Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #361
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I'm not registered though. I was just in the process of starting to study, my branch manager was mentoring me, then the entire company went under an internal restructuring, and they went a different direction with branch management, and my mentor left. So...on that front, I would not necessarily be anyone's cup of tea. I have never had formal training in anything, but I love learning new things, and I am typically a very quick study.

I don't know why I like paperwork/paper pushing so much. Maybe it's the order, the organization, seeing a job through, getting things done. One of my favorite things when we brought new teams on, was setting up their offices, ordering their supplies - LOL, I am an office supplies nerd. My favorite part of back to school was getting new pens/pencils, paper, binders, etc.

Anyway, I'll stop droning on.
I know you are not registered. If you had started get reading the book. If not, it is a cheap investment in yourself. You have a year to write the test. There are lots of courses out there to help. You are older, organized, love paperwork, your kids are grown. Golden hire. Hell, you could get a job with a good, meaning busy, advisor without being registered to just be the paper wrangler. Free their AA to work on bringing in work. Don't underestimate yourself. Take agency. What have you got to lose? I just don't want to read a post in a year about regrets about not trying!
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #362
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
I know you are not registered. If you had started get reading the book. If not, it is a cheap investment in yourself. You have a year to write the test. There are lots of courses out there to help. You are older, organized, love paperwork, your kids are grown. Golden hire. Hell, you could get a job with a good, meaning busy, advisor without being registered to just be the paper wrangler. Free their AA to work on bringing in work. Don't underestimate yourself. Take agency. What have you got to lose? I just don't want to read a post in a year about regrets about not trying!
I guess I'll chime in that I read her post yesterday and sent a PM as soon as I did!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #363
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Five years later, I would say that I wish I had not grown the thing as far as I did. We were much happier when it was just the 2 of us, plus one or two employees. Employees are a PIA, and the stress associated with certain amount of size is not worth the extra income. There was that sweet spot when we were effectively working from home, yet still making plenty of money...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #364
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

I work in a conflict filled environment with many negative aspects but I still enjoy my job overall. I’m a Mountie, been doing it for almost 18 years now. Got to travel and work all over the country, met some amazing people and seen some horrific things. There are many frustrating aspects such as a perceived lack of support from the public (I say perceived because I’m well aware my views are coloured by media and negative interactions with a small percentage of the public, I continuously remind myself of this), management, courts and government. With that said, my “faith bank” for lack of a better term, is filled up when a car pulls up next to me and some kid rolls his window down to wave and say hi, or I’ll get stopped while doing foot patrol and joe public will say “thanks for doing what you do”. Little things like that remind me that the silent majority still thinks I’m ok and helps remind me why I took on this career.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 11:21 AM   #365
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've never replied to this so I guess I will now.

No.

Its a toxic environment, from the chief down.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:59 AM   #366
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
I still have the book. My branch manager printed it out for me - I imagine its outdated at this point. I'll have a look around, see what I can find where. Thank you for the kind words and encouragement, Titan, it is much appreciated.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:16 PM   #367
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Another dissatisfied, miserable lawyer here. Just tired of the constant stress (my practice is mostly litigation) and lack of reward (either financial [I know way too many car salesman who make more money than I do] or otherwise). It's just exhausting being responsible for other people's problems every single day.

I've been fantasizing about an escape for over a year now but I keep telling myself to stick it out a little longer (because I loved law school so much). Anyway, just started a new position that I think may be promising, so I at least have some hope at the moment.
Checking in five years later. Yup, law is still soul-crushing. I'm still in the "new position" referenced above (in house, public side). All things considered, its been a pretty good place to land (hey, at least it isn't private practice). But I still lie awake with guilt and anxiety a lot of nights. I have a young family now (and a pension I'm contributing to), so it would be even harder to leave the profession now.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #368
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Checking in five years later. Yup, law is still soul-crushing. I'm still in the "new position" referenced above (in house, public side). All things considered, its been a pretty good place to land (hey, at least it isn't private practice). But I still lie awake with guilt and anxiety a lot of nights. I have a young family now (and a pension I'm contributing to), so it would be even harder to leave the profession now.
I think a lot of people have careers that include lengths of where you're at... you're good at what you do, you're making decent $$ and contributing, but it's still "just a job" and sometimes the stress doesn't seem worth it. Try to flip that around in 2 ways... 1) Look at what your work does for you and your family in terms of providing. I'm sure there are also lots of decent people you encounter that really appreciate your efforts, results, engagement, mentorship, leadership, etc.... 2) Accept this is your job, and do what you can WHEN you're at work. Leave work at work. Find a way to de-stress on your way home each day so you don't need a "cool off period" of hours when you get home.

Also... see if you can find some better aspects to focus on. Accept the crap and choose not to have a bad attitude, but really dive into the good parts. Or work to take on more of the good parts and less of the crap.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote