Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #41
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Everything about the Wailea/Makena area is perfect.

Except that there's no public road connecting Makena to the Piilani highway. Only Oprah gets to use it...everyone else has to go upcountry and backtrack to hwy 31
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #42
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Wailea I'd also like to give a big vote for the Fairmont Kea Lani. Sharing Polo beach with just the Polo Beach club condos it definitely doesn't get as crowded as the other Wailea resort beaches. Plus the Kea Lani has less rooms than the other resorts, leading to a much less crowded experience. All the rooms are suites if I recall correctly.

Oh and if you have megabux you can stay in the oceanfront villas, complete with your own hot tub, kitchen, in-suite laundry, etc. Those units are incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John
Everything about the Wailea/Makena area is perfect.

Except that there's no public road connecting Makena to the Piilani highway. Only Oprah gets to use it...everyone else has to go upcountry and backtrack to hwy 31
Here here! It would be great to have that connection made public, the south side of the island is just so rugged and beautiful. We did the drive all the way around coming from Hana and I loved it. Also make a point of visiting the grave of Charles Lindbergh in Kipahulu if you are down in that area.

Last edited by Bigtime; 04-06-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #43
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone stayed at this resort before?

Kahana Villa Vacation Club 4242 Lower Honoapiilani Highway Lahaina, HI 967618969

I got it as a trade from my timeshare and I'm not sure if I should take it. Thanks.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #44
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

Here here! It would be great to have that connection made public, the south side of the island is just so rugged and beautiful.
edit: going to get in trouble for telling people how to find the road
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Last edited by Red John; 04-06-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #45
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Anyone stayed at this resort before?

Kahana Villa Vacation Club 4242 Lower Honoapiilani Highway Lahaina, HI 967618969

I got it as a trade from my timeshare and I'm not sure if I should take it. Thanks.
We stayed across the street. It's not right on the beach, but you just walk across the street if you need the beach. The rocks on the beach just to the south are home to about 20 turtles that just float around and eat seaweed off the rocks. I talked to a guy that does 2 weeks in the Villas and then does 2 weeks in the building that we were in to take in the views. He said that they do all their activities on the island during those 2 weeks because there's not really a good view of the ocean from his place. (this might be different with the unit you get).
I liked the are because it had snorkeling, groceries (with liquor) and it's surf able or SUPable. It's 2.5 kilometers to south Kaanapali beach and to the Times supermarket (like Safeway)
I can't speak to the actual units, sorry.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #46
Rudee
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gets crazy windy in Maui. Be warned.
Rudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #47
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We (dad, mom, 17month old) just got back from Maui after a 13 night stay.

It was my wifes second visit and my first. We found a modest 2b2ba condo across from Kamaole beach park 3 for 170 CAD/night ( exchange rate).

It wasnt the newest condo but it met our requirements. I found it on airbnb so naming the building would be useless other than to say it has communal bbq which we used 6 or 7 times (steak I think is the only food other than bottled water that is cheaper in Maui than in Canada), and it also had a beach shower on its site of S Kihei Rd which was handy to do a final wash of some beach items.

If you are just going to the beach then you dont need a rental car but unlike Oahu I would rely on the Mauibus for anything. You will need a rental car.

Kihei worked for us for its price compared to say Wailea and Lahaina area.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:11 AM   #48
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good read here...thank you for the useful info. Considering Maui.

We’re considering a condo in a gated community at Lahaina, $6,800 for 30 days. Fair rate? No beach but a nice place otherwise. Nice amenities.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 12-14-2020 at 12:20 AM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #49
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
We’re considering a condo in a gated community at Lahaina, $6,800 for 30 days. Fair rate? No beach but a nice place otherwise. Nice amenities.

I had looked at the stellar deals for Hawaii about 2-3 months back for Christmas. Got scared off, but if you have the time/inclination then it's quite possible to make it work. Better do a thorough job checking out all their Covid requirements - from pre-flight, to airlines, to airport, to shopping/food, to accoms, quarantine in place, and returns.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #50
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Lahaina is good spot for shopping and eating. One of my favorite restaurants is there Lahaina Grill. Plus a bunch of other great spots to eat.

Lahaina does have beaches like baby beach (no waves), but you will need to drive TBH about 10 mins to get to any of the better beaches. North near Honolua there are several good beaches. Also Black Rock is a good spot.

We stayed at Honua Kai last year and liked it with kids. It has got a bit d-baggy (aka Cancun-ish) with it getting so popular, but the kids liked it. It probably would cost a fair bit more however to stay there.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:06 AM   #51
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Puamana by chance?
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:07 PM   #52
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure I'd stay in Lahaina, especially if its in a condo without water access. Lahaina is a cruise ship town, aka tourist central, aka Bubba Gump shrimp Co, etc. I mean its a fine nice town but anything within walking distance is a tourist trap so you'll be driving to literally every activity you want to do.

I think there are certain tradeoffs you have to consider but no water, condo, and in Lahaina is 3 strikes, especially since the price doesn't seem crazy cheap.

Look up North of Kaanapali, between Honua Kai and Kapalua. More residential feel and more walkable/access to water. Plenty of affordable options I would suspect
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:19 PM   #53
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
We stayed at Honua Kai last year and liked it with kids. It has got a bit d-baggy (aka Cancun-ish) with it getting so popular, but the kids liked it. It probably would cost a fair bit more however to stay there.
I've stayed at Honua Kai 3 times in the last 7 years. In 2019, I found Honua Kai to show it's age and had become a bit run down. The pool was missing tiles, the garden wasn't nearly as lush and well maintained, and the if the unit wasn't a renovated one, you'd be working with 20 yr old off white carpet. Stuff was just not maintained well anymore - from the hot tub jets, to the hallways, to the grounds.

Also the beach had partially washed away and you had to go towards the Westin to find a spot.

All of this was weird as they were about to launch the swank new villas there - all of which have access to the pools making it even more crowded. Maybe they've done improvements since those villas opened? For the millions they were asking for these villas, I sure hope so.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condos , hotels , maui , rentals