Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2018, 07:18 PM   #161
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well it appears that there won't be many QBs who will be drafted this year that will be week 1 starters, at the very least. And that's.....shockingly smart. It's not a great QB class, guys have potential but most of them need a good chunk of work. Bills might not even need to trade up to get anyone, we might actually see QBs slide this year.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #162
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
If Rodgers doesnt fall to the pack, TT would have been shown the door a long time ago. most overrated GM out there, got lucky with 1 pick
I felt he did alright all the way up to their Superbowl, and then just went crazy trying to retain guys. I think their drafting has been right down the middle but they can't seem to land the big free agents even if they get to play with Rodgers.

I wonder if there is any reason/interest from Rodgers to wait back on his contract and see what else is out there. I'm sure he loves being a Packer, but they seem kind of on the downswing
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:18 PM   #163
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

he may play elsewhere if the Packers dont want to play him until he is 41 or whatever his desired retirement is, but he will be there for at least the next 4 seasons if not 5.

Last edited by transplant99; 03-13-2018 at 08:23 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:36 AM   #164
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Carlos Hyde to the Browns

Isaiah Crowell to the Jets

Jerick McKinnon to the 49ers

John Brown to the Ravens

Jonathon Stewart to the Giants

Donte Moncreif to the Jags

Last edited by transplant99; 03-14-2018 at 07:40 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #165
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn I was hoping the Raiders may be in on McKinnon but the 49ers can have him for $30 million. That’s obscene for a backup RB that averaged 3.8 YPC.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-14-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:42 AM   #166
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks like Dion Lewis to the Titans 4yr/20M
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2018, 08:48 AM   #167
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giants get Nate Solder. Huge signing for their crap OL.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #168
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Titans going full out Pats.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #169
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Titans going full out Pats.
I guess that was bound to happen seeing the GM probably scouted some of the players when he was the Pats head college scout.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #170
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Giants get Nate Solder. Huge signing for their crap OL.
that is big...dude is a stud.

I know the hawks were wanting him as they should. really dont understand what Schneider and Carroll are thinking there. Wilson needs protection and he is their only real hope of being an elite team more than just being an elite defense. Keep the guy standing for chrissakes...though it doesnt hurt my feeling any to see them fail.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #171
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

WTF is Arizona doing?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #172
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
WTF is Arizona doing?
Know they’re headed back to the basement and cutting players who refuse to take a pay cut? I’m all for it.

Speaking of, Denver picking up the option for drop machine DT sucks hard. He’s nowhere near a top 10 WR but now is getting paid like it still and they can’t get out from it by cutting him.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #173
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Yeah Mathieua is a tremendous talent but $$ on the cap that would have been guaranteed this afternoon was hard to reconcile with his ability to stay healthy, although he did play all 16 this past season.

Quote:
Mathieu was cut just hours before $5.75 million of his 2018 salary and $8 million of his 2019 salary were to be guaranteed Wednesday afternoon
Quote:
Mathieu, 25, finished three of his five seasons on injured reserve thanks to two major knee injuries -- a torn ACL and LCL in 2013 and a torn ACL in 2015. Mathieu's 2015 knee injury derailed the best season of his career. When he went down in Week 15 -- the game the Cardinals clinched their most recent NFC West title -- he was in the conversation for Defensive Player of the Year. He was named a first-team All-Pro and to the Pro Bowl that season.

His 2016 season was cut short by a shoulder injury that landed him on injured reserve.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #174
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Joe Thomas retired.

#canton

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/...3-391b35f95956

From the very first snap of his career -- a 2-yard run by Jamal Lewis against the Steelers -- to his 10,000th -- a 9-yard run by Isaiah Crowell in Baltimore -- to his final one Oct. 22, against the Titans, Thomas never let up. Through aches and pains, ligament tears and more, Thomas never missed a play over a span that featured 10,363 of them.

When Thomas earned his 10th Pro Bowl nod at the end of the 2016 season, he became the fifth player and the only lineman in NFL history to be selected to the Pro Bowl each of his first 10 seasons, joining Pro Football Hall of Famers Barry Sanders, Lawrence Taylor, Mel Renfro and Merlin Olsen. Thomas’ 10 Pro Bowls are a team record, surpassing Hall of Famers Jim Brown (nine) and Lou Groza (nine). Thomas was the longest tenured member of the Browns and was selected to the Associated Press All-Pro team eight times, including six first-team honors.

Last edited by troutman; 03-14-2018 at 03:51 PM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #175
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Trevor Siemian to Vikings. Is this trade rosters day between Vikings & Broncos? Do they want Vance Joseph?
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #176
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
They have 27 million in space...now.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Cap space is not a real issue at all. Now, if they wanted to blow their brains out for a couple CB's and a LB...then sure, but GB has never been that kind of team.

They will be fine in regards to cap and filling holes.
Maybe im missing something but I don't see Graham or Wilkerson on that list. don't know exactly how those deals are structure yet but I though I read the expectation is they should be just under 20 mill in space after those guys and still need about 9 mill for their draft. Still some money there but not a ton.

That being said they do have options to open up more if they need to so I suspect they'll be fine, but they need value signings right now.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #177
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
Maybe im missing something but I don't see Graham or Wilkerson on that list. don't know exactly how those deals are structure yet but I though I read the expectation is they should be just under 20 mill in space after those guys and still need about 9 mill for their draft. Still some money there but not a ton.

That being said they do have options to open up more if they need to so I suspect they'll be fine, but they need value signings right now.
Oh for sure.

But they really only need one more major piece and thats obviously at CB. Johnson or Breeland would have been nice, but just too much $$. They are at 58 guys signed right now...so honestly just not a lot of need. Now, Jahri Evans is a FA and if he doesn't come back, they will be needing to replace him as well as a couple depth LB's.

Looks like Rashaan Melvin is the target right now for corner.

If they need cap space there are a few options that can open up a bunch, not the least of which is a re-structuring of Rodgers deal which by all accounts is well under way. Also, releasing Cobb would free up 9 or so million, but man that would really put a dent into AR's familiarity with his guys. I also expect to see them add an experienced WR at least before camp. They were in on Sammy Watkins and Allen Robinson but those guys went for way to much money. If Jordy signs in Oakland as expected, Crabtree could be that guy as he would likely be released.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #178
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Oh for sure.

But they really only need one more major piece and thats obviously at CB. Johnson or Breeland would have been nice, but just too much $$. They are at 58 guys signed right now...so honestly just not a lot of need. Now, Jahri Evans is a FA and if he doesn't come back, they will be needing to replace him as well as a couple depth LB's.

Looks like Rashaan Melvin is the target right now for corner.

If they need cap space there are a few options that can open up a bunch, not the least of which is a re-structuring of Rodgers deal which by all accounts is well under way. Also, releasing Cobb would free up 9 or so million, but man that would really put a dent into AR's familiarity with his guys. I also expect to see them add an experienced WR at least before camp. They were in on Sammy Watkins and Allen Robinson but those guys went for way to much money. If Jordy signs in Oakland as expected, Crabtree could be that guy as he would likely be released.
Lots of buzz that Tramon Williams is coming back to for some depth at corner which would br a big help. He can still play and has experience in Pettine's D. Melvin feels like a must sign at this point....

I don't think the can cut Cobb, WR too thin but they could restructure him and save some $ as an option too. Im pretty pleased with where they are personally but the draft is key. They need to nail it with how many picks they have and then they'll really be ok.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #179
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
Lots of buzz that Tramon Williams is coming back to for some depth at corner which would br a big help. He can still play and has experience in Pettine's D. Melvin feels like a must sign at this point....

I don't think the can cut Cobb, WR too thin but they could restructure him and save some $ as an option too. Im pretty pleased with where they are personally but the draft is key. They need to nail it with how many picks they have and then they'll really be ok.
Agreed WR could be really thin without Cobb. They did tender Geronimo and Michael Clark, so they have guys there, but certainly very thin on experience.

Also agree with the draft..have to hit on 2 or 3 guys to be close to starting calibre. 12 picks gives them decent odds to do so.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #180
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://nypost.com/2018/03/15/raider...aving-oakland/

I hate this year's free agency. There's simply been no good deals. The Raiders sign Jordy Nelson and release Crabtree. It's a moderate upgrade if Nelson can get close to his 2016 form. Not a fan of giving a 32 year old receiver a two year deal with $13 million guaranteed but it appears if you don't overpay badly this year you are going to be left sitting on your hands.