Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-15-2016, 10:45 PM   #201
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Red Dwarf is awesome. Gotta like British humour though.

Yeah, the British humour invasion was interesting. I indeed found shows like Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Black Adder funny. It should be noted that, it was an interesting time in TV when you were kind of trapped with the 3 big networks and not much else, so anything quirky, irreverent, or a little subversive from the BBC was pretty cool. But, anyway, sitting around reading quotes from Kryten questioning the application of various space corps directives and such brought back warm feelings.

Quote:
RIMMER: 'I don't know what it is you think you're doing, but boarding this vessel is an act of war, ergo, we surrender...and as prisoners of war, I'm invoking All-Nations Agreement Article 39436175880932/B.'

KRYTEN: '39436175880932/B. "All nations attending the conference are only allocated one parking space." Is that entirely relevant sir? I mean, here we are, in mortal danger and you're worried about the Chinese delegates bringing two cars.

RIMMER: 'Can't you let just one go, I was talking about the right of POWs to non-violent constraint.'

KRYTEN: 'But that's 39436175880932/C, sir.'
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Fuzz, V
Old 08-15-2016, 10:58 PM   #202
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

It's a white hole, sir.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #203
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

can I hijack this thread a bit for some 'post your favorite Trek moments'?

Avery Brooks and Andrew Robinson are terrific together - In the Pale Moonlight is so good you could show it to someone who's never seen a second of Star Trek and it would still hold their attention.

I've seen this scene more times than I can count. James Horner is terrific. Ignore the goofy costumes; it's the future, you don't know they won't all dress like that. Perfectly encapsulates the relationship between Kirk, his crew, and his ship.

They don't make movies anymore that allow for 6 minute scenes to showcase the visuals and the composer. Jerry Goldsmith's finest hour, and he has many of them. Yes, TMP is slow and more than a little boring. But this makes up for it.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #204
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Red Dwarf is awesome. Gotta like British humour though.
A new season, Season XI, begins airing on Dave TV in September. Season XII has been filmed and will air sometime in 2017.

Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bane For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #205
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That last scene from TMP I loved it, because it was almost so drawn out and showed the love for the ship.

Pale Moonlight is the best episode from any Trek series ainec

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #206
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was just wondering this morning what the Klingons are going to look like in this series. Are they just going to be the black guys with crazy eyebrows like TOS? If I recall, Enterprise showed how they messed with the genetics to be Khan-like and that's why they looked that way in TOS. So if this is post Enterprise and pre-TOS, they should not have the huge bumpy foreheads.
pseudoreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #207
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I liked the original klingons better, they were jerks and thugs and pretty much pirate like, they weren't consumed with honor and glory as much as they were consumed with getting drunk, picking bar fights and wearing fancy leather pants.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #208
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I was just wondering this morning what the Klingons are going to look like in this series. Are they just going to be the black guys with crazy eyebrows like TOS? If I recall, Enterprise showed how they messed with the genetics to be Khan-like and that's why they looked that way in TOS. So if this is post Enterprise and pre-TOS, they should not have the huge bumpy foreheads.
Except in the pilot episode of Enterprise they return a Klingon to Kronos and he has the bumpy forehead.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #209
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Except in the pilot episode of Enterprise they return a Klingon to Kronos and he has the bumpy forehead.
The old Star Trek RPG explained it by saying along the borders with the Federation and Romulans, the Klingons created human-klingon fusions and romulan-klingon fusions to disguise their true, bumpy headed, appearance.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #210
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, that was the pilot. During the series they did the genetic manipulation that had the side effect of loosing the bumps.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #211
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, at the start of Enterprise the Klingons had a bumpy forehead. However later on Enterprise had a couple of episodes dedicated to telling the story of how the Klingons ended up with a more human type of forehead they had in TOS.

Spoiler-ed in case anyone ends up watching Enterprise.
Spoiler!

But who knows... the Klingons that were in Star Trek Into Darkness looked completely different than any of the Klingons that were previously shown in any Star Trek franchise.

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-22-2016 at 03:32 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #212
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh wow. So they actually had to explain away a limitation of makeup from when the TOS was filmed? Couldn't they just make them look like the new version, and pretend that's how they looked in TOS? Did they really need to do this?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #213
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Oh wow. So they actually had to explain away a limitation of makeup from when the TOS was filmed? Couldn't they just make them look like the new version, and pretend that's how they looked in TOS? Did they really need to do this?
I agree entirely, even though you've only asked questions.

They should just acknowledge things will change and go with it. Its not like in 2250 the interior of the Enterprise will look like it was influenced by 1960's design standards or technology. They can "pretend" and make the Enterprise look futuristic according to our current standards without having to explain it away from the 1960's version.

In an episode of TNG, they have Scottie holodeck the original Enterprise. Made for good nostalgia, nothing more.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2016, 09:31 PM   #214
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It's because Star Trek takes itself too seriously and has to have a scientific explanation for everything. They did briefly let it go as a joke following a DS9 episode where they did a Forrest Gump effect thing with TOS. Everyone was wondering why the Klingons looked so different and Worf just grumpily said they didn't talk about it with outsiders. I thought that was funny and a good way to leave it, but no, Enterprise had to come up with some technobabble explanation.

They did a similar thing with a TNG episode with an intelligent design/Chariot of the Gods explanation that some humanoid alien species seeded life in the Universe and that's why every alien is basically just a human with different ears or foreheads. The truth is they didn't have the time/money/creativity to come up with cool aliens.

I had a very love/hate relationship with Star Trek. When I was really little I thought it was cool that Spock had green blood and the whole idea of him being an alien. Then when TNG came out I loved the idea of being able to zoom all around to different planets and such, but was frustrated as when they went "Where no one had gone before" they just ran into human-like people with human-like problems that the perfect Federation (aka Americans) solved.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:46 AM   #215
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Been delayed until May 2017

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-...-date-may-2017
Old 11-24-2016, 11:19 AM   #216
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Anyone getting a feeling this might just be a boondoogle?

It was supposed to be released in January 2017 (now delayed to May 2017) and there haven't been any confirmation or rumors about the cast except for one.

I believe the only rumor out there is Michelle Yeoh is part of the cast.

There really hasn't been anything put out by the production team that suggests quality or even any actual footage leaked or teased!

I am pessimistic that this show will actually make it on air.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #217
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Anyone getting a feeling this might just be a boondoogle?

It was supposed to be released in January 2017 (now delayed to May 2017) and there haven't been any confirmation or rumors about the cast except for one.

I believe the only rumor out there is Michelle Yeoh is part of the cast.

There really hasn't been anything put out by the production team that suggests quality or even any actual footage leaked or teased!

I am pessimistic that this show will actually make it on air.
Yep, I'm starting to get that feeling too. No cast, no news, no nothing and the show is supposed to be out in 6 months. They've had ample opportunity as well with all the conventions and 50th anniversary stuff going on.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #218
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't lose hope yet!

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/29...overy-cast-gay

Quote:
Star Trek: Discovery is starting to fill its decks.

CBS Access is now confirming Michelle Yeoh will join the show, which has also cast two more actors to star in the eagerly anticipated series. One of the new characters will be the decades-old franchise’s first to be originally conceived and announced as gay.

First up: Actor Doug Jones (Hellboy, Falling Skies) will play Lt. Saru, a Starfleet Science Officer and a new alien species to the Star Trek universe.

Second, Anthony Rapp (Rent, Road Trip) will star as Lt. Stamets, an “astromycologist,” fungus expert, and Starfleet Science Officer aboard the Starship Discovery. Lt. Stamets is the new gay character

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #219
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
How does EW not list Dazed and Confused when mentioning Anthony Rapp?

Fun fact: Rapp is friends with comedian Jimmy Pardo who is married to Daniel Koenig who is Walter Koenig's (Chekov) daughter.

Last edited by Barnes; 11-29-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #220
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This has all the earmarks of a spectacular boondoggle.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote