Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #201
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sucks, because that above Rossetti concept posted by Hack&Lube was always just that - conceptual - and only existed for master planning purposes; it was never actually the official design. The actual design of the building was (literally) years off (and where we are today). Funny enough, the early Rossetti conceptual rendering looks better so far than the current iteration released publicly.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:42 AM   #202
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are really only two things I want.

Please have a crapload of bathrooms. No more missing half a period to take a whizz.

And please have a unique name. Obviously sponsorship is going to be a huge factor, but please, don't be just "Scotiabank Place" or "Arena" or" Centre." Scotiabank Corral, or Dome, or something unique.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 08:45 AM   #203
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
There are really only two things I want.

Please have a crapload of bathrooms. No more missing half a period to take a whizz.

And please have a unique name. Obviously sponsorship is going to be a huge factor, but please, don't be just "Scotiabank Place" or "Arena" or" Centre." Scotiabank Corral, or Dome, or something unique.
I hate to say it, but aside from a major push from a party, isn't the name expected to be "Event Centre"?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:47 AM   #204
Flame19,289
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

The Boston Pizza Oven?
Flame19,289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:47 AM   #205
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I hate to say it, but aside from a major push from a party, isn't the name expected to be "Event Centre"?
I was just about to reply with something similar. I assume it will be Scotiabank Event Centre or Scotiabank Centre.

For me me, as long as it has great sightlines everywhere, an over abundance of bathrooms and great flow through and around the building then I could care less what the name is.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:50 AM   #206
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere "Scotiabank Centre" and "Place" were the most likely choices.

"Scotiabank Event Centre" would be slightly less terrible I suppose
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:00 AM   #207
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere "Scotiabank Centre" and "Place" were the most likely choices.

"Scotiabank Event Centre" would be slightly less terrible I suppose
"Scotiabank Place Event Centre."

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:02 AM   #208
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Here's 2 earlier renders / angles:

Not sure what changed, if anything.
That kind of reminds me of those gaudy American mega churches built in the 80's/90's.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:18 AM   #209
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun link for comparison: In case people haven't seen it, below are images of a more developed CalgaryNEXT / West Village arena and stadium concept from several years ago.

https://gecarchitecture.com/projects/calgarynext/
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 09:25 AM   #210
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Fun link for comparison: In case people haven't seen it, below are images of a more developed CalgaryNEXT / West Village arena and stadium concept from several years ago.

https://gecarchitecture.com/projects/calgarynext/

That would have been so amazing…. Sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scary Eloranta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scary Eloranta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 09:28 AM   #211
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

new design is terrisad. Who did CSEC pick as project manager exactly after booting the well regarded CMLC? One of their kids?

If they submitted this as part of their funding request I'd have voted for them to move the team, just hideous
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 09:36 AM   #212
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
new design is terrisad. Who did CSEC pick as project manager exactly after booting the well regarded CMLC? One of their kids?

If they submitted this as part of their funding request I'd have voted for them to move the team, just hideous
Sorry man, but this is dumb comment. These designs and renders don't happen over night. This is a design and render that was done while CMLC was involved, so you can stop trying to make it sound like CSEC is the bad guy here.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 09:58 AM   #213
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Sorry man, but this is dumb comment. These designs and renders don't happen over night. This is a design and render that was done while CMLC was involved, so you can stop trying to make it sound like CSEC is the bad guy here.
Saying this has had more time invested in it than less doesn’t make it better. With the amount of time this has had it should be more than a box with a rounded corner, some doors, rectangle of glazing, and some odd unrelated perforated triangles in some rectangles. There’s no inherent architecture here.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 10:00 AM   #214
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Saying this has had more time invested in it than less doesn’t make it better. With the amount of time this has had it should be more than a box with a rounded corner, some doors, rectangle of glazing, and some odd unrelated perforated triangles in some rectangles. There’s no inherent architecture here.
I don't think his point was that it's taken a while, but that blaming CSEC and not CMLC didn't make any sense.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:02 AM   #215
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don't think his point was that it's taken a while, but that blaming CSEC and not CMLC didn't make any sense.
We know CSEC has been trying to push out CMLC for quite some time so we don’t know how much, if any, input into the design of building proper CMLC even had.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:06 AM   #216
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
We know CSEC has been trying to push out CMLC for quite some time so we don’t know how much, if any, input into the design of building proper CMLC even had.
To play devils advocate, maybe this is why the CSEC wanted to push out the CMLC because they wanted more in the design.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #217
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Here's 2 earlier renders / angles:

Not sure what changed, if anything.
You know, looking at this again, it appears a lot has changed already.

The "lip" going around the entire (west?) side is no longer doing so, with the entrance being open. They also have what looks to be parking where the entrance is in the latest render.

In this version, the roof is also flat, but in the latest render, you can clearly see that the roof slopes down behind the (cladding?) and finishes at a much lower point on the south side.

I may have my directions off, but regardless, I wouldn't judge this at all by the above early renders as it already looks significantly different.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:33 AM   #218
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's just a place holder. It will definitely have a sponsored name (that's factored into the budget) and the name will ultimately be decided by that sponsor.

As we've seen in other cities, the sponsors change every few years and the arena name will change with whatever the whims of the sponsor are. If the sponsor has its name on buildings in multiple cities across the country, they'll likely want it to be something unique, so people don't get confused.

Look at the Rogers sponsored buildings: There's Rogers Arena in Vancouver, Rogers Place in Edmonton, and Rogers Centre in Toronto.

Sometimes, the sponsor wants a name that promotes a product they sell. San Jose used to be the HP Pavilion because a pavilion is not only a name used for a large public gathering space, but it's also the brand name of one of HP's products. So, that name worked perfectly for that sponsorship.

If the new arena is sponsored by Scotiabank, it's hard to guess what it might be called. There's already the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto and Scotiabank Centre in Halifax, plus Ottawa used to be Scotiabank Place. If they want it to be unique, that probably means those three are out.

I'd say it's a safe bet it won't be something unique like the Corral or Saddledome because it's too easy for people to just drop the sponsor's name when talking about it. No one, who isn't being paid to do so, ever refers to the Saddledome with the sponsor's name. On the other hand, when the name is just Sponsor Name Centre/Arena/Place, people have to say the sponsor's name when talking about the arena.

Going into the 2021-22 season, in the NHL, there are 14 buildings named "Centre/Center", 14 named "Arena", 2 named "Garden", 1 "Place", and 1 "Saddledome".

It's interesting that with the Islanders moving into their new arena this season, there are no longer any buildings named "Coliseum" in the NHL. There are also no Forums. The NBA has 2 Forums and 2 Fieldhouses to go along with the usual assortment of Arenas and Centers.

If Scotiabank does end up being the sponsor, I could see it being the Scotiabank Forum or Scotiabank Coliseum to avoid reusing one of their existing/previous names.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:40 AM   #219
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly don't really care what it looks like, render looks fine to me.

I want easy access from everywhere, lots of restauraunts, bathrooms, ect nearby. If the roof isn't as fancy but allows more space that's great to me.
DJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:51 AM   #220
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You know, looking at this again, it appears a lot has changed already.

The "lip" going around the entire (west?) side is no longer doing so, with the entrance being open. They also have what looks to be parking where the entrance is in the latest render.

In this version, the roof is also flat, but in the latest render, you can clearly see that the roof slopes down behind the (cladding?) and finishes at a much lower point on the south side.

I may have my directions off, but regardless, I wouldn't judge this at all by the above early renders as it already looks significantly different.
I need to see the renderings together:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Quote:

I see what you mean about the open entrance and the different roof-line, but I don't get your point about parking.

Also, to my eye, the giant black wall has also disappeared in the new rendering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-29-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote