Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cleaning jerseys

I notice a fair number of people wear autographed jerseys to games. How do you go about cleaning them without ruining the signature? I want to get one autographed, but my wife will hound me to no end if I buy another jersey this year just to get it signed. And the thought of not washing a piece of clothing isn't that appealing to me.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd think either a tide pen or soap and water on select spots?

I don't wash my jerseys though so I'm not sure of the process with signatures.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never wash my jerseys either... that includes my '04 playoff jersey.

The only time I wear jerseys is at the games or when watching at pub, sometimes at home.

Either way, I would recommend hand washing if you need to, but I don't really know how well a sharpy signature will hold up.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have my precious Craig Conroy signed jersey. He signed it with an indelible sharpie. I have washed it numerous times (probably 15 times) in cold water (in the machine) and turned inside out. Hang to dry. It hasn't affected the signature so far. I have a new Sarich jersey that I need to get signed before he gets traded.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If its signed in black sharpie, the signature probably isn't going to wash off. I don't like to wear signed jerseys, but I happened to meet Conroy while wearing his jersey and he offered to sign it. I thought it would be rude to say no, so I turned around and he signed it. I've washed it lots of times, the signature won't come off.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #6
Smell My Finger
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
I notice a fair number of people wear autographed jerseys to games. How do you go about cleaning them without ruining the signature? I want to get one autographed, but my wife will hound me to no end if I buy another jersey this year just to get it signed. And the thought of not washing a piece of clothing isn't that appealing to me.
I don't wear my white 04 jersey that has multiple signatures.
Thats just me.
The other Flames jerseys I have and wear are unsigned.
But both my Son's have all the players from 04 signed and they has had it washed too many times to count.
Just wash it in cold water inside out. Make sure it is a Black Sharpie.
Smell My Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Flashprod
Draft Pick

If I washed it, it wouldn't smell like Stephane Yelle anymore...
Flashprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
Knut

Exp:

I do not wear my signed jerseys... i am going to get them framed and put up in the basement (once i get into a house).

I will throw my jersey (since 2005) in the wash... but never in the dryer.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

hey kunkstyle

i don't wash anything that's been signed... even with a sharpie.

i have a white 80's jersey that mike vernon signed (i think in '89). i wore it tons and washed it lots. the autograph is really faded now... mind you, he signed the jersey as i didn't have any numbers on it... it might be different if the twill number is signed??

you've just gotta take your wife out for a nice dinner with flowers and everything and then bring up the 'i need another jersey' conversation! mind you, the 'it's easier to ask for forgivness than premission' talk is also a good route to go! ha! ha!

cheers
Old 01-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Why would you be wearing it around to get dirty?

Any signed jersey I have goes right up on my wall so it doesn't get dirty because cleaning them is not fun. I got a Kiprusoff jersey signed for my little brother and he wore it one day and got it dirty, playing street hockey of all things, and it was impossible to get rid of the dirt without the autograph going bye-bye.

Just ask your wife if she can handle the tears when you get the jersey dirty and can't wash it. Tell her it is the best for everyone involved that you buy a jersey to get signed and hang in your games room or wherever she lets you.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
Why would you be wearing it around to get dirty?

Any signed jersey I have goes right up on my wall so it doesn't get dirty because cleaning them is not fun. ....
I wouldn't wear it with the sole purpose of getting it dirty. Just at home on game night. But I'm often clumsy with beer.

I've got two on the wall already. That might be the plan for the next one too. I just found it odd to see so many people wearing autographed jerseys at the Dome last time I was there. Figured they must be washing them at some point or another. My brother-in-law wears an autographed Lanny McDonald. (not a Vintage CCM, an original 89 no less...) I gave him **** for it one day when he showed up at the bar with it.

@bc-chris - Taking her out for dinner would cost just as much as buying another jersey. Better to go the other route.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 01-23-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't wash my 04 Jersey until I made the mistake of loaning it to my mom for Halloween last year. It came home smelling like perfume. I turned it inside out and washed it and the hung dry.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
C-Life
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Duct tape over the autograph, then wash. I hear that works well.
C-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #14
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Life View Post
Duct tape over the autograph, then wash. I hear that works well.
I've heard that. I'd be afraid that the duct tape would pull out some of the ink though...

Tags
autograph , cleaning , jerseys , signed , washing