Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Adam Ruzicka 0 0%
Alexander Yelesin 4 1.67%
Andrew Nielsen 0 0%
Artyom Zagidulin 1 0.42%
Carl-Johan Lerby 1 0.42%
Demetrios Koumontzis 6 2.50%
Dmitry Zavgorodniy 3 1.25%
Dustin Wolf 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 3 1.25%
Filip Sveningsson 0 0%
Glenn Gawdin 0 0%
Illya Nikolaev 12 5.00%
Jeremy McKenna 0 0%
Jon Gillies 5 2.08%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Linus Lindstrom 0 0%
Lucas Feuk 0 0%
Luke Philp 2 0.83%
Martin Pospisil 11 4.58%
Matthew Phillips 83 34.58%
Milos Roman 0 0%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Nick Schneider 0 0%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Rinat Valiev 0 0%
Ryan Lomberg 1 0.42%
Spencer Foo 0 0%
Tyler Parsons 108 45.00%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #41
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised Parsons is still on the board.

He has the most NHL caliber pedigree of any prospect still on the list.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #42
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Surprised Parsons is still on the board.

He has the most NHL caliber pedigree of any prospect still on the list.
We obviously see goaltending prospects in a completely different way, but I’m trying to understand your perspective. When you say ‘most NHL caliber pedigree’, what are you referring to?
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:38 PM   #43
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
We obviously see goaltending prospects in a completely different way, but I’m trying to understand your perspective. When you say ‘most NHL caliber pedigree’, what are you referring to?
I was just making a post in jest to say the opposite of the one before it. I think the Parsons discussion has been beaten to death. There is a camp that thinks he has high-end potential and focuses on that, and a camp that is disappointed with this progress to date, and focuses more on that.

And the void between the two groups will likely persist. Until he makes the NHL and proves the nay-sayers wrong, anyway
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 08:50 PM   #44
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was just making a post in jest to say the opposite of the one before it. I think the Parsons discussion has been beaten to death. There is a camp that thinks he has high-end potential and focuses on that, and a camp that is disappointed with this progress to date, and focuses more on that.

And the void between the two groups will likely persist. Until he makes the NHL and proves the nay-sayers wrong, anyway
What you said is not really the opposite of what I said.

Saying he's completely whiffed as a pro is stating a fact. Look at his numbers. He's hardly played and been below average when he has.

You saying he has the most NHL caliber pedigree of the remaining prospects is opinion, not fact.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 10:32 PM   #45
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I still think Parsons will pay off long term for the Flames.

Jordan Binnington is the exact reason why you have to be patient with goalies.

Drafted #88 overall in 2011. Played in the ECHL, then had to be loaned to Boston's AHL team to find a place to play. Wins the Cup the same season, and arguably could have won the Calder and Conn Smythe.

Parsons was a star in the World Jrs and Memorial Cup, so there's plenty of reasons to continue to let him develop and think he could be a future NHL star.
Binnington was pretty solid in the ECHL and AHL every year he played though. Parsons has struggled at the pro-level.

I agree with being patient and am not writing him off at 21, but I will take prospects that have excelled since they were drafted over ones that struggled.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:46 AM   #46
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Binnington posted a .922 in the ECHL and then a .916 in the AHL in his first two pro seasons. He played at least 40 games both seasons. Posted identical 2.35 GAA.

Parsons posted .902 and .898 in the ECHL and AHL respectively. He played 20 and 28 games, and posted 3.17.and 3.70 GAAs.

"Look at Binnington" is the kind of comparison I'd make to show what a future NHLer looks like, and why Parsons isnt one.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #47
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Parsons is going into his third pro season and isn’t even a lock for the AHL backup

He’s trending towards Mason Macdonald territory and I don’t think “goalies are weird though” is enough of a logical reason to discount his last two seasons.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #48
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
Binnington posted a .922 in the ECHL and then a .916 in the AHL in his first two pro seasons. He played at least 40 games both seasons. Posted identical 2.35 GAA.

Parsons posted .902 and .898 in the ECHL and AHL respectively. He played 20 and 28 games, and posted 3.17.and 3.70 GAAs.

"Look at Binnington" is the kind of comparison I'd make to show what a future NHLer looks like, and why Parsons isnt one.
I think your over looking both Parsons injuries and personal issues he has had to overcome over the past few seasons but he has shown raw talent and potential more than occasionally at the pro level and he is still so young. He had a great interview during the prospect camp and he looks like a new man mentally ready to take on a starters role at the pro level now. Goalie prospects are weird and Binnington is almost the perfect example to use when projecting Parsons on either side of the debate; you can’t make an absolute one way or the other IMO with Parsons; he’s still a very, very good prospect.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #49
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Parsons is going into his third pro season and isn’t even a lock for the AHL backup

He’s trending towards Mason Macdonald territory and I don’t think “goalies are weird though” is enough of a logical reason to discount his last two seasons.
Again; I don’t know if you guys are aware of or have forgotten just how bad of a place Parsons was in mentally prior to the start of last years season which speaks to his first bad year. Add to that the injury woes he experienced this past season and it also speaks to why he wasn’t able to be consistent yet again though he was coming away from the tough place he was a season before. Once he put together some solid numbers on a small sample size. I’m more than willing to give him another season here, this one with seemingly no obstacles heading into it, as the starter with Stockton and see what we actually have in Parsons. If he has subpar numbers or more injury concerns then I’ll agree it’s looking grim for him at least with this organization but I want to see a full season first before making such absolute judgements.

Edit: Article on his mental health from September 2018

https://theathletic.com/537582/2018/...ally-spoke-up/
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #50
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
What you said is not really the opposite of what I said.

Saying he's completely whiffed as a pro is stating a fact. Look at his numbers. He's hardly played and been below average when he has.

You saying he has the most NHL caliber pedigree of the remaining prospects is opinion, not fact.
No, saying he has completely whiffed as a pro is also opinion.

Also, my post was in jest. People take some of this #### way too seriously.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #51
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Again; I don’t know if you guys are aware of or have forgotten just how bad of a place Parsons was in mentally prior to the start of last years season which speaks to his first bad year. Add to that the injury woes he experienced this past season and it also speaks to why he wasn’t able to be consistent yet again though he was coming away from the tough place he was a season before. Once he put together some solid numbers on a small sample size. I’m more than willing to give him another season here, this one with seemingly no obstacles heading into it, as the starter with Stockton and see what we actually have in Parsons. If he has subpar numbers or more injury concerns then I’ll agree it’s looking grim for him at least with this organization but I want to see a full season first before making such absolute judgements.

Edit: Article on his mental health from September 2018

https://theathletic.com/537582/2018/...ally-spoke-up/
Definitely a reason to root for him, and I think everyone is. But it's not something erases his lack of progress, whatever the reasons.

I think people are voting with their heart for Parsons.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #52
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Definitely a reason to root for him, and I think everyone is. But it's not something erases his lack of progress, whatever the reasons.

I think people are voting with their heart for Parsons.
I think that is really presumptuous. People vote on these polls for all sorts of different and equally valid reasons. This seems to me more like you are projecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #53
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, saying he has completely whiffed as a pro is also opinion.

Also, my post was in jest. People take some of this #### way too seriously.
Haha. Not taking anything too seriously.

How is that merely an opinion though? There is ample evidence to back it up.

Not saying he can't turn it around, but certainly looks a lot less likely at this point than before he turned pro.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #54
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saying he completely whiffed is an opinion. Saying his GAA was high, or he struggled mentally, or whatever specific thing you want to point out, is stating a fact. Saying he completely whiffed is a summary opinion.

My opinion is that he has struggled with a couple injuries, and with some personal issues, but that there is a ton of talent there.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #55
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...My opinion is that he has struggled with a couple injuries, and with some personal issues, but that there is a ton of talent there.
I would go so far as to say that the high talent is undeniable. Parsons is—if nothing else—tremendously skilled and athletic. That’s the reason I voted for him this early. He might be the most purely skilled goalie the Flames have had in their system since Trevor Kidd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #56
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post

Binnington also spent another year in the OHL, so their pro years don't line up.

Binnington played in the ECHL in his draft+3 year, Parsons played in the ECHL draft+2 (and got some AHL looks), and was full-time in the AHL draft+3.

This upcoming season can be compared to Binnington's 1st AHL year,
2014-15 where he played 45 games, and posted 2.35 GAA and 0.916 SV%

You never know what else is happening when comparing ECHL and AHL season stats as well. From the looks of it, our ECHL team was a complete mess, whereas Binnington's was a well-oiled machine. Parsons was 1 of 9 goalies that year for Kansas City, whereas Binnington was 1 of 2.

Last edited by AC; 07-14-2019 at 01:00 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 02:22 AM   #57
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Martin Pospisil
Passable two-way utility player but a loose cannon. Big on-ice discipline issues but deserves a pile of credit for reigning that in relative to last year (still wild compared to peers). Despite that, his per-TOI production is very very impressive, even if his individual ability to generate shots is average. Excellent on the powerplay. If he can improve his skating, and pick his spots of aggression a bit better - which should come with maturity - he could be a coveted player with a mean streak who can also contribute offensively. I see him playing wing full-time as a pro.

Ceiling: 2nd line W/pest
Probable: 3/4 line W
Floor: Loose cannon bust

Also in consideration
Adam Ruzicka
He's big, he has decent hands and offensively ability, he is decent in his own end...but his attitude and commitment are concerns. He isn't always engaged and is easily rattled and knocked off his game, and when that happens he looks like a beer league player during a 10:45 PM weekday game going through the motions to get home ASAP. But when he is on he can drive a line and contribute at both ends of the ice. 32 even-strength goals in 65 games is impressive as is generating over 3.5 shots per game, while also having decent vision. Excellent in the dot, too. If he can get the mental side figured out he has a good shot at making it. If not, he'll be saying "what if" when he looks back on things later in life.

Ceiling: 2nd line C
Probable: 4A C
Floor: Outright bust

Matthew Phillips
Small, shifty, and superb vision and playmaking ability. His first season in the AHL may have been slightly underwhelming to some given his outrageous WHL numbers the season prior, however he wasn't granted nearly as much powerplay time which had a big affect on the counting stats. Excited to see how he fares in his second season of pro. As with these small offensive dynamos, is he Conor Sheary or Brandon Kozun?

Ceiling: 2nd line W
Probable: Tweener
Floor: Outright bust

Tyler Parsons
Goalies are voodoo. Who the hell knows. But, he went through a hellacious period in his life as was well documented and it is undeniable that had a large impact, almost to the point of discounting that period outright. Formerly a can't-miss prospect.

Ceiling: #1 G
Probable: Tweener
Floor: Journeyman/bust

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote