Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-30-2020, 09:51 AM   #41
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been a chronic sufferer of migraines and brutal headaches for the past 15-20 years. Tried literally everything for relief.

This past January I started minimizing my sugar and bread intake and they dropped by 90%. My Neurologist was shocked. It was just sheer fluke, as I just wanted to eat a little healthier and there was a direct impact to my migraines.

I went from having blinding eye bursting migraines twice a week during 2019, down to maybe 3 or 4 during 2020.

I still get regular "human" sized headaches from time to time, but I can manage those. As they fail in comparison to the ones I was dealing with.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2020, 11:40 AM   #42
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to get them with far too much regularity. Now I seem to only get a few a year, and I've bumped most headaches down to just a bad regular type headache. My "regular" headaches very much correlate with the weather & spring/fall. There is something that buds out each year that I'm allergic to, that causes a migraine. I just can't be bothered to see an allergist to find out what it is - I know of 1 thing that I react to with headaches & that's canola once it's in full bloom, but there is something else in the spring. In the autumn, I think it's the uptick in mould from the leaves once they start falling & are sitting around mouldering. I have a couple of known food/drink triggers, but I stay away from them, so I haven't had a food/drink triggered migraine in years. I also am a "woman of a certain age" and so the drop off in migraines may also be attributed to a lack of hormones that used to cause problems.

One thing you can try, is vitamin B2. We only found out it's used for migraines during the past few months while our geneticist is working toward a final diagnosis for our daughter. Due to the metabolic disorder they're leaning toward, her levels of certain vitamins that would normally be produced and passed along, are very low almost to the point of being non-existent. Vitamin B2 was one of them.

During that discussion & a subsequent discussion with a GI doc, they told us, offhand, that a lot of people see a decrease in migraines by starting on B2. I got some for my son to take, as he has had migraines since he was 5. He feels it's helping. The frequency & severity have really dropped off since he started the B2.

I also got everyone a Contigo water bottle and everyone has increased their daily hydration with those. If I start to feel even the mildest bit under the weather, I increase my daily water intake, because my body likes to dehydrate super quick when I feel even a bit ill. If I'm lucky and time it just right, I can fend off the bad headaches by drinking a mug of strong coffee along with taking 2 advil liquijels. Those are the things that have worked for me/us, YMMV.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:07 PM   #43
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had an ER doc suggest that I start taking magnesium when I landed there with a killer migraine. Since I've started taking it daily, I will sometimes get a pressure headache, but not migraines anymore.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #44
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster View Post
I had an ER doc suggest that I start taking magnesium when I landed there with a killer migraine. Since I've started taking it daily, I will sometimes get a pressure headache, but not migraines anymore.

Magnesium helps me too. Deep breathing has helped me a lot as well.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #45
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have changed a lot of what I take since I last posted in here. Like a previous poster said, I started trying to not take as much painkillers (this has been hard as I've gone through a MPFL surgery since this thought process).

Am only on Topirimate and Botox now and Zomig (triptan) when I feel one coming on. I did try Aimovig but the trial ended and insurance hasnt picked it up and I haven't noticed too much of a difference without it. I have recently played around with muscle relaxants as the muscle in the back of my neck gets so tight and I've noticed the muscle relaxants help that and then reduce the severity of my migraine.

My migraines are definitely triggered my weather. Stress too and I noticed a huge decrease in headaches/migraines once I started working from home in March and not working in a toxic work environment.
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:10 AM   #46
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maxalt, Botox, and Tylenol is the holy trinity for me

Botox seems a bit operator-dependent so to speak. I have a physiatrist and a neurologist doing it, and the physiatrist seemed to do a better job at hitting the right spots, but a neurologist took over and is staggaring botox with occipital blocks (or something, they only work for about 6-12? hours, and I think we're ceasing the occipital treatment)

Migraines really suck. I don't recall ever having one before...all this, and I don't think I appreciated the suffering people went through with a migraine - I was just like 'oh, get over it. it's a headache'

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 01-02-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote