Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2022, 12:22 PM   #6561
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Is that a longer term strategy that has been in play for a while? Because right now you'd think they'd be all about increasing production.
Increasing production isn't wise in this political climate. I bet we see more companies just try to pivot to cash flow generators on existing projects.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:38 PM   #6562
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I think politically Keystone is an issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if they play it is 'oh we've exhausted all other options we have no choice but to approve Keystone' just to try and get a political win.
It'd be easier to just rename Keystone to something else and quietly push it through
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:43 PM   #6563
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
It'd be easier to just rename Keystone to something else and quietly push it through
See for example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Call it the America First Pipeline. Sure thing.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2022, 12:48 PM   #6564
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The government is taking about investing $2 billion for mineral extraction related to battery production.
Honestly....good.

While I'm not all-in on renewables like our policy makers, if we're going all in on batteries/EVs, than I think it's good that at least we're investing inside Canada. We're a very mineral-rich country, and doing more mineral extraction here will not only have potential economic benefits, but will be done under higher environmental/safety standards, and help ensure a more secure stable supply so we're not as reliant on other countries (I don't think any one needs to be reminded these days of how important that is).

And honestly, I think bringing the mining closer to the end-user is only fair and equitable. Instead of just sniffing our own virtuous farts, while the dirty work is being done in far-flung developing countries by people we'd rather not think about, us in the West can also share in the burden of these policies. Because let's face it, even with higher Canadian standards, mineral extraction for batteries is going to be dirty, invasive, and will come with non-trivial environmental consequences. But at least this way, we can do so with clearer eyes and hopefully a better understanding that there is no such thing as an energy source with zero impact.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #6565
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It'll be interesting to see what an environmental assessment will look like, and if the environmental groups lose their nut over these mines, which are really environmentally bad and carbon intensive. They're going to be ok obviously with renewable tech but they literally want non of the resource exploitation or manufacturing in this country. They just want the cars to show up here all shiny.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:03 PM   #6566
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It'll be interesting to see what an environmental assessment will look like, and if the environmental groups lose their nut over these mines, which are really environmentally bad and carbon intensive. They're going to be ok obviously with renewable tech but they literally want non of the resource exploitation or manufacturing in this country. They just want the cars to show up here all shiny.
I'd actually like to see what the plan looks like for the "upstream" lithium industry in Canada. Obviously we have the resources both in terms of lithium in mineral form and in brine form. Getting raw lithium should be relatively easy but getting processed lithium that is ready for final goods like batteries is not a simple process. The environmental impact of "refining" lithium is very energy intensive and polluting so I wonder if that will be viewed as acceptable in Canada or if we would have to ship the raw lithium to China or elsewhere.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 03:07 PM   #6567
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The Peace Pipe(line)...

Worked for a certain bridge a few years back...
Old 04-05-2022, 04:43 PM   #6568
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Honestly....good.

While I'm not all-in on renewables like our policy makers, if we're going all in on batteries/EVs, than I think it's good that at least we're investing inside Canada. We're a very mineral-rich country, and doing more mineral extraction here will not only have potential economic benefits, but will be done under higher environmental/safety standards, and help ensure a more secure stable supply so we're not as reliant on other countries (I don't think any one needs to be reminded these days of how important that is).

And honestly, I think bringing the mining closer to the end-user is only fair and equitable. Instead of just sniffing our own virtuous farts, while the dirty work is being done in far-flung developing countries by people we'd rather not think about, us in the West can also share in the burden of these policies. Because let's face it, even with higher Canadian standards, mineral extraction for batteries is going to be dirty, invasive, and will come with non-trivial environmental consequences. But at least this way, we can do so with clearer eyes and hopefully a better understanding that there is no such thing as an energy source with zero impact.
I agree.

But we should be doing this with LNG development as well.

The facts are clear. Our LNG produces less emissions.

We are doing the world a massive disservice by not creating the infrastructure for the world to buy it.

Canada could be booming right now. We are loosing billions upon billions of economic activity because of short sighted stupidity.

At least we seem to understand that the same policies won't work when it comes to the battery game.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2022, 04:53 PM   #6569
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I agree.

But we should be doing this with LNG development as well.

The facts are clear. Our LNG produces less emissions.

We are doing the world a massive disservice by not creating the infrastructure for the world to buy it.

Canada could be booming right now. We are loosing billions upon billions of economic activity because of short sighted stupidity.

At least we seem to understand that the same policies won't work when it comes to the battery game.
Canada is already behind the eight-ball on lithium mining and batteries. China, Australia, southern South America, etc. are already well ahead of us.

We really need to take a page out of Australia's resource playbook. Their economic and workforce makeup, strength, and size is so similar to ours, yet they beat us by miles when it comes to new resource development.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:48 AM   #6570
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Shell already looks at moving onto Phase 2 for LNG Canada

Shell PLC SHEL-N is studying the feasibility of a major expansion of the LNG Canada joint venture in British Columbia, citing an increase in global demand for liquefied natural gas and the need for new reliable supplies.

Susannah Pierce, President of Shell Canada and National President, said LNG Canada will produce fuel at a lower carbon intensity than other large-scale terminals operating around the world.

“The energy transition is not simple. It’s complex, and we currently have a dependency on natural gas and oil that cannot be eliminated overnight,” she said. “So it takes a very thoughtful approach.”

LNG Canada’s first phase would operate at 0.15 tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent for every tonne of LNG produced, which is below BC’s limit for “emissions intensity” of 0. 16 tons of CO2 equivalent.
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:21 PM   #6571
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1511772668869160964
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:16 PM   #6572
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1512188652494983182
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:23 PM   #6573
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

You need a private company willing to do the project. Right now TC is suing the US government for ####ing them over. They have literally publicly said they are not doing the pipe now. Even recently AKA since the Ukrainian invasion. It's over.

I love how people talk about Energy East or Keystone like you can just magically revive them or like they're just sitting there ready to rock. I mean it's possible TC agrees to change course but can't imagine the toll schedules proposed in that scenario and would imagine they would require certain guarantees from various government agencies before doing it. Maybe TC could sell to the US Government I guess... but Canada should basically say F off unless you guarantee Line 5 can go ahead.

Building a long distance pipeline in NA has been rendered nearly impossible. I would know, I literally worked for 2 years on a massive pipeline project. The second you need to cross a border the feds have to get involved and it's a nightmare of extortion from First Nations, red tape and bureaucracy, unclear regulations and insane cost and timeline expectations. Extremely difficult to do.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 04-07-2022 at 04:26 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:24 PM   #6574
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Gotta keep those maritime seats. Drilling below 1200 metres of ocean has to be easier, safer and more environmentally friendly.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 04:54 PM   #6575
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

With the right stakeholders and guarantees from governments (Canada and US), I have no doubt TC could be convinced to revive Keystone XL. Sure, the schedule and timeline will be longer, but it's not like they did a shift-delete on all their blueprints/data/etc.

Energy East though? I think that ship is long gone.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:05 PM   #6576
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
With the right stakeholders and guarantees from governments (Canada and US), I have no doubt TC could be convinced to revive Keystone XL. Sure, the schedule and timeline will be longer, but it's not like they did a shift-delete on all their blueprints/data/etc.

Energy East though? I think that ship is long gone.
Nothing is impossible, but TC reviving KXL, is pretty darn close.
They've already had guarantees from the US government and look where it got them.
They've had the rug pulled out from under them twice, and are currently suing the US government a SECOND time because if it.

If the US government suddenly comes to TC and says "Hey, you guys wanna build a pipeline, we promise we won't pull the ball away this time" I have a hard time believing they are gonna line up to kick that field goal.

And boy, if I'm a producer, there's no way I'm making any sort of commitment to moving product down that line. It's a literal pipe dream.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 05:09 PM   #6577
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sorry, when I talk about guarantees I mean backing up several truckloads of cash, agreements from both governments and between both governments, and the US Feds saying to the States "this is happening, you can't stop it."
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:15 PM   #6578
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

TC would probably try to sell it before building it.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 06:07 PM   #6579
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

They'll look for the trans mountain deal for sure. Line their pockets and walk away.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:30 PM   #6580
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
TC would probably try to sell it before building it.
Yep. After they get payed out for the cancellation though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote