Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #1101
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So we recently moved to Winston Heights - Mountview, and I phone Telus cause I think I'm ready for a change from Shaw (and I have a Telus PVR as per my post above). Even though I'm still basically inner city, all Telus can provide me is 6 or 15 Mbps internet, and Satellite (no Optik) TV. Apparently I'm too far away from the closest Telus connection point or something. What the heck? Do lots of people have this problem?

This sucks, as I have no option now but to stick with Shaw.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #1102
an hero
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
So we recently moved to Winston Heights - Mountview, and I phone Telus cause I think I'm ready for a change from Shaw (and I have a Telus PVR as per my post above). Even though I'm still basically inner city, all Telus can provide me is 6 or 15 Mbps internet, and Satellite (no Optik) TV. Apparently I'm too far away from the closest Telus connection point or something. What the heck? Do lots of people have this problem?

This sucks, as I have no option now but to stick with Shaw.
It all depends on distance from CO/RT. I'm in the same area you're in and had the same predicament only a few months ago.

From what I understand, the nearest CO is around 16 and Centre (DSL is limited by "last mile" bottleneck, so it all depends on how your neighbourhood is wired) -- while that's not a huge physical distance, the way they wire this area is really stupid. If you're close enough and have updated wiring in your house (if you're not in a house that's about to fall apart) they may try to double bond to get you TV service, otherwise, they can't be arsed until they upgrade the area. The funny thing too is a coworker nearby lives right across the street from a school which has a CO noticeably by the sidewalk directly in his view for him to stare at, and yet he's wired to the 16 and Centre CO as well. Really amazing.

I would stick with Shaw, which I found has better internet service in this area too. I wanted to go with Telus to bundle their services, but oh well. My Shaw speed was something like 28/4 (for $50) when I last did a speed test a few months back.

Last edited by an hero; 04-08-2014 at 10:27 PM.
an hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #1103
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wish their TV has more tuners. Diving me nuts that I cant record a few shows and also watch live TV. But the box is pretty good.

I'm looking at going to the shaw gateway as it's like 6 tuners but it's pretty hefty price wise
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:30 AM   #1104
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I purchased a large flat screen TV yesterday, and have a Telus Optik CIS 330 modem. Unfortunately, the one I have is missing the power cord. Where could I get a replacement cord? Any stores or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #1105
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Are you just using an old box? You may have to call in and get a reg code which will probably dispatch a tech to install the box.
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #1106
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Last edited by PsnaP; 02-03-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #1107
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What happened to the netflix comment? Did they pull the app?
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #1108
Flame12
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
What happened to the netflix comment? Did they pull the app?
not ready as of yet but it is coming.
Flame12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #1109
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I noticed it in the guide (I think it was channel 423 or so), but when I ran it, it said it was not available. I rebooted the box and when it came back up, Netflix was missing. Still working out the kinks, I suspect.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #1110
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It was on yesterday morning but then removed. Should be back shortly.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:13 AM   #1111
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Netflix app is back on. I didnt log in because I dont have an active account right now so Im unable to test it.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:30 AM   #1112
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it in the Guide last night, so I fired it up and logged in with no problems at all.

Didn't watch anything, but great to have it in there.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #1113
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Saw it in the Guide last night, so I fired it up and logged in with no problems at all.

Didn't watch anything, but great to have it in there.
I had it working.. Nice quality picture. But trying it today nothing wants to load
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #1114
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know this isn't really TV related, but I am moving to Telus from Shaw and the guy I was talking to on the phone refused to process the order unless I gave him my Shaw account number.

I dont want to port my phone number and cannot figure out why they would need my Shaw account number to do this.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #1115
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It may be required if you were part of a special promo targeting shaw customers.

I know in the past it has been a requirement in order to be eligible for offers that target shaw customers.

Even if you are not porting they still want proof of service to be eligible for the promo.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #1116
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious why anyone would use these Optik boxes for anything VOD, Netflix, Crave, etc. The 720p signal is terribly compressed compared to PS3, Apple TV, Smart TV's, etc.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #1117
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
I'm curious why anyone would use these Optik boxes for anything VOD, Netflix, Crave, etc. The 720p signal is terribly compressed compared to PS3, Apple TV, Smart TV's, etc.
I believe no data caps would be a key reason.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:51 PM   #1118
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can see the appeal of optik Netflix for its convenience - no need to switch to a different device. That said, I tried to like it but I've noticed bad stuttering when using the optik Netflix app. It's not the Internet connection either, since switching to our wifi dvd player worked flawlessly. And as you said, both picture quality and sound quality were quite noticeably superior. Not sure I'll keep using it.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #1119
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was disappointed in the audio quality on the Netflix app. It sounded pretty bland and my receiver even showed it wasn't full digital surround.

Is that a limitation they have implemented on the Telus app? I haven't tried Netflix on my BluRay player yet to see if there is any difference.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #1120
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Totally agree. Are the Netflix/Crave apps stuck at 720p? I assumed 1080i, but I'll still stick with my Roku, thank you very much.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote