fathom why it didn't garner more praise.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #3615
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably because the story was kinda mediocre
nik- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:11 PM   #3616
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I caught up with The Square this weekend. It was the Palme D'Or winner at Cannes last spring and it was directed by Ruben Ostlund, who is mostly known for directing Force Majeure a few years ago, which was a terrific film. Whereas Force Majeure was a fairly straightforward drama about a family conflict, The Square was more discursive, with a series of absurdist set-pieces connected loosely by a narrative about the trials of the chief curator at a modern art museum in Stockholm. There is also a humanistic message running through the film about the social disconnection people feel from one another in an increasingly connected world. The use of individual vignettes and the absurdist humour reminded me of Roy Andersson's films, but without the agonizingly long takes. I'm only familar with Ostlund through The Square and Force Majeure so I have no idea if the digressive nature of The Square represents a new path for Ostlund. I thought it was very entertaining. Definitely recommended for fans of absurdist deadpan humour like Roy Andersson, Aki Kaurismaki and Wes Anderson. There were also a couple of great and unforgettable scenes in the movie -- one involving a very aggressive and persistent performance artist and one involving a condom. The latter scene can actually be found on Youtube, which I've spoilered below the trailer.

Spoiler!

Last edited by snootchiebootchies; 04-12-2018 at 02:46 AM.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2018, 05:14 PM   #3617
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Oscars are tonight. I stand by my list. I think it's a travesty that Blade Runner 2049 wasn't nominated for best director or best picture. It's definitely better than at least 2 or 3 of the films that made the best picture nominees. I can't fathom why it didn't garner more praise.
I just rewatched it the other day and itís still stunning. Travesty that Villeneuve hasnít gotten more recognition for what he did with that film.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #3618
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Probably because the story was kinda mediocre
Well I thought the story in 2049 was much better than the story in the original Blade Runner. Maybe that makes it mediocre, but it was still enthralling with much better exploration of the themes presented in the first film.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #3619
Magnum PEI
First Line Centre

Exp:

Villeneuve relies on CG color grading way too much IMO.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #3620
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I quite liked Murder on the Orient Express. I can see how some people may have been disappointed if they were expecting a pure whodoneit with a big twist at the end. It had some heart and the mystery was fulfilling, even if it wasn't shocking.

Good performances all around. Almost needed to be longer. I think more screentime for the characters would have been a bit better but I get why they wanted to keep it tight and not drag on.

Also watched the House with Amy Poehler and Will Ferrell. It was exactly what you'd expect. Funny at times but also quite dumb.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: