Yes.
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #202
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
I'll be that guy. A Star Is Born will receive a lot of Oscar nominations and easily be the front-runner for the new Popular Film award, but I would't go as far as calling it a masterpiece.

I recently discovered Kanopy. It is a video streaming service with classic and indie films. It is free if you have a Calgary Public Library card.
thanks for the tip on Kanopy, not the be all end all of streaming services but something available for free is always a good thing.

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #203
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

double post

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #204
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another vote for A Star is Born. I went into it with low expectations and really liked it. Acting is great and the soundtrack is phenomenal.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #205
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally watched Eighth Grade and I got to say what a tremendous movie. The movie won't be everyone's taste but if you liked movies like Florida Project, Edge of 17 or Ladybird then this is a must watch for you.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #206
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched 'Annihilation' of the flight back from London, enjoyed the hell out of it, I will add the proviso its hard to judge a movie based on viewing it on a 4 inch screen but it's on Netflix and I would recommend it
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #207
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I finally watched Eighth Grade and I got to say what a tremendous movie. The movie won't be everyone's taste but if you liked movies like Florida Project, Edge of 17 or Ladybird then this is a must watch for you.
I recently watched Nobody Knows by Hirokazu Koreeda and The 400 Blows by Truffaut. I recommend these 2 if you liked The Florida Project.
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sl888 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #208
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only watched the trailer for a A Star is Born, and I never really understood the appeal of Lady Gaga, but she looks beautiful in the film.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #209
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
I recently watched Nobody Knows by Hirokazu Koreeda and The 400 Blows by Truffaut. I recommend these 2 if you liked The Florida Project.
Thanks for the recommendation I'll check em out!

I watched Marrowbone and I was blown away. Tremendous film filled with great scares, and so much heart. I don't remember the last time a film has brought me to tears and also caused me so much fright. It's going to end up in my top 10 horror films this year and probably top 5.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:17 PM   #210
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Watched 'Annihilation' of the flight back from London, enjoyed the hell out of it, I will add the proviso its hard to judge a movie based on viewing it on a 4 inch screen but it's on Netflix and I would recommend it

I gave this one a rare second viewing on Netflix, and still think it's a fantastic movie. It benefits from the big screen and surround sound, but the plot stands up without the effects too.

Saw Venom tonight and thought it was a good bad movie. Much funnier than I expected, and a total popcorn flick. I can see why comic book nerds wouldn't like it, and people whose job it is to actually dissect plots, but for the average bum with a couple of beers in the system, it's an entertaining ride.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #211
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

First Man is incredible. The way it shoots the flying scenes focused on the insides of the craft is jarring. It feels claustrophobic, loud and scary. The acting is excellent and the supporting cast feels like they came straight out of the 60’s.

Just a superb job of creating a sense of time and place for the movie. Well worth seeing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #212
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I watched A Star Is born today, and it floored me. Both Cooper and Gaga are authentic and believable from frame one, and Sam Elliott gives probably his best performance ever. The music is unbelievable, and I'm sure people will be talking about the soundtrack for quite a while. Even though this is technically a remake, it feels fresh, real, and heartbreaking. This is an absolute masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. Bring tissues.

10/10

I always hate giving this strong of a review because I expect at least a few people to come back next week and say "Meh, it wasn't that good. I was expecting more based on your review." Still, I stand by it.

you know what's hotter than Bradley Cooper? Bradley Cooper speaking french

puts our Canadian grade 7 french to shame!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:45 PM   #213
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anybody see The Sisters Brothers when it was showing at the CIFF?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:57 PM   #214
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here are some drive-by comments about movies I've seen recently:

Three Identical Strangers - Weird, I lived through the 80s and knew nothing about this amazing story. These reunion stories are pretty normal these days but these guys somehow found one another before social media and the boom of DNA testing sites. Even if you know this story, it is worth watching just to learn what's happened to these men decades after they enjoyed their 15 minutes of fame.

Jurrassic World: Fallen Kingdom - Pretty much the embodiment of a popcorn movie. Dumb and entertaining. That scene where the brachiosaurus is stuck on the island engulfed by flames and lava while the boat pulls away from shore -- My wife was choking back the tears while I started laughing because I was half-expecting Chris Pratt to shoot the Brachiosaurus to put him out of his misery like that scene in The Wild Geese. So ridiculous.

Crazy Rich Asians - Disappointing. I really expected a totally different movie. Somehow, I thought the title was Crazy, Rich Asians, not Crazy Rich Asians. The film was wholly conventional and totally sappy.

Support the Girls - Easily my favorite Andrew Bujalski film since Mutual Appreciation. I visited Columbus, Indiana this past summer because of the film Columbus starring Haley Lu Richardson. After watching Support the Girls, also starring Richardson, I now really want to go have a meal at Hooters (I've never been) just to witness myself whether or not there is such warmth and friendliness and camaraderie in these establishments. Richardson should really be a much bigger star.

BlacKkKlansman - Pretty great film and probably Spike Lee's best since Inside Man, maybe even since 25th Hour. I thought the movie played to the cheap seats a bit too much, and I also did not believe the premise.
Spoiler!

Death of Stalin - Pitch black comedy. Not for everyone. Reminds me when after watching a handful of episodes of the TV series Succession, I had loved it so much that I got my wife to watch it as well. She detested the show. She didn't see the point of watching amoral greedy a-holes lying and backstabbing each other so they can become even more filthy rich. This was what I was thinking about while watching Death of Stalin. Funny stuff but everybody is so amoral and detestable. There was one scene in Death of Stalin that satirized the excellent execution scene in The Pianist in which a dozen or so Jewish men were lined up and a Nazi officer casually goes down the line and puts a bullet in each victim's head until he reaches the last person in line and he runs out of bullets. The Jewish man shows a glimpse of relief but the Nazi officer casually replaces the clip in his gun and shoots the man in the head. In the Death of Stalin version, a Russian officer was putting bullets in the heads of "counter-revolutionaries" lined up in a row when another officer comes running into the scene announcing all executions were cancelled. The prisoners thought they were saved but while the two officers are arguing the semantics of the order, he keeps shooting these prisoners one by one in the head. The scene is played for laughs and I thought it was very funny but I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't.

Bad Times at the El Royale - A blatant albeit entertaining Tarantino rip-off. I've seem so many Tarantino rip-offs that I was pretty much immune to all its twists and turns and flashbacks and changes in perspective. My wife who has never seen any Tarantino movies thought the movie was great. She absolutely loved it and told all her friends to watch it. I told her if she loved it so much, she should let me show her Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction but she's not interested after I made her watch Succession.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #215
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post

Death of Stalin - Pitch black comedy. Not for everyone. Reminds me when after watching a handful of episodes of the TV series Succession, I had loved it so much that I got my wife to watch it as well. She detested the show. She didn't see the point of watching amoral greedy a-holes lying and backstabbing each other so they can become even more filthy rich. This was what I was thinking about while watching Death of Stalin. Funny stuff but everybody is so amoral and detestable. There was one scene in Death of Stalin that satirized the excellent execution scene in The Pianist in which a dozen or so Jewish men were lined up and a Nazi officer casually goes down the line and puts a bullet in each victim's head until he reaches the last person in line and he runs out of bullets. The Jewish man shows a glimpse of relief but the Nazi officer casually replaces the clip in his gun and shoots the man in the head. In the Death of Stalin version, a Russian officer was putting bullets in the heads of "counter-revolutionaries" lined up in a row when another officer comes running into the scene announcing all executions were cancelled. The prisoners thought they were saved but while the two officers are arguing the semantics of the order, he keeps shooting these prisoners one by one in the head. The scene is played for laughs and I thought it was very funny but I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't.
I had pretty much the same reaction. It's funny, and there are big laugh moments along with the great satire, and yet, you find yourself cringing with every laugh. As with you, my wife did not find it funny, and normally she likes satire, but it's just such an example of gallows humor that it's hard for some to appreciate it. Myself, I thought it was brilliant.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #216
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I had pretty much the same reaction. It's funny, and there are big laugh moments along with the great satire, and yet, you find yourself cringing with every laugh. As with you, my wife did not find it funny, and normally she likes satire, but it's just such an example of gallows humor that it's hard for some to appreciate it. Myself, I thought it was brilliant.
The TV show the writer of Death of Stalin cut his teeth on, warning NSFW or home, or anywhere else, its a 'lock yourself in the toilet with an Ipad' level of bad in Canada, in the UK it went on at 9pm on national TV!!

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 07:54 PM   #217
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Loooong video,. goes into a lot of detail about historical accuracy of the film. TLDW: the film takes a number of historical liberties in the story, but a lot was real and the inaccurate stuff was used to represent other events in Stalin's Russia, events that happened over months were condensed and made to happen in a single day. The film makers believe they were accurately representing that era of Russian history

Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #218
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw the new Halloween today and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's better than most of the previous sequels and remakes in terms of quality, and Jamie Lee Curtis does an excellent job reprising the role that made her famous. Grandma Laurie Strode is a badass!

The kills are pretty grisly, and there's a solid amount of gore to satisfy most horror geeks. I wouldn't say it's all that scary, but there are some decent suspenseful moments. All in all, I'd say it's a worthy addition to the franchise and a satisfying sequel to the original.

It also hits all the right nostalgia buttons with Carpenter updating his own original score, and they also use the exact same orange colored font against the black backdrop (and pumpkin) for the main titles, 1978-style:

direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #219
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The new Halloween movie is a quantum leap forward in terms of quality from any of the sequels made in the last 30 odd years. I'm happy to say that it's the best Halloween sequel. I happen to enjoy the first 3 movies (Season of the Witch is massively underrated imo) and the fourth is a bit of a guilty pleasure. The rest are mostly forgettable or complete garbage.

The quality of the films that John Carpenter wasn't involved with are pretty lousy(he reluctantly wrote part 2 just for the money and left as a producer after Season of the Witch flopped). Ever shrinking budgets, rushed and hacked together scripts, terribly ####ty looking masks, ridiculous storylines, etc.

Carpenter returns as producer and provides the synthy score, which is music to my ears (though not AS good as the original; they didn't use "Laurie's Theme" in this one which is a personal fave).

This movie brings the franchise back to respectability, and dare I say will rejuvenate it completely, at least for one more go around hopefully. There will be a big appetite for a sequel, and if they can bring back the team from this one then mark me down as excited.

Michael Myers is "The Shape" again in this one. James Jude Courtney totally kills (pun intended) as Myers. His essence from the 78 classic is once again captured. The stalking. The breathing. Hiding, barely visible in distant shadows. The look of the mask. They nailed it all completely. There are shots in this movie that fans of the original will just salivate over.

It's a good movie, though it's not perfect. There was a part in the movie that lost me for a bit (everyone will know which part I'm talking about) but when it focuses on Laurie Strode it's fantastic.

Jamie Lee Curtis gives an amazing performance in this. You actually feel for her character a lot. It's pretty funny here and there too, with a script co-written by Danny McBride.

It's slaughtering at the box office this weekend, and I think it will keep it's legs next too, being the weekend before Halloween and given the strong word of mouth. Go see it people.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #220
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post

Michael Myers is "The Shape" again in this one. James Jude Courtney totally kills (pun intended) as Myers. His essence from the 78 classic is once again captured. The stalking. The breathing. Hiding, barely visible in distant shadows. The look of the mask. They nailed it all completely. There are shots in this movie that fans of the original will just salivate over.
Yup. I noticed a few Carpenter-esque POV camera shots, which completely transported me back to the original. And I agree, the actor playing Micheal absolutely nailed the movements and the character's unnerving presence from the '78 version. And the mask was perfect in this one.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote