Exp:

So, so happy.

Yeah Baby!!
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:25 PM   #22
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Can't wait - one less thing to hear about from Oilers fans - they're running thin on material now
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mayo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 05:27 PM   #23
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

JurassicTunga12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JurassicTunga12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 05:31 PM   #24
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

About damn time. So incredibly happy.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:34 PM   #25
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very happy this finally got done.

So construction in 2021 and probably opening in 2027?
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:36 PM   #26
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

This is great.

To those who oppose the deal - let's be honest, are any of you really going to notice anything significantly detrimental in your day-to-day lives because this arena deal went through? Probably not.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 05:37 PM   #27
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally thd city stops dragging their feet in the sand the deal is done, now get breaking ground soon thousands of jobs are depending on the start date.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:42 PM   #28
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status...49089895706625
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAreOne For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 05:43 PM   #29
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are the next steps? Finalize a million legal agreements and then CMLC and CSEC get to business?
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:43 PM   #30
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I didn't watch the feed or anything but I follow city politics and this particular deal closely. I understand the appearance of Farkas and how him and some others appear to be grandstanding, it's their "thing".

I am mostly supportive of this deal and I am in favor of doing it and think it's a decent deal for the city, I also know it's a sweetheart deal for the Flames. The Edmonton deal was literally highway robbery and a theft of taxpayers dollars, flat out.

What I don't like is this "illusion" that all this consultation occurred in the public forum and everything is on the up. Sure a lot of citizens knew that the Flames and the City/Stampede board were working on a deal behind close doors but the exact details were not made public until a week ago. Certain aspects of the deal and the optics aren't good and wouldn't be allowed if it wasn't for our beloved hockey club..

The real estate play is interesting, sure the Flames may pay fair market value for it in the future but what if a developer was willing to pay a premium for it? Isn't that like sole sourcing a contract? Why is it that they get first right of refusal for the purchase of city owned land? The answer is because they are contributing to a building that isn't their own? Would an energy company located in the downtown core be given the first right of refusal to purchase valuable land next to a tower where they are renting a couple of floors?

The naming rights, how did we come to the $250k a year for 10 years figure? What happens after 10 years? What if the naming rights come in a lot higher than expected when this thing opens in 4-5 years? Why isn't it a percentage? This is a city/ citizens owned building like we kept being told but it sounds like the citizens who are paying a huge portion of it have very little say.

Speaking of say, how many of the recommendations, suggestions or concerns put forth by the people are going to be addressed?

I get it that a lot of people want to see this project move on and are happy with it and consider a few days of chatter enough, I don't. I don't think a vote in September with some additional questions and answers would be the end of the world, it's not affecting the construction schedule at all.

As a crazy example, if I had proposed building a roadway parallel to Deerfoot Trail, complete with all the modern amenities, rest area's, fuel stations, coffee shops, washroom facilities and shopping along the way. I requested the city pay for MORE than 50% meanwhile I made it a toll highway, sold naming rights as Canadian Natural Resources Highway, give a little decent chunk back to the city, maintained it for 35 years and than forced the city to demolish Deerfoot Trail as it's my competitor. Plus I got all the cherries on top with regards to other valuable property etc.

I don't think anybody would think that a handful of days of discussion would be enough.

Anyhow I am glad it's over, I am looking forward to it and I will enjoy it. Hopefully this really does end being the cat's A** like we are all being sold it will be and that everybody benefits from this in a huge way both as a city, the citizens who will frequent the area and those who attend events.

Sorry about the long post!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #31
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
Can't wait - one less thing to hear about from Oilers fans - they're running thin on material now
Yeah they've lost "moving to Houston" and the "Saddledome sucks" in one swoop
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #32
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good cap hit for the city and the Flames. I like it!
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:51 PM   #33
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Huge two points for the city.
OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:53 PM   #34
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I didn't watch the feed or anything but I follow city politics and this particular deal closely. I understand the appearance of Farkas and how him and some others appear to be grandstanding, it's their "thing".

I am mostly supportive of this deal and I am in favor of doing it and think it's a decent deal for the city, I also know it's a sweetheart deal for the Flames. The Edmonton deal was literally highway robbery and a theft of taxpayers dollars, flat out.

What I don't like is this "illusion" that all this consultation occurred in the public forum and everything is on the up. Sure a lot of citizens knew that the Flames and the City/Stampede board were working on a deal behind close doors but the exact details were not made public until a week ago. Certain aspects of the deal and the optics aren't good and wouldn't be allowed if it wasn't for our beloved hockey club..

The real estate play is interesting, sure the Flames may pay fair market value for it in the future but what if a developer was willing to pay a premium for it? Isn't that like sole sourcing a contract? Why is it that they get first right of refusal for the purchase of city owned land? The answer is because they are contributing to a building that isn't their own? Would an energy company located in the downtown core be given the first right of refusal to purchase valuable land next to a tower where they are renting a couple of floors?

The naming rights, how did we come to the $250k a year for 10 years figure? What happens after 10 years? What if the naming rights come in a lot higher than expected when this thing opens in 4-5 years? Why isn't it a percentage? This is a city/ citizens owned building like we kept being told but it sounds like the citizens who are paying a huge portion of it have very little say.

Speaking of say, how many of the recommendations, suggestions or concerns put forth by the people are going to be addressed?

I get it that a lot of people want to see this project move on and are happy with it and consider a few days of chatter enough, I don't. I don't think a vote in September with some additional questions and answers would be the end of the world, it's not affecting the construction schedule at all.

As a crazy example, if I had proposed building a roadway parallel to Deerfoot Trail, complete with all the modern amenities, rest area's, fuel stations, coffee shops, washroom facilities and shopping along the way. I requested the city pay for MORE than 50% meanwhile I made it a toll highway, sold naming rights as Canadian Natural Resources Highway, give a little decent chunk back to the city, maintained it for 35 years and than forced the city to demolish Deerfoot Trail as it's my competitor. Plus I got all the cherries on top with regards to other valuable property etc.

I don't think anybody would think that a handful of days of discussion would be enough.

Anyhow I am glad it's over, I am looking forward to it and I will enjoy it. Hopefully this really does end being the cat's A** like we are all being sold it will be and that everybody benefits from this in a huge way both as a city, the citizens who will frequent the area and those who attend events.

Sorry about the long post!
the land option was one thing that stood out for me all along as not being ideal...

however, having the option to purchase the land within the 10 post completion window (and 5 years pre completion i believe), for property that the Flames helped to revitalize in the first place hardly seems 'beyond the pale' as stated by Wooley... without this redevelopment, that land would probably stay undeveloped like it has for the last 40 years...

not sure if the deerfoot comparison is really a fair one; the saddledome is, by all accounts reaching the end of its life cycle, and during the debate, i believe the number thrown out as the cost of a major renovation was around 170-200 million anyways...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:59 PM   #35
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
What are the next steps? Finalize a million legal agreements and then CMLC and CSEC get to business?
I would this this is the rough plan for the next 12-18 months:

Finalize legal agreements.

Hire architect and consultants.

Design building and land layout, etc.

Hire construction manager.

Confirm building costs, and adjust design if necessary to come in on budget.

Sign GMP contract.

Start Construction.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:01 PM   #36
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

About time. The reincarnation of CalgaryNEXT on Stampede Grounds will finally be officially announced!

KIDDING.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:03 PM   #37
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Yeah they've lost "moving to Houston" and the "Saddledome sucks" in one swoop
but they'll always get to hold onto "Well, we paid more for our arena!"

Game. Set. No Good.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #38
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSeven View Post
Watching Farky get roasted was worth the watch alone
I believe the Event Centre will now be called the Gondek Murder-Dome.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #39
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we please get more than one stanley cup in the new building?!?!?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:09 PM   #40
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Start saving up now for the $20 beers! haha