Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Adam Ruzicka 4 1.83%
Alexander Yelesin 11 5.05%
Andrew Nielsen 0 0%
Artyom Zagidulin 8 3.67%
Carl-Johan Lerby 0 0%
Demetrios Koumontzis 14 6.42%
Dmitry Zavgorodniy 42 19.27%
Dustin Wolf 3 1.38%
Eetu Tuulola 7 3.21%
Filip Sveningsson 16 7.34%
Glenn Gawdin 7 3.21%
Jeremy McKenna 2 0.92%
Jon Gillies 20 9.17%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Linus Lindstrom 1 0.46%
Lucas Feuk 0 0%
Luke Philp 0 0%
Martin Pospisil 77 35.32%
Milos Roman 0 0%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Nick Schneider 0 0%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Rinat Valiev 1 0.46%
Ryan Lomberg 5 2.29%
Spencer Foo 0 0%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2019, 11:47 AM   #21
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
Why is gillies getting any love? His stats were brutal in the AHL last year
I don't have him this high but goalies are weird and you can really never write them off. See Binnington, Jordan.

In 17-18 Rittich had a .889 save percentage in his 12 games in the AHL, and a .904 in his NHL starts.

Then he came in and was great for us last year.

In 18-19 Gillies had a .889 save percentage in the AHL...remains to be seen if he can bounce back for us like Rittich did.

In the three seasons in the AHL prior to last year Gillies had a .914 save percentage so the potential is still there. My biggest concern with Gillies has been that he's looked nervous, and jittery in his NHL starts - and so much of being a goalie is mental.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #22
WilliPlett
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I don't see Buddy Robinson's name. Or is he no longer with the organization or not considered a prospect?
WilliPlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #23
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliPlett View Post
I don't see Buddy Robinson's name. Or is he no longer with the organization or not considered a prospect?
Buddy Robinson will be 28 at the start of the season. He has one year left on his deal but personally I don't think he's a prospect.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #24
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't vote Gillies, but he is absolutely still a good goalie prospect. I was never too high on him even when Weisbrod called him Calgary's best prospect back in the day, but I do think he will become an NHL'er. He just has to stay healthy. He was still a bit raw when he got called up to the NHL, but he looked like a promising goalie then.

It will be interesting to see where all the goalies land this year, especially him.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:15 PM   #25
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think all our goalie prospects are better than they've shown behind a not so good d-corps. It's no coincidence they all started playing better with Dube and Valimaki down their.

That said I haven't voted for any goalie yet, and won't for a few more rounds, but I still believe in Gillies. Even though realistically I'm not sure I even see him in the organization this fall, I think he could easily land a backup spot in a year or two. Think he gets a Kulak type trade to try and give him a chance elsewhere though
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #26
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Bored so I’m going to mention my confusion on your reference to a goalie who didn’t sniff the NHL until a decade after he was drafted, and was never developed by his draft team.
Picked out a random goalie who made the NHL later than most and went on to have a successful career.

It's not like I was overwhelmed with options. I guess maybe of the guys playing today the only kind of comparable to that trajectory would be... Thomas Greiss? kinda?

Basically, I'm saying his name isn't Thomas Gillies so he's screwed.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #27
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I think Yelesin is being overlooked here because no one has seen him. He has been playing against men in the KHL. Has a hard shot and completely destroyed Yakupov. Could slide into the lineup as soon as next season.
I have voted for him the last 4 rounds because he sure seems to be the likeliest to be an NHLer.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #28
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
For every Tim Thomas, there are 100 Leland Irvings.

"Not completely out of place, but underwhelming" just doesn't generally spell a 25-year-old goalie on the brink of success.

I'd be ecstatic to be wrong, though. I just understand why Gillies is getting no love.
I don't have high expectations for anyone left on the list, not at this point anyways. That includes Gillies. Of the available options, and with the information available I would say Gillies has the highest likelihood of having the most successful NHL career... even if that means he bounces around the league as a backup for a few years and then moves to the KHL.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 02:00 PM   #29
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies never "looked" amazing even when he was a higher-ranked Flames prospect, IMO. At this point ehat he has done is no more impressive than Zagidulin/Schneider/Wolf. Heck Schneider was probably our best goalie in the AHL last year in the time he was called up, so if any goalie should be getting a vote it is him.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #30
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Picked out a random goalie who made the NHL later than most and went on to have a successful career.

It's not like I was overwhelmed with options. I guess maybe of the guys playing today the only kind of comparable to that trajectory would be... Thomas Greiss? kinda?

Basically, I'm saying his name isn't Thomas Gillies so he's screwed.
Binnington man!
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:57 PM   #31
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a pack of players pretty much all even. Essentially picking whoever I see first.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:26 PM   #32
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Binnington man!
Yeah I've mentioned Binnington before, the only problem being he's only 6 months older than Gillies and impressed in his first real shot at the NHL after being one of the best goalies in the AHL for a couple of years.

Even Binnington was a longshot. There were plenty of people talking about him being potentially having to go back to the ECHL or traded to fill another AHL spot as recently as last season. Most people were pegging his ceiling as NHL backup. Binnington proved them wrong.

Just to get to the position Binnington was at to be able to prove them wrong, though, Gillies has a lot of work to do. Like Binnington, he's more in danger of being replaced at the AHL level as it stands right now.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 12:44 AM   #33
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Martin Pospisil
Passable two-way utility player but a loose cannon. Big on-ice discipline issues but deserves a pile of credit for reigning that in relative to last year (still wild compared to peers). Despite that, his per-TOI production is very very impressive, even if his individual ability to generate shots is average. Excellent on the powerplay. If he can improve his skating, and pick his spots of aggression a bit better - which should come with maturity - he could be a coveted player with a mean streak who can also contribute offensively. I see him playing wing full-time as a pro.

Ceiling: 2nd line W/pest
Probable: 3/4 line W
Floor: Loose cannon bust

Also in consideration
Adam Ruzicka
He's big, he has decent hands and offensively ability, he is decent in his own end...but his attitude and commitment are concerns. He isn't always engaged and is easily rattled and knocked off his game, and when that happens he looks like a beer league player during a 10:45 PM weekday game going through the motions to get home ASAP. But when he is on he can drive a line and contribute at both ends of the ice. 32 even-strength goals in 65 games is impressive as is generating over 3.5 shots per game, while also having decent vision. Excellent in the dot, too. If he can get the mental side figured out he has a good shot at making it. If not, he'll be saying "what if" when he looks back on things later in life.

Ceiling: 2nd line C
Probable: 4A C
Floor: Outright bust

Jeremy McKenna
One dimensional goal scorer but scoring goals is the most difficult skill in hockey. Excellent at getting open and finding gaps in coverage which allows him to get his hard and accurate shot off. Also terrific on the powerplay. But, his defensive shortcomings significantly reduce his probability of success. Hockey is full of junior snipers who didn't pan out, but there are a few who have turned into mighty good scorers. Over 5 shots per game is insane.

Ceiling: 2nd line W
Probable: Tweener
Floor: Outright bust

Dmitry Zavgorodniy
Started the year on fire giving unrealistic hope and ended the year the opposite giving unrealistic doubt. In the end, over the course of a better season-long sample, what we saw is likely an accurate representation with a couple notes. While his counting stats may leave a bit to be desired, there are two reasons for optimism. First, he's settled in as a left-winger but the unfortunate result of that is being permanently assigned to the 2/3-LW due to trending future superstar Alexis Lafreniere obviously holding down 1-LW. Second, he's a very late birth being just a month away from the 2019 draft. Unfortunately barring a trade he will be back on the 2nd line, with the lower quality teammates and less icetime that comes with it, for another season.

Ceiling: 2B/3A W
Probable: Tweener then KHL
Floor: Bust straight to KHL

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 01:06 AM   #34
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Martin Pospisil is an interesting prospect even though I did not vote for him this round. As mentioned by others, he's a bit of a loose cannon. So, a project of sorts.

Reign in his wilder instincts and round out other aspects of his game and the Flames could have themselves a player that other teams hate to compete against.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:31 AM   #35
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t know who to pick anymore. I can see picking Zavgorodniy, Pospisil, Yelesin, Zagidulin, Sveningsson, Lerby and Koumintzis.

Last edited by Nelson; 07-17-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote