Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Sunshine announced their plans.

https://www.skibanff.com/explore/new...-winter-season

- No cap on people per day
- face coverings for lineups and on lifts
- will be filling gondolas to 8 as usual on busy days
lol I didn't expect much from the Scurfield's but this "plan" is even less comprehensive than the government's back to school plan. It's basically just "if it will impede our business, we recommend you wear a mask and maintain distance".
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #22
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
What’s everyone's plans?

Mountain Collective for me.

Louise has replaced the iconic, platter with a HSQ. This opens up West Bowl to the masses, and facilitated a 2km ski out.. (no more bushwhacking Star Wars)

https://www.skilouise.com/things-to-...020-21-season/
Changed my mind, bought a Big3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
lol I didn't expect much from the Scurfield's but this "plan" is even less comprehensive than the government's back to school plan. It's basically just "if it will impede our business, we recommend you wear a mask and maintain distance".
Lol.

I've heard rumours of some hills, erecting tents to allow similar volumes of lunch time eaters, yet with spacing. Anyone heard similar?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:15 AM   #23
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Wow, I wasn't really planning on visiting the ski hills this year, but this makes the decision not to go to Sunshine easier. I read in one news article that Sunshine can accommodate 28,000 guests on the hill, but only 6,000 in the lodges and restaurants. Cut that number in half due to Covid and finding any room to warm up or for lunch will be next to impossible.

Love the comment about the gondolas being loaded up to 8, but to not touch anything while inside... good luck
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:24 AM   #24
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Want to take the kids out to a real mountain once or twice this season (live in prairies) they can snowboard decent after their first years (better then I could after year one, but private lessons will do that)

Mother in law lives in Calgary, what are some decent mountains we should look at? They are in awe of being able to go down a run for more then 10 minutes lol.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #25
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure I believe that 28 000 number. Maybe someone just added up a ll the lift capacity. As near as I can remember, the busiest day at Louise was about 11 000. Most busy days don't get more than 6-8000, I think. For 28 000 at Sunshine you'd need a lot of buses to the parking lot.

Ah, the Gondola moves 2,800 people per hour, I wonder if someone typo'd or multiplied. Either way, you have about 4 hours of moving people up to get to 11 200 people.

https://liftblog.com/2015/06/14/lift...llage-gondola/
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:28 AM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Want to take the kids out to a real mountain once or twice this season (live in prairies) they can snowboard decent after their first years (better then I could after year one, but private lessons will do that)

Mother in law lives in Calgary, what are some decent mountains we should look at? They are in awe of being able to go down a run for more then 10 minutes lol.
Nakiska is close and won't be as busy. I haven't heard their plans yet. You could take them up the big chair at Norquay for an incredible view, but they might have to rid the lift down!

Other than that, Louise and Sunshine. Not sure where you are, but you could also look at Marmot, thoguh would probably want to stay a few days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #27
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Nakiska is close and won't be as busy. I haven't heard their plans yet. You could take them up the big chair at Norquay for an incredible view, but they might have to rid the lift down!

Other than that, Louise and Sunshine. Not sure where you are, but you could also look at Marmot, thoguh would probably want to stay a few days.
Nakiska is awful. I wouldn't bother - do Louise.

My kids had a couple competitions at Nakiska last season and I don't even bring my gear for those. I literally rather sit in the lodge playing on my phone than farting around on that hill.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #28
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nakiska is fine if you want something close, and have never experienced a real hill, which is what he described. Yes, for us old skiers it's not great. As a kid I had plenty of good times there. It is a fun hill to go very fast at, since there is no one else around.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #29
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm not sure I believe that 28 000 number. Maybe someone just added up a ll the lift capacity. As near as I can remember, the busiest day at Louise was about 11 000. Most busy days don't get more than 6-8000, I think. For 28 000 at Sunshine you'd need a lot of buses to the parking lot.

Ah, the Gondola moves 2,800 people per hour, I wonder if someone typo'd or multiplied. Either way, you have about 4 hours of moving people up to get to 11 200 people.

https://liftblog.com/2015/06/14/lift...llage-gondola/
Quote:
“Our actual skiable terrain can accommodate up to 28,000 skiers per day, when right now our buildings and infrastructure can really only accommodate 6,000 skiers per day."
https://globalnews.ca/news/7320653/c...ls-face-masks/

Your math makes sense, I don't know how they came up with the 28,000 number, but here is the article.

Last edited by stazzy33; 09-10-2020 at 12:04 PM.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #30
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Nakiska is awful. I wouldn't bother
Interesting take. Its close with reasonable parking and some fun runs. We can get there in an hour, ski from 9:00-1:00 with reasonable lift lines, then get out when the hoards flood out of the lodge after their lunch, and be home by 2:00. Pretty fun with minimal driving. Is it a “big” hill, no, but a pretty fun outing.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:10 PM   #31
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't relive believe anything Scurfield says! I wonder if they just took the total area, went with standing capacity at 2m spacing, and that's their number. "Now everyone ski forward at the same time, no moving side to side!"
Old 09-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #32
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
Interesting take. Its close with reasonable parking and some fun runs. We can get there in an hour, ski from 9:00-1:00 with reasonable lift lines, then get out when the hoards flood out of the lodge after their lunch, and be home by 2:00. Pretty fun with minimal driving. Is it a “big” hill, no, but a pretty fun outing.
I don't know what it is. It's like the Ambein of mountains for me. I get there and I just want to curl up and go to sleep. Sort of a depressing little place with old everything. Tree runs are pitiful. Everyone looks sad. All the runs are so condensed onto the one face so it feels claustrophobic. I mean, you have chairs going over top of other chairs. They couldn't spread out a little?

I'd rather ride COP than Nakiska.

If I'm heading out to the mountains, I drive past the Nakiska turn, the Norquay turn, and go on to Louise. Usually I'll do Sunshine a couple times, but Louise is freaking awe inspiring. Sunshine is beautiful, too.

The effort of going for me is in loading up the car and in gearing up. The drives I enjoy. If I'm on the highway, what's going another hour to Louise versus Nakiska? Best-case scenario you can have an okay day at Nakiska. Best-case scenario at Sunshine or Louise you have a magically memorable day. Worst-case scenario at Nakiska is the day is so crappy you just hate everyone and everything on your way home. Worst-case scenario at Louise is you have a super fun day even if it falls short of being magical.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 01:13 PM   #33
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The effort of going for me is in loading up the car and in gearing up.
Convenience is probably 50% of my enjoyment factor. We were raised on Sunshine and Lake Louise, but that was because Dad would get us up early and into our gear so we could sleep on the drive, and get parked. I’m old and more of a casual skier now, so we don’t set alarms on the weekend. If we both wake up in time and feel like it, we know we can get parked and be on the hill by 9:00. I hear sunshine is a nightmare now if your not there really early.

Lift price is a big thing as well. The pre season passes are a great deal, so we never feel the need to count runs and maximize the money we spent. I ski till I don’t feel like it anymore and feel good about it when we leave. I think the pre season pass was $290 this year, so anything over three visits is a bonus (think we went 8 - 10 times last year).

We definitely stay up top when we’re there. Lower runs are pretty busy with learners (or just bad skiers). The upper runs stay pretty open until the afternoon, so we can just do our thing without the crowds.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 01:59 PM   #34
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

The hole in the ozone is directly over Nakiska.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 04:07 PM   #35
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
There are a lot of rumblings down at Fernie regarding covid protocols. Basically it's going to be very similar to this from what I hear.

https://www.powder.com/stories/news/...perating-plan/

The same rumblings are being talked about at Mt. Washington. I think most ski areas in British Columbia will be like what is mentioned in the link. It has been very warm on the mountain, twenty degrees at night!

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #36
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly, I've seen people crap on Nakiska but it's a very accessible hill from a distance, fun, and cost perspective.

I live on the west end of town and I'm 50 minutes door to door to a pretty awesome hill with lots of different runs.

Sure yeah, they don't get the big dumps like Sunshine or LL, but whatever, I don't want to have to drive 2 hours to go skiing. I'm a pretty laid-back, fairweather skier, so it is what it is to me. I go out about 5-8 times per year total between all of the hills, and Nakiska is about 60% of my hills visits.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:54 PM   #37
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Where is Fortress at in their Phase 1 redevelopment?

https://www.skifortress.com/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #38
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Where is Fortress at in their Phase 1 redevelopment?

https://www.skifortress.com/
https://www.dropbox.com/s/suhynduou3...0copy.pdf?dl=0

Skip to the meat, the master plan.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 09-10-2020 at 07:26 PM.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:28 PM   #39
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know what it is. It's like the Ambein of mountains for me. I get there and I just want to curl up and go to sleep. Sort of a depressing little place with old everything. Tree runs are pitiful. Everyone looks sad. All the runs are so condensed onto the one face so it feels claustrophobic. I mean, you have chairs going over top of other chairs. They couldn't spread out a little?

If I'm heading out to the mountains, I drive past the Nakiska turn, the Norquay turn, and go on to Louise. Usually I'll do Sunshine a couple times, but Louise is freaking awe inspiring. Sunshine is beautiful, too.

The effort of going for me is in loading up the car and in gearing up. The drives I enjoy. If I'm on the highway, what's going another hour to Louise versus Nakiska? Best-case scenario you can have an okay day at Nakiska. Best-case scenario at Sunshine or Louise you have a magically memorable day. Worst-case scenario at Nakiska is the day is so crappy you just hate everyone and everything on your way home. Worst-case scenario at Louise is you have a super fun day even if it falls short of being magical.
Calm the fukc down, ain't nobody got time for that.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:20 PM   #40
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:

Well crap I want to ride LL now. I want magical!
stang is offline   Reply With Quote