Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2021, 05:40 PM   #161
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Has anybody in his close circle of normal friends thought of an intervention or something?
Mary Trump says he has no friends.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #162
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Mary Trump says he has no friends.
Surprised Mary Trump would comment on Theo Fleury, but stranger things have happened.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 05:43 PM   #163
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Surprised Mary Trump would comment on Theo Fleury, but stranger things have happened.
LOL - I was posting to the wrong thread.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 02:01 AM   #164
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
That went as well as you would expect

https://twitter.com/user/status/1347891740011847681
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 09:43 AM   #165
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
He's tweeted or retweeted 20+ times since posting that. He's addicted to his audience and won't leave Twitter.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:38 PM   #166
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Has anybody in his close circle of normal friends thought of an intervention or something?

If you know any in real life, there is no reasoning once they're down the rabbit hole. They have an answer for everything and believe every bit of ammo the far right sites gives them. In their mind they are not on a "wrong/bad/unethical/poisoned" side.

They are correct and the main stream media followers are just too afraid to seek the truth. Honestly, this is exactly where they're at, so there's no such thing as an intervention.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:53 PM   #167
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
If you know any in real life, there is no reasoning once they're down the rabbit hole. They have an answer for everything and believe every bit of ammo the far right sites gives them. In their mind they are not on a "wrong/bad/unethical/poisoned" side.

They are correct and the main stream media followers are just too afraid to seek the truth. Honestly, this is exactly where they're at, so there's no such thing as an intervention.
If it isn’t a mental health issue (edit: for at least a portion of this group), how would you categorize it?

Helping people like this is the moral thing to do, no? Isn’t this what we’ve been talking about with men’s mental health for years? These people are preyed upon to be brainwashed for the gain of others. They deserve help, I just have absolutely no idea how to start. I don’t accept “no such thing as an intervention” to this problem without some sort of alternative solution.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 01-10-2021 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Added what I thought was an unnecessary point of clarity, to not be considered a racist apologist... Also, the sky is blue.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #168
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We could use less “they” in the world.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 02:03 PM   #169
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
If it isn’t a mental health issue, how would you categorize it?

Helping people like this is the moral thing to do, no? Isn’t this what we’ve been talking about with men’s mental health for years? These people are preyed upon to be brainwashed for the gain of others. They deserve help, I just have absolutely no idea how to start. I don’t accept “no such thing as an intervention” to this problem without some sort of alternative solution.
Can you point me to which disorders listed in the DSM cite violent, racist/fascist tendencies as symptoms?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 02:07 PM   #170
jayswin

Exp:

Sorry I should clarify, that was not meant as a put down, like "they can't be helped", perhaps I just expressed it with too much frustration.

My point of frustration is that with drug addicts, alcoholics etc, they will resist, they will avoid, they will semi-convince themselves that they're not at a problem level. But deep down they know the destructive nature and that interventions are there to help.

QAnon, far right people believe they are on one side of a political spectrum/debate and that's it. There's no "deep down I know this is wrong" for which the foundation of an intervention requires, imo.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:07 PM   #171
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Can you point me to which disorders listed in the DSM cite violent, racist/fascist tendencies as symptoms?
I think it is the gullibility, penchant to blame others for perceived wrong doings, victim complex, constant anger towards others, obsession with never accepting responsibility for ones own actions or station in life etc.

I don’t think anyone saying being a trump supporter is a mental health issue. But getting wrapped up in a fantasy world definitely could be.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 02:10 PM   #172
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
We could use less “they” in the world.

Okay, I see what you're saying and preach it myself and try to live by it, but I'm confused at your application of it towards me and that post. I was referencing one specific group of people in response to Wormious who brought up QAnon/conspriacy/far right people. The descriptor 'they' in this sense isn't any different than saying "they" in place of Flames players or police in those respective discussions.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #173
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think it is the gullibility, penchant to blame others for perceived wrong doings, victim complex, constant anger towards others, obsession with never accepting responsibility for ones own actions or station in life etc.

I don’t think anyone saying being a trump supporter is a mental health issue. But getting wrapped up in a fantasy world definitely could be.
Bolded the critical point I was trying to make with my post.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:13 PM   #174
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, I see what you're saying and preach it myself and try to live by it, but I'm confused at your application of it towards me and that post. I was referencing one specific group of people in response to Wormious who brought up QAnon/conspriacy/far right people. The descriptor 'they' in this sense isn't any different than saying "they" in place of Flames players or police in those respective discussions.
Membership within the Flames is a matter of fact, whereas ideology defined by “far right people” is quite a bit more nebulous.I understand that we all make generalizations. But using “they” over and over pretty much comes across like you aren’t accounting for any individual variation within the group you have defined. And making generalizations based on personal experience only is almost always going to be inaccurate to some extent.

I know it’s just a manner of writing and not reflective of your personal views. But when we use they too much, I just don’t think it’s productive. Even if the distinction is factual , say based on race or religion.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:35 PM   #175
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Tkaczuk was a fantastic prospect and exactly what the team needed..........a very good two-way center that was Captain material and had a huge year with Barrie. He kinda fell into their laps when the Isles took Brewer ahead of them, it was a no-brainer pick, I remember being stunned and so excited when they got him.

Just brutal luck for him and the team with his concussion issues. What could have been......

But the Flames are making that same pick 10 times out of 10. Just horrible luck, injury wise.
Yeah, it wasn't a bad pick at the time. He was a legitimate talent and looked like he was going to pan out before the concussion issues. As far as I know, there were no issues before the draft, so it's not like they drafted that risk. I certainly don't fault the Flames for picking him, and I especially have no issues with Daniel Tkaczuk. I felt terrible for the guy and am really happy that he is still working in hockey today. But as far as results go, it was still a terrible draft even if the 1st round was just bad luck.

The whole Theo Fleury thing is really disappointing to me. I had no issues with his previous statements and high opinion of himself. I figured it was his defense mechanism to help him sleep at night. But this Trump crap is just too much.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:03 PM   #176
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZKdMQ4...dium=copy_link

Fleury is making his FOX news debut tonight.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:15 PM   #177
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZKdMQ4...dium=copy_link

Fleury is making his FOX news debut tonight.
Quote:
I’ll be on Laura Ingram @foxnews tonight!!!!

Uh, that's not the win you seem to think it is.

Can Canadian Conservatives please stop going on US "news" shows and embarrassing us? Please?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 12:19 PM   #178
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Fleury and Ingram deserve each other. Couple of crackpots.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:27 PM   #179
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meanwhile Sheldon Kennedy keeps trying to make the world a better place

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...576108082.html

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 12:32 PM   #180
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

In some ways he’s such an idiot, but it feels kind of sick how conspiracy nuts have befriended him just to take advantage of his stunted emotional state and relative fame.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post: