Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 05:52 PM   #5201
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Creative Trade Strategy Oilers Can Use to Move James Neal
https://thehockeywriters.com/edmonto...rade-strategy/

"Trade James Neal + draft pick for 50% salary retained to team B, then team B retains another 50% and trades to Team C. Team C buys out Neal's contract and the Oilers are on the hook for $960k/year over 4 year buyout."

I don't see what's in it for Team C. They get some asset from team B and a $480k/year buyout penalty for 4 years? And why would Team B trade for Neal to end up also with a $480k/year buyout cap hit?

When a team trades for something, they want value back. In the Foligno and Savard trades, those players were roster players with value. Trading for Neal just to buy him out? Why?

That's some pretty stupid level Oiler logic.
Presumably you get some sweet picks if you are B or C. But it would take more than one Edmonton pick to get that ball rolling.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:07 PM   #5202
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Presumably you get some sweet picks if you are B or C. But it would take more than one Edmonton pick to get that ball rolling.
You have to think to for the first team to take on a million bucks a year for 4 years in dead cap space in a flat cap era for the next 4 years that the Oilers have to package at least a 1st round pick (and probably more) to get that deal rolling, considering the second team will have to give up at least a 2nd round pick to get the third team to take on 500K in dead cap space for 4 years.

Is it worthwhile for the second team (I am assuming it is not a contender) to move up 10-15 spots for 500k a year in dead cap space? Seems doubtful. Trade probably looks something like this

Neal + 1st rounder + 2nd rounder for a bag of pucks
Second team trades Neal + 2nd rounder and 4th rounder for a bag of pucks

2nd team basically turns a 4th into a 1st
3rd team gets a 2nd and a 4th for their trouble.

Neal and Lucic cost the Oilers 1.7 million for the next two years and Neal costs them 960K for the two after that. And the Oilers lose a 1st and a 2nd.

Funny thing is the Flames could probably eat 1.7 million on the Lucic contract and get an asset like a 2nd or a 3rd back. I am not much of a Brad fan, and it is tough to give him credit for winning a trade after such an awful UFA signing, but he fleeced the Oilers on that trade. Taken in isolation and forgetting the original signing, it was a hell of a trade.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 04-19-2021 at 06:35 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #5203
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1384943467105820675

The "something special" of prospect development.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #5204
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought after all this time he was in Bakersfield
Old 04-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #5205
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe he just sucks?
Old 04-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #5206
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Big Bob Stauffer will be on Sirius NHL radio this afternoon with Kouleas. Should be a lovefest.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:33 PM   #5207
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1383791185303523335

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before. A third of my life the Coilers have been “building something special”.
Also why are they always in the building phase?

Are they just afraid to proclaim that they are.... whatever it is they've been building toward for 15 years now?

They've kept me in anticipation for over a decade!

I guess given how many times trying to come out and say in one pompous yet indirect way or another that they're good now has backfired, I'm not surprised that the narrative will probably be "building" indefinitely.

Re: transformation of mcavi and raisaitl, lol wait.. what transformed exactly?

The only difference with this year's team is more D production and Mike Smith making saves. And the latter seems rather precarious, having seen Smith the starter up close firsthand.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:40 PM   #5208
Backstop
Scoring Winger

Exp:

At the end of the day we all know the Edmonton Oilers couldn't find their own ass if they started with their fingers stuck in it.

Reality will step in and right the balance soon enough.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:55 PM   #5209
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

TSN article today on how Mcdingus’ new aggression is proof of his constant willingness to improve. So dirty headshots are ‘improvement’? He can truly do no wrong. Cheap dirty play= Media spins it as willingness to improve. If the guy sneezed the media would praise him as a hero for expelling bacteria from his body.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3rd liner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 07:17 PM   #5210
sarge
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Friggin’ hilarious....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...n-good-really/
Old 04-21-2021, 07:24 PM   #5211
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t wait for the epic collapse we all know is coming.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 07:35 PM   #5212
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
It is this kind of joke writing which keeps the unwashed on the edge of their banner raising watching seats:

Or were they the team that lost to the 12th-place Chicago Blackhawks in four games, bowing out of the bubble before the playoffs even began, officially?

The play in wasn’t playoffs officially or unofficially, it was the play in round not playoffs anything. I’ve mentioned this before but this hack journalism is what passes for Pulitzer Prize material in a soviet architecture city where staples is propaganda minister #2.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:11 PM   #5213
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

At that point they were wondering — and so were we — who the real Edmonton Oilers were?

As these threads have always contended...the real Edmonton Oilers are really no good!

How good are these Oilers, really?

No ! Good! Really!

So we ask the question again: Are these Oilers for real?

The Oilers DO exist...and are Really No Good!

We wonder, what does “a chance to win” really mean for this team?

All teams have "a chance to win", but, if this guy has to keep asking these questions, over and over, then he needs it explained to him: E=NG! Really!
Old 04-21-2021, 09:06 PM   #5214
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spector you f****** hack. Applauds that big p**** Crysaitl for using his stick on Anderson instead of taking a hit like a man. Feeding somebody your stick instead of taking a hit is apparently ‘the international sign for standing up for yourself’. Actually, it’s the international sign you can’t take a hit and are thus a p****. There are two sets of rules according to the Oilers media. Dirty, cheap play by Oiler, avoiding fights with cheap stick work = standing up for yourself. Anybody else does it to the oilers= Crying for a suspension and not following the ‘code’. I hate Leon ten times more than Mcdingus.

Last edited by 3rd liner; 04-21-2021 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:08 PM   #5215
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol. All this bragging while playing their entire season solely within the worst division in hockey. Good grief.

These clowns are in for a shock when they actually have to go up against deeper, elite competition once the playoffs roll around. Not to mention playoff officiating is vastly different from the regular season, and the Oil won't get nearly as many PPs. Their inevitable collapse is gonna so enjoyable to watch.
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 09:13 PM   #5216
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd liner View Post
Spector you f****** hack. Applauds that big p**** Crysaitl for using his stick on Anderson instead of taking a hit like a man. There are two sets of rules according to the Oilers media. Dirty, cheap play by Oiler, avoiding fights with cheap stick work = standing up for yourself. Anybody else does it to the oilers= Crying for a suspension and not following the ‘code’. I hate Leon ten times more than Mcdingus. Definition of a p***y.
I cannot believe the rest of the sporting world journalists don’t see the Edmonton media for he Pom Pom waving, fanboy, hacks that they are. Like how can anyone take anything they say or write seriously?
Old 04-21-2021, 11:34 PM   #5217
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Lol. All this bragging while playing their entire season solely within the worst division in hockey. Good grief.

These clowns are in for a shock when they actually have to go up against deeper, elite competition once the playoffs roll around. Not to mention playoff officiating is vastly different from the regular season, and the Oil won't get nearly as many PPs. Their inevitable collapse is gonna so enjoyable to watch.
In any other year, keeping up with the Habs and Jets (bubble clubs in a normal year), yet letting the Leafs (first round floppers to this point) run your show doesn't put you in special company at all.

The top teams in this division are a collection of bubble teams, with TO being the closest to the "next" tier.

I really doubt Edmonton looks very good against actual top teams in Vegas, Tampa, Colorado, Boston, Carolina, NYI, and Florida.

I bet MacKinnon makes McDavid look rather ordinary head to head. Crosby probably makes him look sloppy and one dimensional.

Yes. That speaks volumes about the Flames and how they're doing, to be horse #### in this division, but the point still stands.

The "we made it" narrative always comes before meaningful hockey happens, which is rather awkward since the Oilers routinely fizzle out in the face of it.

Relying on Smith to carry you to greatness is a recipe for an epic faceplant and you can't convince me otherwise over a decade into his well-documented career.

So I guess we'll be the ones to yet again say "I told you so" when the inevitable happens.

Tbh, it never gets old.

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-21-2021 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:36 PM   #5218
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They won’t get that chance. They’ll be bounced by the Jets in no more than 6.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 11:45 PM   #5219
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1384943467105820675

The "something special" of prospect development.
So has he been healthy scratched, or put on the taxi squad? Man thats bad-he's supposed to be like a lesser version of Thomas Chabot.
I guess he's really really lesser than Chabot.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:31 AM   #5220
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:

All this bragging for a team that’s top 5 overall.

WAIT?!?? They aren’t top five overall?

Top 10 overall then.

Sorry, they aren’t top 10 Either.

That team that their fans and media thinks is so great is 13th overall. Playing against NONE of the top 8 teams in the league.
Closed Thread