Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2024, 09:58 PM   #41
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
So, Stone has a legitimate injury but Las Vegas is cheating. Got it, I think.
It starts with a legit injury, then they put them on LTIR, then they make trades and use up all the LTIR cap space, then they keep them out until the playoffs start when they miraculously are ready to go with their $100 million payroll.

Quite the coincidence lol
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 09:59 PM   #42
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Nobody is arguing that. Do you think they will activate him before game 1 if he can play?
They'll activate him if someone else with a big cap hit gets hurt and he's ready to go, otherwise he'll be out until the playoffs *wink* *wink*
Old 03-10-2024, 10:02 PM   #43
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Recovery is 3-12 weeks, that is a pretty convient time table. He got injured Feb 20th, if he could play before the playoffs start do you think that is happening or will they leave him in LTIR until game 1?. Hertl is projected to be ready around March 25th? Does he have a setback or do they stuff someone else on LTIR? Martinez is supposed to be back within a week. Vegas has under $1M in cap space. Let's see how they do it.
I can’t speak to the alleged “convenience” of the recovery timetable.

No matter if he’s okay or not, people are going to be conspiracy theory mad. I hope they dress 17 skaters for a few games just to put an end to it. But, as with all conspiracy theories, there’s no end.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 10:04 PM   #44
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
It starts with a legit injury, then they put them on LTIR, then they make trades and use up all the LTIR cap space, then they keep them out until the playoffs start when they miraculously are ready to go with their $100 million payroll.

Quite the coincidence lol
And of course you will know how miraculous it is instead of “he’s ready”.

When they beat the Canucks or Oilers who will care? Luckily the smarter team isn’t one we care to hate.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:06 PM   #45
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
The problem I have with that solution is, let’s say you’re a team that left a 2 million dollar buffer at the start of the season, you’d be able to add a big contract or two at the deadline. Only if you changed the rules, you wouldn’t be able to, because come playoffs, it’d add up to more than the salary cap figure. It would also basically end the trade deadline deals.
Yes, and Calgary likely would have been stuck with their UFA’s.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 10:07 PM   #46
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s a lot easier to convince a player to take those extra few weeks to recover up all nice for the playoffs when you can tell them to just hit up some honeys on Miami Beach or head to the strip, versus a visit to the Museum of Human Rights. It’s pretty straightforward to be “ruthless” when the deck is so heavily stacked in your favour.

Maybe when climate change threatens to boil us all alive in the ocean and players can wear flip flops to the rink in Calgary too, we can play the same game.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 10:07 PM   #47
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Yes, and Calgary likely would have been stuck with their UFA’s.
Then adapt. As fast as the winning teams do.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:07 PM   #48
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And of course you will know how miraculous it is instead of “he’s ready”.

When they beat the Canucks or Oilers who will care? Luckily the smarter team isn’t one we care to hate.
Yeah that's why they're going to look to put an end to this BS in the next CBA, because it's completely legit haha
Old 03-10-2024, 10:08 PM   #49
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can’t speak to the alleged “convenience” of the recovery timetable.

No matter if he’s okay or not, people are going to be conspiracy theory mad. I hope they dress 17 skaters for a few games just to put an end to it. But, as with all conspiracy theories, there’s no end.
There won't be an end until they change the rule to what it always should have been.

If you want to put a guy on LTIR and load up at the trade deadline then fine. But come playoff time you're going to have to figure out who sits and is replaced by a bunch of cheap AHLers to stay under the cap.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 10:10 PM   #50
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
There won't be an end until they change the rule to what it always should have been.

If you want to put a guy on LTIR and load up at the trade deadline then fine. But come playoff time you're going to have to figure out who sits and is replaced by a bunch of cheap AHLers to stay under the cap.
Fine with me. I’m totally ambivalent to what the rules are as long as all teams have the same rules.

I’m not going to be a crybaby about smart GMs in the meantime.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:12 PM   #51
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeah that's why they're going to look to put an end to this BS in the next CBA, because it's completely legit haha
I doubt it. Who cares? Owners have a hard cap, players get the money regardless. No one is shutting down the league over this.

Dumb GMs will get weeded out in favor of smart GMs and durability becomes less important.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:16 PM   #52
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
The problem I have with that solution is, let’s say you’re a team that left a 2 million dollar buffer at the start of the season, you’d be able to add a big contract or two at the deadline. Only if you changed the rules, you wouldn’t be able to, because come playoffs, it’d add up to more than the salary cap figure. It would also basically end the trade deadline deals.
You would just need to build in a buffer where teams that have saved up cap space would have more room to be compliant in the playoffs. If a team had $10 million in cap space at the deadline (without using LTIR), their playoff roster could exceed the cap by $10 million.

Or, they could have a player's playoff cap hit be equal to whatever counted against that team's cap space during the regular season. If a player with an $8 million cap hit was traded with 25% of the season remaining, his cap hit for the purpose of playoff compliance would only be $2 million.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:22 PM   #53
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friedman had a good point on one of the 293 appearances he does every week that the GMs weren’t impressed that someone isn’t available due to injury for game 82 of the regular season but then magically available on game 1 of the playoffs a couple days later.

Implied a solution discussed would be a delayed activation where you can declare their eligibility but can’t play for a week, etc. Also, it’s all bargained on and part of the CBA so I can’t imagine many changes until the next one.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 10:24 PM   #54
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Friedman had a good point on one of the 293 appearances he does every week that the GMs weren’t impressed that someone isn’t available due to injury for game 82 of the regular season but then magically available on game 1 of the playoffs a couple days later.

Implied a solution discussed would be a delayed activation where you can declare their eligibility but can’t play for a week, etc. Also, it’s all bargained on and part of the CBA so I can’t imagine many changes until the next one.
Exactly right, nothing can change until the next CBA. I do think this year's playoffs might have an impact as well, if Vegas repeats you are going to see more and more teams vocal about closing this off.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 10:38 PM   #55
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you ain't cheating you ain't trying
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 10:41 PM   #56
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly right, nothing can change until the next CBA. I do think this year's playoffs might have an impact as well, if Vegas repeats you are going to see more and more teams vocal about closing this off.
It isn’t that difficult to calculate a cap-weighted injury probability. The complaining teams will still not know how to do it and Las Vegas will do it again next year.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:41 PM   #57
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Even if it was like anyone who did not get back before the last game has to wait 7 days until after the playoffs start to be activated would at least put some consequence to using LTIR.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 10:59 PM   #58
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Even if it was like anyone who did not get back before the last game has to wait 7 days until after the playoffs start to be activated would at least put some consequence to using LTIR.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 11:05 PM   #59
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw someone suggest if you're on LTIR when the playoffs start that you shouldn't be able to play in the first round (or must miss a few games). I think that would be an acceptable compromise? There must be some kind of enforcement, as right now it's just too much. The Avs abused it as well if I'm not mistaken, they just weren't as obvious as Vegas and Tampa.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 11:29 PM   #60
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

the answer is pretty simple, the cap should apply throughout the season and playoffs, if a team wants to bring a star back of LTIR that's fine but a couple of players will have to ride the press box to make room for him
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote