Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #21
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Never really watched all that closely to how long it takes for new seasons to come up on Netflix. Maybe someone else who tracks this better can speak up?
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #22
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are no hard and fast rules for tv shows on Netflix. It all depends on who owns their Canadian distribution rights (for Netflix Canada).

There are some shows that are "Netflix Originals" that are only available on Netflix and are made available as full seasons at once. These are shows like Orange in the New Black and House of Cards.

There are some shows that Netflix took control of after they were cancelled by their original broadcaster and turned into "Netflix Originals" for one or more seasons. Arrested Development and The Killing are both examples of this type of show. Typically, once the deal is made for Netflix to produce new episodes, all of the previous episodes are made available and then once the new episodes are done, they're all released at once.

Then, there are the typical broadcast show that airs on a regular channel and is made available some months after the season finished airing, usually before the next season begins airing on the regular broadcaster. This is similar to the DVD release schedule a lot of shows have.

To further complicate things, there are some shows that Netflix owns the Canadian rights to (but not the US/UK rights), so those can show up on Netflix a lot faster than other shows. Season 2 of Hannibal was on Netflix within a week or two of the season ending on NBC (season 1 aired on City in Canada, but not season 2). The show Mike Tyson Mysteries airs on Adult Swim in the US (a channel not available here), and Netflix owns the Canadian rights to it, so new episodes are on Netflix Canada the day after a new episode airs in the US.

Then, to add a final wrinkle to the whole situation, the Netflix owns the local rights to some shows in other countries that they don't own in Canada or the US, so new episodes of those series may be on Netflix UK or Australia the day after they air on their US networks. If you have an international VPN, you can get some shows that way long before they show up on Netflix Canada.

I believe there's always at least a day's lag between a show airing in the US and it showing up on a local Netflix. If you want to be able to talk about Sunday night's episode of The Walking Dead on Monday morning, you're going to have to keep your subscription to AMC (or use torrents).
Old 12-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #23
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Looks like I get it for free- as I have the $20 movie channel package and it's included.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #24
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Never really watched all that closely to how long it takes for new seasons to come up on Netflix. Maybe someone else who tracks this better can speak up?
Depends on the series, I know Hell on Wheels seems to get released a week after the newest DVD season is released.
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #25
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

So far it's commercial free. Also pleased to report all 6 Star Trek television series are there too.

Also a fair number of Discovery Channel shows; a few seasons of Mythbusters included.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #26
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't seem to be available in BC yet. Well at least I can't get it.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #27
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Telus Cable Box App doesn't have the fulll selection. Hopefully that will improve in the coming weeks.
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:26 AM   #28
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, is it like the different services have rights to certain tv shows? like what you get on Crave you can't on Shomi and vice versa. How does Netflix fit into that?
Old 01-02-2015, 08:27 AM   #29
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
Is this the Bell answer to shomi?
Yes.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:33 AM   #30
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Seems netflix has more selection than either Shomi or Crave. My brother in law has Shomi and said there is not many good movies/shows on there.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #31
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not surprising, given the relative ages of the respective services. I don't use any of them, but I would probably choose to use Netflix if I did. We're too often funneled into choosing one of 2 or 3 telecoms/ISPs here. Having just another service that silos things into Rogers/Shaw (Shomi) or Bell/Telus (Crave) doesn't seem like an improvement worth supporting.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Seems netflix has more selection than either Shomi or Crave. My brother in law has Shomi and said there is not many good movies/shows on there.
They must have a terrible selection then as Netflix Canada still sucks for movie selection.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #33
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
They must have a terrible selection then as Netflix Canada still sucks for movie selection.
It's so easy to not have Netflix Canada, I'm not sure why anyone would suffer through that any longer.

Edit: And just as I say that:

http://torrentfreak.com/netflix-crac...irates-150103/

Last edited by Igster; 01-05-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:48 PM   #34
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM View Post
The Telus Cable Box App doesn't have the fulll selection. Hopefully that will improve in the coming weeks.
Noticed this as well. Is there any viable reason for this? I literally get - at most - 1/4 of what is available when I access the service from my PVR hardware as opposed to my computer.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #35
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, is anyone else having a poor experience with streaming on a computer? On all my devices and browsers the video is choppy, stuttering, and cuts out. The frame rate is terrible.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:11 PM   #36
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really enjoying Crave so far. They seem to be continually adding new shows.

Only complaint right now is the Telus cable box app won't auto-play next episodes like Netflix or Crave's web solution does.

I'm told there will be an Apple TV app coming in the future, so hopefully there's more to come. Good selection for $4/mo
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #37
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

does anyone know if the bell sat boxes have access? i have online access but don't see it on the sat box
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #38
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

I do not have access on my Bell Satellite receivers.

CraveTV is not currently available using your Satellite receiver. However you can access the content with your smartphone, tablet, and computer

I think in the future it may be available; only if your receiver is plugged into a LAN connection.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #39
lifetime_flamesfan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

The Calgary Herald just put this article online.

http://calgaryherald.com/technology/...avetv-compared
lifetime_flamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lifetime_flamesfan For This Useful Post: