Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Flames Fire Feaster

http://www.calgarypuck.com/2013/12/b...ed-in-calgary/
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
six pack
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Nice write up. But I can't say I agree fully. That tweet Ryan Howse put out tells me that these boys lost there players trust some time ago.

I think Ryan deleted that tweet. But I'm sure others can find it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

1. What was Jay Feaster fired?

Should be why I assume. 100% agreed on the "timing" aspect, just get it done and Burke did just that, no need to wait.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

hard to disagree with D'Arcy......although I'd like to see someone dig up the mystery tweet......for now I'll assume that his Twitter account was hacked or perahsp there was a second tweeter........
Old 12-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
hard to disagree with D'Arcy......although I'd like to see someone dig up the mystery tweet......for now I'll assume that his Twitter account was hacked or perahsp there was a second tweeter........
The tweet was posted by sureLoss in the "Feaster and Weisbrod relieved of duties. Burke will hire a new GM" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Wow Ryan Howse implying Feaster forced him out?

Ryan Howse ‏@Rhowse27 1h
Wow Calgary one year too late on that one if that was last year I'd still be playing #zing #lovehockeytoday #iwannacomeback
The twitter account was apparently deleted soon afterwards. The tweet got a lot of negative feedback.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Meh that tweet was just sour grapes IMO. Feaster isn't the reason Howse wasn't dedicated enough to be a pro.

Good article but I don't agree with the "puppet" talk and feel this is probably something ownership wanted last year and Burke was simply allowed to evaluate what was there prior to firing people. It's possible a potential candidate was being eyed by Buffalo and Burke had to pull the trigger now or going into next year and the trade deadline he wanted to ensure the team got more value for guys like Cammalleri compared to last year and it's clear Burke doesn't feel the Flames got proper value for Iginla and Bouwmeester.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

What – was Jay Feaster fired???
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
hayduke's dad
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Four years

9th
10th
13th
13th

despite draft prospects you can't argue with results
hayduke's dad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hayduke's dad For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
1. What was Jay Feaster fired?

Should be why I assume. 100% agreed on the "timing" aspect, just get it done and Burke did just that, no need to wait.
No offence to you particularly man, but when you are downtown and the Flames pull the plug on their GM and you have to scramble to write a 1400 article at lunch what you really want is a discussion on the article and not someone pointing out an obvious speed typo.

Again apologies for being pissy, but drives me nuts
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Burke can bring in a great amateur scout / player development guy and let him grow on the job while he provides guidance and direction on these other facets with a eye to developing a GM in his image.

Is that a good thing? Seems a bit like like an emperor / Vader relationship, but few could argue that Burke isn’t a decent enough of a hockey man to be cloned and likely help the Flames out a lot.

Either way it’s pretty hard to argue what has happened in Calgary today; the Flames are now Brian Burke’s team. He no longer will sit in the back, attend functions in Toronto, and be a ceremonial person in the background.
This is one of the things that struck me during the press conference....
  • Burke not-so-humbly said that his Anaheim team winning the Cup in '07 changed the league, with all successful teams coming after having changed to follow the Burke Model of winning with big teams.
  • Feaster was fired because he wasn't following (and presumably wasn't willing to follow) the Burke Model.
  • Burke's going to look for a new GM who shares his same philosophy for winning; i.e. believes in the Burke Model.
  • When asked why he didn't just become GM himself, he replied that he'd given his word to ownership that he'd fill the hockey ops role, and the optics would be bad. He very notably didn't say he had no interest in being GM or wasn't the right man for the job, and has never really backed away from his clear comments after being fired from Toronto that he wanted and intended to be a GM again.

To me, all of this points to Burke seeing himself as the solution to what ails the Flames (who better to institute the Burke Model than the Creator?!) and assuming GM duties in all but name today, with whomever gets the official title being under his heel and direction.

Last edited by Mike F; 12-12-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
  • Burke not-so-humbly said that his Anaheim team winning the Cup in '07 changed the league, with all successful teams coming after having changed to follow the Burke Model of winning with big teams.
  • Feaster was fired because he wasn't following (and presumably wasn't willing to follow) the Burke Model.
  • Burke's going to look for a new GM who shares his same philosophy for winning; i.e. believes in the Burke Model.
  • When asked why he didn't just become GM himself, he replied that he'd given his word to ownership that he'd fill the hockey ops role, and the optics would be bad. He very notably didn't say he had no interest in being GM or wasn't the right man for the job, and has never really backed away from his clear comments after being fired from Toronto that he wanted and intended to be a GM again.

To me, all of this points to Burke seeing himself as the solution to what ails the Flames (who better to institute the Burke Model than the Creator?!) and assuming GM duties in all but name today, with whomever gets the official title being under his heel and direction.

Through this whole matter, I just hope that if Burke fails, he gets thrown under the bus HARD.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing, as long as Burke and our new GM work together and the GM is an actual contributor to the process. Otherwise what would be the point? And why would the organization go out and get a GM if he's going to be nothing more than a stuffed shirt, are there optics the team is trying to avoid that I'm not aware of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Noted, I won't point out typos again. I just figured a typo is something that needs to be corrected and we can serve as proof readers. Sorry.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

All good!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
No offence to you particularly man, but when you are downtown and the Flames pull the plug on their GM and you have to scramble to write a 1400 article at lunch what you really want is a discussion on the article and not someone pointing out an obvious speed typo.

I assume you meant "1400 word" here.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burnin_vernon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

1400 article is slang in the biz man.
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #16
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always kind of wonder why these guys (GM's and the like) are "fired". I don't know too many folks who get fired who manage to find work elsewhere in the exact same field doing the exact same thing. Actually getting "fired" is more a statement on one's capabilities. I'd be more likely to say that Feaster has been "relieved of duties" or has "stepped down" or something. I don't know..."fired" just doesn't work for me for folks like GM's and their ilk.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Really well put.

Burke is the GM in every way that matters.

All in all I find this whole thing depressing. Not because Feaster was fired or because I don't like Burke (Though he doesn't excite me either). Just that we're back to the Sutter despot model of management and changing directions -again - so the last 2 years were pretty much just a waste. Bah humbug.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

As others have alluded to, Burke brought up the need of a blueprint.

I guess it could be argued that Feaster's plans didn't jive with Burke's but my opinion of the deals Feaster made, is that he didn't have a blueprint other than saying this guy has good stats, lets try and sign him or trade for him and so last season, we ended up with the smallest team in the league along with 17 left wingers.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I also believe Burke will be for all intensive purposes the GM for the flames going forward. The guy that he hires will likely be chosen based on his ability to do exactly what Burke wants... Not to bring in a different perspective or another hockey mind to the team. Don't be surprised if it takes longer to find that kind of GM. But I'm sure Burke won't mind the spotlight during that time.

I think that the timing of all this is because the trades are going to start happening right after the new year and Burke wants to control that. Also, I imagine Burke's ideas of the untouchables in the organization are very different than Feaster's. Brodie, baertschi, gaudreau, Jankowski, and Gillies are probably considered in feaster's group of untouchables... Where as Burke probably only has gillies on that list (maybe). I agree more with Feaster that I want to keep those young guys and develop them.

I really don't think the solution is to trade away the young talent that the flames have for other team's talent just because they aren't developing the way we want... I think that is just an indication that the team needs to improve its player development.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #20
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post

I think that the timing of all this is because the trades are going to start happening right after the new year and Burke wants to control that. Also, I imagine Burke's ideas of the untouchables in the organization are very different than Feaster's. Brodie, baertschi, gaudreau, Jankowski, and Gillies are probably considered in feaster's group of untouchables... Where as Burke probably only has gillies on that list (maybe). I agree more with Feaster that I want to keep those young guys and develop them.

I really don't think the solution is to trade away the young talent that the flames have for other team's talent just because they aren't developing the way we want... I think that is just an indication that the team needs to improve its player development.
I didn't realize you had a good long talk with Burke about who he likes and about his plan on trading away all the young players. People assuming they know what Burke is thinking is driving me crazy.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post: