Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Adam Ruzicka 0 0%
Alexander Yelesin 4 1.67%
Andrew Nielsen 0 0%
Artyom Zagidulin 1 0.42%
Carl-Johan Lerby 1 0.42%
Demetrios Koumontzis 6 2.50%
Dmitry Zavgorodniy 3 1.25%
Dustin Wolf 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 3 1.25%
Filip Sveningsson 0 0%
Glenn Gawdin 0 0%
Illya Nikolaev 12 5.00%
Jeremy McKenna 0 0%
Jon Gillies 5 2.08%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Linus Lindstrom 0 0%
Lucas Feuk 0 0%
Luke Philp 2 0.83%
Martin Pospisil 11 4.58%
Matthew Phillips 83 34.58%
Milos Roman 0 0%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Nick Schneider 0 0%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Rinat Valiev 0 0%
Ryan Lomberg 1 0.42%
Spencer Foo 0 0%
Tyler Parsons 108 45.00%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #21
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Calgarypuck Prospect Ranking 2019 - Round 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
...The new Russian goalie has a better chance of being the first callup at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
What are you basing this on? I don’t know anything about him.
I don’t think this is such an unreasonable conjectural statement, but by the same token I also don’t see why this necessarily has to be construed as a retraction in Parsons development. I also would not be remotely surprised to see Zagadulin get NHL time this year ahead of Parsons, but I also voted for Parsons at this spot. Both goalies are at different points in their developmental trajectory; that doesn’t mean that the goalie closest to playing NHL games is the better prospect if the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #22
Abatedmean
Backup Goalie

Exp:

voted for Philips, but I believe that if Parsons has a bounce-back year, he will leapfrog a couple of people. Parsons is next for me tho.
Abatedmean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #23
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phillips, then Parsons for me. I think Parsons needs to have another good year to be back in the top 5.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #24
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Parsons.

Personally I don't see Phillips making it at all.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #25
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not sure Parsons has done much to increase his stock since he was drafted in the 2nd round. He has split time between the AHL and ECHL and his stats look terrible.

I haven't seen him much, so what am I missing?
Old 07-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #26
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont think you need to write any of our goalie prospects off. Only one who wasn't in the picture really was McDonald. I also dont think a goalie should be ranked highly. Kind of middle of the road for me. Between 10-20 feels about right for all 4. Binnington was being shopped all over this past season. They were trying to give him away and look how that ended, Calder nomination, Vezina consideration and a Stanley cup. Long and short of it, can't write em off, cannot pump them up.

Another write off was Kings goalie Jack Campbell, now hes in the running for a starting role.

Last edited by dammage79; 07-13-2019 at 01:33 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #27
Journey17
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I loved watching Parsons play at world juniors and the few junior games I saw but looking at his stats last year doesn't scream potential NHL goalie.

I picked Phillips on the basis that he was successful in junior and AHL. I'm not sure he won't end up a tweener as he probably has to play top 6 to play in NHL but at this point I see NHL potential.

Considering the lack of top 60 draft picks we have a lot of interesting guys left. Lots of boom or bust likely but hopefully we hit on a few. I love our late round picks recently. Much better than picking players who top out at 4th liners.
Journey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #28
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the story that came out the other day that all of the gear that Zagidulin brought over from Russia for the development camp is "illegal" by NHL/AHL standards, I don't think it's unreasonable to think he'll spend some time in the ECHL to get used to both the North American ice and his new equipment.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #29
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
With the story that came out the other day that all of the gear that Zagidulin brought over from Russia for the development camp is "illegal" by NHL/AHL standards, I don't think it's unreasonable to think he'll spend some time in the ECHL to get used to both the North American ice and his new equipment.
I was wondering about that. Looking at pictures of the camp, Zagidulin's pads looked fresh out of the box with nary a scuff mark on 'em. Someone musta taken him to the Professional Skate Goalie Shop (or wherever) for outfitting the day before.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:27 PM   #30
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

The last round is where it got interesting, but this round is where it gets a little tough for me.

There's 3 guys here that I think are a little bit ahead of the pack:

Pospisal - ECHL/AHL bound. Likely years of development away. Intriguing skill-set but might have issues translating his offense to the NHL level. Starting the pro game young is a big plus, although it doesn't seem to be by choice. The big angry forward needs to learn to control his emotions, or risk making himself ineffective. Tantalizing package of size, emotion and skill. Top 6 upside.

Phillips - Probably still a year or 2 away but a good season could get him a late season audition with the Flames. The diminutive forward had a good rookie campaign at the AHL level last season. Incredible hands and vision. Plays RW, a position the Flames are in desperate need of. Small but competitive. Is going to need to keep his head on a swivel as the game gets faster or risk taking a big hit. Has developed nicely with a natural progression, as his game has taken steps every year and he is fairly close to pushing for NHL work after his first pro season. A strong training camp could put him on the map. Top 6 upside.

Parsons - Had a tough year, but goalies are weird. Overcoming his mental issues will make him a better player. Despite the poor season there's a lot of potential here. Likely headed to be the starter for Kansas City in the ECHL. He needs a consistent/stable year to get back his confidence and consistency. Likely years away but starting goaltender potential.

Honerable Mentions: Demetrios Koumontzis, Dmitry Zavgorodniy, Filip Sveningsson, Illya Nikolaev.

2 players raised their stock considerably last year, and the other...well...as i said, goalies are weird. Any one of these players has enough in their game to potentially become an impact player at the NHL level, which is good. There's also a lot of question marks and the NHL's a tough league. If one or more of these guys can hit their potential then that's amazing, but the odds are still stacked against any one of them making it.

I personally think it's likely that at least one of these players is a full time NHLer at some point in their career, but how impactful remains to be seen.

Ranking them today I'd probably put my list down as:

6. Parsons - Starting Goaltender is a teams most valuable position IMO and Parson's is a legit prospect in net. Goalies are always a wildcard.

7. Phillips - Skill and smarts outweigh size. Kid can play and is closer to the show than I thought he'd be right now.

8. Pospisal - This was a tough one for me because I think Pospisal has the most potential out of any of the 3 players. His package of size and skill, combined with his physical style of play and overall aggression and competitiveness could make for a really interesting hockey player if he booms. Even if he busts there's likely enough there to be a 4th line winger at the NHL level. However, while he's shown some growing up on the mental side of the game, he still got suspended 12 games for going into the crowd and hitting a fan. It's kinda insane that we can say that he's come so far in a year after doing something like that but here we are. I also have a personal bias against players who have size and dominate in juniors. I feel like the size is too easily exploitable against younger players.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Super-Rye For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #31
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To me Phillips is on a similar trajectory as Mangiapane, both are undersized skill players, both put up a ton of goals and points in junior and both had a very solid seasons as first year pros. Phillips will probably get put into a lot of offensive situations this season in Stockton, I don't think he will be as dominant in the AHL in his second season as Mangiapane, but I think he will take another big step in his development.

The biggest difference between the two is that Mangiapane is small but Phillips is tiny, I also think Mangiapane is more of dynamic skater than Phillips. They both think the game well and aren't afraid to get their noses dirty.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #32
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phillips was a great 6th round draft pick but I still see him as a bit of a longshot of becoming a regular NHLer. I think Parson's will eventually find his way into the NHL, but maybe not for several years and maybe not on the Flames.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #33
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I could see Matthew Phillips approaching or even exceeding point per game in the AHL and getting the NHL call-up.

Still too small a sample size on Tyler Parsons (only 20 games last season) to know what he's got.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #34
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went with Parsons. He’s still too young for a goalie to be written off.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:15 PM   #35
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am still.holding out hope for Parsons, but to this point he hasn't shown anything at the pro level. I realize that there may be extenuating circumstances, but till he shows more I just can't put him this high on the list.

I am also really curious to see how the net is divided in the minors this coming season. With Gillies, Zagidulin, Parsons and Schneider all requiring time. My guess is that Gillies and Zagidulin get the AHL time and Parsons and Schneider split time in Kansas City.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #36
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not writing Parsons off, but I'm also not ranking him ahead of a guy like Matthew Phillips, who has nothing but impress since being drafted.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #37
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I still think Parsons will pay off long term for the Flames.

Jordan Binnington is the exact reason why you have to be patient with goalies.

Drafted #88 overall in 2011. Played in the ECHL, then had to be loaned to Boston's AHL team to find a place to play. Wins the Cup the same season, and arguably could have won the Calder and Conn Smythe.

Parsons was a star in the World Jrs and Memorial Cup, so there's plenty of reasons to continue to let him develop and think he could be a future NHL star.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #38
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think people are too hard on Parsons progression, he leap frogged ahead by crushing at the junior level and is a really young goalie trying to sort things out at the pro level. He's 21, and it is rare for goalies that young to be knocking at the door to the NHL.. He had a pretty strong 2nd half of the season in the AHL, with save % over .92 in 5 of his 6 final games including some monster performances, so he's still showing positive progress.

Last edited by Matata; 07-13-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #39
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I'm not writing Parsons off, but I'm also not ranking him ahead of a guy like Matthew Phillips, who has nothing but impress since being drafted.
Exactly my thoughts. I still believe in Parsons, just don't have him ranked this high yet
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #40
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised Parsons is getting voted this high.

He's completely whiffed in his two years as a pro.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote