Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2015, 05:19 PM   #21
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The few people who would care about it will likely be able to spot your counterfeit product from a mile away and will scoff at you for thinking you have something special. If you're the type of person who goes around bragging about the great deal you got and how anyone who actually buys legitimate products are suckers, the people who care will be able to point out half a dozen things that make your "authentic" stand out as a knock-off.
It's hard not to laugh at those who try to do this with their car by putting a high-end model badge on it....ie sticking an "M" on their low-end BMW. 90% of the people have no idea (or give a damn) what it means, and the ones who do, know you are a self-conscious fraud and are laughing at you.

I used to buy fake things here and there when I was younger (i.e. soccer jerseys at euro flea markets), but in the end you never really respect those items. Because while at the end of the day, even if you fool everyone that sees it, you'll never be able to fool yourself. Fake things make you feel like a fake person. When you consider the social and economic ramifications behind these practices, its even more of a reason to not support this stuff.

While often times the "authentic" item is not that much higher quality than the fake, there's something rewarding about attaining something you really like. Especially with higher end items that you have to really earn. One of the most satisfying moments in my adult life was when I finally saved up enough money to buy myself a nice watch. I take a ton of pride in that watch...and there's no way some $50 piece of junk would give me that no matter how many people I could fool.

Last edited by Table 5; 02-05-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 PM   #22
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've got a bunch of authentic jerseys and a handful of fakes.
The fakes are all at the bottom of my hockey bag and get worn for shinny or if I'm subbing for a team and need a number that isn't taped on.

Big shout out to Spetch who hooked me up with a new (legit) team Canada jersey in time for the Olympics for a great price!
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:47 PM   #23
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I feel sorry for people when I see them wearing a fake jersey -- I'm guessing they either thought they were getting the real thing, or they know its a fake but assume it's the same as what you see in stores. Little do they know that they are wasting their money on a vastly inferior product (and supporting an illegal industry to boot).

In the TSN article, they state that it costs less than $20 to buy a fake jersey from China. Assuming that's correct, out of the $75 you paid the guy at the flea market or on kijiji, $55 went into the pocket of the greasy seller and $20 covered the cost of your "jersey". You know, the one with the wrong font, cheap materials and crappy workmanship that people "in the know" can spot from across the room.
who would pay $75 for a fake?

the funny part is the fakes and the legits are likely made in the same factory...some fakes are better than others
Old 02-06-2015, 08:12 AM   #24
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
As others have mentioned, you can always find them for cheaper. You can get these online at Costco right now.

http://www.costco.ca/Officially-Lice...d=10302&refine=

$149 for an Premier Adult Reebok replica is more than reasonable.
Just to clarify, that price includes a proper stitched-on name and number of your choice on any team's replica home jersey. That's a damn good price.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #25
Ragz
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default An Interesting Situation

So I visited this sports pub franchise for a sporting event and during the game you where given an entry ticket with every beer purchased for a chance to win a jersey at the end of the game. Once the game was over they drew the ticket and I was selected as the winner (yay me!)

I'm guessing you already know where I'm going with this due to what thread I'm replying to, but yes, when I got the jersey home it is indeed fake/counterfeit. Being a jersey collector, a fan of the sport, and a fan of the business I'm shocked the sports pub is doing this. I get reason, why give away a $300 jersey when we can give away a $20 jersey, but you are generating revenue from the sport and from the give-away, at least support what you are doing.

Am I the only one that is disappointed/annoyed buy this activity? I already own the exact jersey they were giving away so I'm not too bias that I did not get the item I was expecting (I was still excited to get a new one, and retire the old). I did write the head office a letter asking them to replace the jersey with an licensed product. Can they face legal action from this (not from me) for supplying counterfeit items? Is this common?
Ragz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #26
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ha. I've actually noticed this as well. Mostly at local raffles, door prizes at hockey tournaments, charity auctions etc.

In fact there was a fake jersey at my company's United Way silent auction. I laughed.

I don't think it's done on purpose. I just figure whoever ordered/collected the prizes just doesn't know the difference.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:27 AM   #27
Ragz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragz View Post
So I visited this sports pub franchise for a sporting event and during the game you where given an entry ticket with every beer purchased for a chance to win a jersey at the end of the game. Once the game was over they drew the ticket and I was selected as the winner (yay me!)

I'm guessing you already know where I'm going with this due to what thread I'm replying to, but yes, when I got the jersey home it is indeed fake/counterfeit. Being a jersey collector, a fan of the sport, and a fan of the business I'm shocked the sports pub is doing this. I get reason, why give away a $300 jersey when we can give away a $20 jersey, but you are generating revenue from the sport and from the give-away, at least support what you are doing.

Am I the only one that is disappointed/annoyed buy this activity? I already own the exact jersey they were giving away so I'm not too bias that I did not get the item I was expecting (I was still excited to get a new one, and retire the old). I did write the head office a letter asking them to replace the jersey with an licensed product. Can they face legal action from this (not from me) for supplying counterfeit items? Is this common?
Should of added; this is a weekly promoted event, not just a one off occurrence.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #28
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

This one time at band camp I downloaded a car
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #29
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

I see this all of the time now, a lot of pubs give away NFL jerseys and they're always fake.

I've heard that most of the jerseys are given to the pub by a sponsor, so the problem could lie with the sponsor not necessarily the pub.

But if I was you I would be ticked off. I hate fakes and wouldn't be happy about accepting that, even though it's free.

I would bring it up with the pub for sure but it's doubtful they will do anything about it
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #30
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
who would pay $75 for a fake?

the funny part is the fakes and the legits are likely made in the same factory...some fakes are better than others
This same factory stuff just isn't true. The materials are wildly different. I got convince to buy a couple of fake NFL jerseys by a friend. Big mistake. Got two fakes for $40 each, but could have bought a real one for about $100. After a few wares it became quite obvious the stitching was sub par. Then I went to a stadium, and it was even more obvious that it was a fake.

The NHL fakes are even worse. When compared to the real, the obvious size differences and placing of patches is noticeable. The bigger issue is with the materials though. For example, the black on the inside of the lettering and Flaming C will fold and wrinkle on the fakes. It also has a weird shiny texture.

I have yet to see a passable fake, although some are worse than others. My advise would be to wait for a sale. You can find jerseys for $80 or less.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #31
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I got one a few months ago at Costco for about $35, I couldn't pass it up as I don't have one. Thee was just a pile of them. I'd be surprised if Costco is selling fakes, but the material is different that what I see on "high end" jerseys. It has all the official tags and stuff.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #32
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Costco jerseys aren't fake, they are licensed NHL team jerseys make by Reebok that are not striped like the one's the team wears and made with inferior materials so they can sell them cheaper.

These are a much better alternative to a fake jersey
Old 12-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #33
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks. I'm OK having inferior material, was just a little concerned it was a fake.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #34
EuKnoLikeMonny
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I noticed some fakes at those auction tables at the 'dome the other night, an autographed, fake Lundqvist jersey. Bizarre.
EuKnoLikeMonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #35
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Thanks. I'm OK having inferior material, was just a little concerned it was a fake.
No prob. These are like the jerseys that Canadian Tire has always had when I was growing up. Correct logo on the front but not the right striping, but half the price!
Old 12-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #36
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think some people in this thread don't know what a real jersey looks like sometimes.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #37
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember that replica is not fake. There are two types of real jerseys, authentic and replica. Authentic are exactly what the players on the ice wear, and can cost $300. Replica are look exactly like what the players wear, but the materials and stitching are not made for rough and tumble hockey. They are usually around $120. Unless you find something on sale from a trusted source, if a jersey is less than $100, you are being swindled.

Having said that, I think my next one will be authentic. I find the replica will fray at the embroidered areas quite easily, and the stitching comes apart rather easily. This is annoying since I expect a $120 + lettering garment to not fall apart with normal wear and tear.

I have a fake horse head that stays together better than an official replica.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #38
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Remember that replica is not fake. There are two types of real jerseys, authentic and replica. Authentic are exactly what the players on the ice wear, and can cost $300. Replica are look exactly like what the players wear, but the materials and stitching are not made for rough and tumble hockey. They are usually around $120. Unless you find something on sale from a trusted source, if a jersey is less than $100, you are being swindled.

Having said that, I think my next one will be authentic. I find the replica will fray at the embroidered areas quite easily, and the stitching comes apart rather easily. This is annoying since I expect a $120 + lettering garment to not fall apart with normal wear and tear.

I have a fake horse head that stays together better than an official replica.
I have seen real replicas on sale at places like Sport Chek or lids.ca for as low as $50. Like you say, the trick is getting a trusted source.

To add to your post "replicas" are often called "Premier" as well. The Youths are often called "Replica" while the adults are labelled as "Premier".
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:52 AM   #39
Ragz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Just an update to this. The sports pub franchise as per above has contacted me and will be sending me an authenticate jersey to replace the counterfeit!
Old 12-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #40
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just an update to this. The sports pub franchise as per above has contacted me and will be sending me an authenticate jersey to replace the counterfeit!
Good for them.

I know I have gotten to know a few managers at places where these promotions are held, and those jerseys are all supplied by the sponsor of the even. For MNF I believe Budweiser would be the supplier.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicom crap , counterfeit , fakes , jerseys