Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #61
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Don did exactly what he needed to last episode, changed the conversation.
That was freakin' awesome.

Can't believe Burt quit, loved his line though..."Tobacco put a roof over your head".

Last edited by Torture; 10-11-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #62
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I'd say Tony Soprano was much worse.
Because he killed people? As far as I remember, Tony only killed those who had volunteered to play the game.

Yes, he cheated, lied, hurt people, etc., but you also got regular reminders about how much love he had for his families. Outside of Anna, I can't think of anyone Don really cares about. In every relationship he has, he focused on what he can get out of it. He's completely self-absorbed, as we were reminded this week.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #63
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy cow. I was in shock as that proposal scene was unfolding. I mean yeah, they had slept together and there was still the whole "you'll be married within the year" comment hanging over this season, but yikes.

Then to see Hurricane Don just destroy Dr. Miller ... damn.

It was also interesting to see Don snapping between Don and Dick in the cafe when that milkshake spilled and Megan pointed out that it was just a milkshake. She definitely chills him out. Joan still being pregnant ... not a shock, that conversation in the doctor's office with that girls mother definitely hit her hard.

Crazy episode tonight.

Also ... a much more mellow way to end this season compared to the past.

Last edited by nik-; 10-17-2010 at 09:19 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #64
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

"They're bigger."

I'm glad they didn't do another "what's going to happen with the agency?" finale like last year.

The proposal was ridiculously fast, but he did live up (or down) to Faye's prediction.

I really liked the scene with Joan and Peggy. It was so nice to see them actually be friendly with each other for once.

I wonder if Don will end up keeping the house? I could see them starting next season with Don and Megan living in the old house with the kids and the nanny re-hired.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #65
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Meaghan is a sane Betty . . . . that's what Don was thinking . . . . and a way to get a happy nuclear home life back.

Meanwhile, Betty wants Don back . . . . fixing herself up and inventing an excuse to run into him at the old house. She's my favourite psycho on TV.

And Betty got to him anyway, that's what the final scene was about.. . . . Don staring at the ceiling, wondering what might have been and, dare we say it, what could still be.

Nice shot by Dr. Miller at the end about liking things at the start.

Cowperson
Old 10-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #66
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really liked the finale. Seeing Don happy and Betty miserable was just icing on the cake.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:30 PM   #67
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Meagan's line "It's just a milkshake" was pretty telling.
Still, you can't help but think he's going down the Roger Sterling path of self destruction.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:01 AM   #68
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For those who haven't seen Hot Tub Time Machine, this link may interest you
(those who have seen it, probably just want a nice refresher)
http://www.cafe.ba/vijesti_slike/v25597-1.jpg
PHOTO IS NSFW - It is Jessica Pare (Meaghan) showing her tits in the movie

I'm curious what January Jones' (Betty Draper) next role will be. She is incredibly hot so I like her, but am really starting to extremely dislike her because the Betty Draper character is so annoying.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:19 AM   #69
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Because he killed people? As far as I remember, Tony only killed those who had volunteered to play the game.

Yes, he cheated, lied, hurt people, etc., but you also got regular reminders about how much love he had for his families. Outside of Anna, I can't think of anyone Don really cares about. In every relationship he has, he focused on what he can get out of it. He's completely self-absorbed, as we were reminded this week.
Sorry for Sopranos chat the night of the Mad Men finale, but I just saw this post.

How about when Tony killed Christopher?? How about when he killed Tony B?? I know that one probably needed to happen, and there is justification behind it, but for a man who was all about family, he killed two guys that he groomed from a very young age. Tony was a very unlikeable character in the last couple of seasons of the show and I read an interview with Gandolfini saying he didn't like playing Tony as the show came to a conclusion.

Back to Mad Men, I didn;t think it was the greatest finale. I thought it lacked the WOW factor of the other finales. Not that I'm always looking for that, but I guess my expectations were high based on last year's finale. The proposal thing definitely caught me off guard and yes, the scene in the diner with the kids and the milkshake was very telling. I was waiting all episode to see if there would be one finale Don and Betty scene and sure enough we had it and it was a great one.

Pretty upset we have to wait 10 months or whatever it is for new episodes, but I just started re watching Season One, so I'll get my Mad Men fix for the time being.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:38 AM   #70
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I noticed this in a couple of posts above and I guess I totally missed it and by all accounts would have made me see certain scenes differently. But when did Faye say that Don would be re married within the year?? Who did she say it to and what was the context?? I totally missed or forgot that line.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #71
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
I noticed this in a couple of posts above and I guess I totally missed it and by all accounts would have made me see certain scenes differently. But when did Faye say that Don would be re married within the year?? Who did she say it to and what was the context?? I totally missed or forgot that line.
It was well before they started dating, they were having a drink in the kitchen of SCDP and he just opened up to her about his personal life. It was the same conversation that he found out she wasn't actually married.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #72
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
she said something like "you're type always is." then "oh, i forgot...people don't like to think of themselves as a type"

Quote:
Back to Mad Men, I didn;t think it was the greatest finale. I thought it lacked the WOW factor of the other finales. Not that I'm always looking for that, but I guess my expectations were high based on last year's finale. The proposal thing definitely caught me off guard and yes, the scene in the diner with the kids and the milkshake was very telling. I was waiting all episode to see if there would be one finale Don and Betty scene and sure enough we had it and it was a great one.
This. There really wasn't an OH SH*T moment (even the proposal). I kind of expected it though, we got the climax last week with the smoking awesomeness. This week was about wrapping up the loose ends (and then purposely untying one with Betty at the end)

Last edited by Flames0910; 10-18-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #73
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a brilliant show. When Betty was alone in the house at the end, I half-expected the weird kid to show up and off her - probably just my own wishful thinking.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #74
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What does everyone think of Glen? Was/is he just there to get Betty to finally move? Or is there more?

What about Firing the housekeeper? Was that just to get Meaghan to go to Cali, or is there some other reason?

Old 10-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #75
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
What does everyone think of Glen? Was/is he just there to get Betty to finally move? Or is there more?

What about Firing the housekeeper? Was that just to get Meaghan to go to Cali, or is there some other reason?
Why would Betty want Megan to go to California?? I don't understand what you're trying to insinuate???

I think Glen will try to contact Sally down the line and maybe re-open that relationship as well. In all honesty, despite limited screen time, I found the character of Sally the most interesting of the season.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #76
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

The always interesting Mad Men analysis in Time Magazine . . . .

http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2010/1...-a-ring-on-it/

Cowperson
Old 10-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #77
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think there's more. Something about him reminds her of her past is my guess.

Quote:
- Megs to Cali
- Adds to the Betty is a bitch pile
- Shows Betty as a child, she did that out of spite
- Drives a wedge between her and new husband

I could see Don moving back into the house and the Sally - Glen situation continue which will uncover whatever it is from Betty's past. I can see Carla coming back when he has the kids too.

Agree with the comments about Joan and Peggy's scene, I'd like some of the periphery characters to get the spotlight every so often.

Some interesting loose ends:

- How much will Don change and will he come clean on who he is?
- What's up with Betty?
- How will Rog take the news Joan is still pregnant?
- Will Joan's husband be KIA in Vietnam next season?
- Will the agency recover? (seems to be)
- Is Roger actually gone?
- How will Meg and Don's relationship affect the agency?
- Will Pete actually have a personality and stop talking like a loser? (ok, that one's my own hope)

It was a good wrap up for a season ender.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #78
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Why would Betty want Megan to go to California?? I don't understand what you're trying to insinuate???

I think Glen will try to contact Sally down the line and maybe re-open that relationship as well. In all honesty, despite limited screen time, I found the character of Sally the most interesting of the season.
No not Betty wanting, but why did the writers bring the character back all of the sudden.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #79
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One other thing, Joan's last name has always been Harris right?
What Season did she get married again?
I noticed her husbands "name tag" on his military uniform was Harris.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #80
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One other thing, Joan's last name has always been Harris right?
What Season did she get married again?
I noticed her husbands "name tag" on his military uniform was Harris.
According to IMDB, her maiden name is Holloway, and she got married at the end of season 2.

Tags
betty's hot , joan is amazing