Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2014, 01:26 AM   #201
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's an interesting piece on mainstream movies Ebert didn't like, and I agree with almost all of his picks. For those on here who are obsessed with Fight Club his list is probably not for you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3017550.html

The only review of his I entirely disagree with is Leon, but I can understand why some it would be a turnoff for some people.

Last edited by trackercowe; 02-15-2014 at 01:30 AM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #202
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Most Michael Fassbender movies though I like his characters in them. The worst has to be The Counsellor. I need happy endings. That was not

I kind of wanted to see that. Is it really that bad? I've heard some pretty terrible things.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #203
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
I kind of wanted to see that. Is it really that bad? I've heard some pretty terrible things.
It's just to nuanced for me. The plot isn't obvious until way into the movie unless you pick things up.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #204
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rebel Without a Cause. Holy hell is that movie terrible. How can people think that Dean was such an amazing actor?
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #205
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas did nothing for me.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #206
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Titanic. What a barf-fest that was.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #207
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
The Counselor is that bad. Bad bad bad. Outside of what I thought was poor (Writting, plot, pace) the only redeeming qualities were Penelope Cruz (looking damn fine for her age) and SOME of Javier Bardiems acting.

I didn't Fassbender was good at all in this film.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #208
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

The Counselor is the worst movie I have seen in the last decade for sure.

Horrible movie, story line was crap, the long poems the people read were even worse. And this is coming from the co president of the I <3 Fassbender club.

FYI I Came into this thread JUST to go out of my way and bash this movie, I was happy to find that others agree and the bashing had already started. That is how bad it is.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #209
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once I realized the movie sucked I was hoping we'd at least get a naked Penelope Cruz, but alas I walked away disappointed. What a shame.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #210
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never been a fan of Tarantino

A lot of the 'heavy dramas' (like There will be blood, etc) I find too tedious to get through.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #211
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Here's an interesting piece on mainstream movies Ebert didn't like, and I agree with almost all of his picks. For those on here who are obsessed with Fight Club his list is probably not for you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3017550.html

The only review of his I entirely disagree with is Leon, but I can understand why some it would be a turnoff for some people.
I respect Ebert a great deal, and he truly was an amazing writer and critic, but he's not always right. Just thought I would give my thoughts on the films he mentions.

1) Clockwork Orange: I kinda agree with his thoughts, but the story really is an anti-hero story celebrating this deranged character while trying to pass the buck onto societal ills. The fact is he's a psychopath and the audience never loses sight of that, but the characters in the story do. I think in the end that's the point.

2) Donnie Darko: I don't consider this an amazing film, but definitely worthy of its cult status. If nothing else, a very intriguing film that has problems, but makes you talk about it endlessly afterwards. Isn't that what art is supposed to do?

3) Dead Poet's Society: Schlock. Totally agree with the assessment. Still enjoyed it a great deal. Moving on…

4) Fight Club: I could write essays on that film, but to keep it brief I think Ebert was turned off by it early on and completely missed the point. It's a movie that hits you over the head with dumb base events to tell a greater story and a very nuanced point. Much more intelligent than he's giving it credit for.

5) Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas: insane psychedelic filmmaker makes insane psychedelic film of an insane psychedelic story from insane psychedelic writer. Did anyone think it would be anything other than what they saw? I personally enjoyed it, but mostly for the performances and the sheer loopy fun of the events. It also makes me very uncomfortable, and I like that.

6) Reservoir Dogs: Fair criticism, and Tarantino has made better films since. It is obviously a study in direction style and writing dialogue more than it is a truly great film. Still cool as hell though.

7) Full Metal Jacket: My least favorite Kubrick movie other than Eyes Wide Shut. Felt like a string of short stories lumped together with no rhyme or reason to the events or growth from the characters throughout the war. Maybe that was the point? Not sure.

8) Straw Dogs: Hated this movie and hate the director. Not sure why he was revered.

9) Blue Velvet: another "cool" film that isn't as good as people think it is. Weird and cool sex stuff doesn't fix plot holes and underdeveloped characters (see: Cronenberg's Crash).

10) Fast Times at Ridgemont High: Unless you were a teenager at the time, you just shouldn't like this movie. It's bad…really bad.

11) Harold and Maude: I don't know what Ebert was smoking before writing that. That film is not overly stylized and is quite realistic looking. There's a lot of brilliant writing and acting in that film, and a story that, while is quite sweet, is also very intelligent and not condescending. That is a good movie, I don't care what Ebert says about it.

12) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: That is a classic, in every way. I can't imagine the problem he had with it. Not quite as good as The Sting (another George Roy Hill film with those 2 leads), but still a good if not great movie.

13) Leon: The Professional: I don't agree with his assessment. I think they deal with her youth on a very real level, but not really until the end. She's trying to be grown up the entire time, and Leon allows it reluctantly, but in the end she's a scared girl with no one to trust or rely on and it becomes evident at the boarding house.

All in all, Ebert got it right way more often than he got it wrong, but it's tough being a critic. I wouldn't want the job. Even if he didn't get a few films right, it doesn't mean I don't respect him, or that he's right about those reviews.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #212
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Ebert gave one star to Fast Times at Ridgemont High. He is dead to me.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:42 PM   #213
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Ebert gave one star to Fast Times at Ridgemont High. He is dead to me.
He's dead to everyone.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2014, 11:30 PM   #214
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
I respect Ebert a great deal, and he truly was an amazing writer and critic, but he's not always right. Just thought I would give my thoughts on the films he mentions.

1) Clockwork Orange: I kinda agree with his thoughts, but the story really is an anti-hero story celebrating this deranged character while trying to pass the buck onto societal ills. The fact is he's a psychopath and the audience never loses sight of that, but the characters in the story do. I think in the end that's the point.
I didnt like clockwork orange as a movie. I never developed sympathy for the charactor. In the book its uses russian slang for the acts of violence which sanitizes his actions. Since you dont understand the meaning of all the slang until well into the book you feel sorry for him. In the movie you are faced with the harsh reality that the hero is a murderer, pedophile, and rapist. So as a movie I dont think it works. Kubrick does as good of job as he can but I dont think its able to make the point of the book because he cant generate sympathy for the anti hero.

I really like full metal jacket and I think what you found as little disjointed stories was the point.

Being drafted was being ripped out of society into boot camp. Boot Camp destroys you until you become family and then you are ripped out into war. Then everyone dies and you are left to cope. I see the movie as a destruction of people regardless of if they are killed in war or not.

Last edited by GGG; 02-15-2014 at 11:40 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #215
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
He's dead to everyone.
I'm glad I'm not alone on this!

Last edited by icecube; 02-16-2014 at 06:40 AM.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #216
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I'm glad I'm not alone on this!
Ok now I'm confused.

icecube, you do know that Ebert passed away last year right?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote