Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #1461
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

RIP Sailor

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:53 PM   #1462
fulham
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
RIP Sailor

I met him once; he was dating one of my parents friends. I wonder how something like this happens; as one would imagine that plenty of cameras would be on board. I wonder what the investigation finds.
fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #1463
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Apparently Global News will break a story tonight that Government will purchase new aircraft to replace the ageing Polaris fleet.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1339697779002773509
Old 12-17-2020, 06:03 PM   #1464
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone tell me if this is a good thing, or if I should be outraged.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:04 PM   #1465
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Someone tell me if this is a good thing, or if I should be outraged.
I'm not sure how big the need is but buying the whole fleet at once makes sense
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:35 PM   #1466
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's got to be the Airbus A330 MRTT's. Used by quite a few of of our NATO Allies, is proven (unlike a KC-46), and is not a Boeing product. Air Transat might have some maintenance capabilities for it too as an A330 operator. Since it can do 3 roles (tanker, transport, VIP transport) the Government can say "See, it's not just for junkets."

Even in VIP Transport configuration, the UK MRTT's can still refuel planes. If Trudeau is smart he'll give up on the flashy liveries Harper added and stick with CAF grey to reinforce this fact.

Plus, there are a lot of used civilian examples on the cheap to pick from right now and sent through the MRTT conversion process. ("Look, used jets - whattadeal!")

Probably the right plane for Canada, but not having the fast jet contract sorted out 1st is terrible optically.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 12-17-2020 at 08:50 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 09:08 PM   #1467
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they'll just buy 88 of those instead.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:33 AM   #1468
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd think the leaning would be towards the A330 too. I've only casually followed it but the KC-46 program just doesn't seem to be progressing well.

In addition to Air Transat keep in mind that Air Canada also has 330's in the fleet and has maintenance experience with the type.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 07:54 AM   #1469
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you imagine if they announced Bombardier was awarded a no bid contract to replace the fleet? There would be heads exploding across the nation.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:10 AM   #1470
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Can you imagine if they announced Bombardier was awarded a no bid contract to replace the fleet? There would be heads exploding across the nation.
You know prior to this news I thought it would be nice for Canada to have a couple of the CSeries jets to use as VIP/Government transport. A Canadian made modern aircraft flying the flag would have been cool.

I guess now Bombardier only technically makes private jets, so that may be a stretch for them to be used as air to air tankers.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:58 AM   #1471
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wait until they announce a new division to start building ###### planes...
Old 12-18-2020, 04:08 PM   #1472
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I guess now Bombardier only technically makes private jets, so that may be a stretch for them to be used as air to air tankers.
Can't hop the pond and they are tiny, they are no good for VIP or tankers. Be a nice jet to have flying VIP around the country but that's all they would be good for.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:01 PM   #1473
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Well the RCAF bought a couple of Challenger 650s from Bombardier earlier this year, and any outrage was muted.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #1474
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
Well the RCAF bought a couple of Challenger 650s from Bombardier earlier this year, and any outrage was muted.

Because the purchase of two planes would be on par with replacing a fleet.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #1475
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Because the purchase of two planes would be on par with replacing a fleet.

-Well, the 'fleet' is 5, so not hugely more.

-And there are definitely folks that react strongly whenever Bombardier and the federal government are put together.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:44 PM   #1476
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ruh Roh

https://globalnews.ca/news/7614063/j...ration-honour/

Quote:
Former chief of defence staff Gen. Jonathan Vance is facing allegations of inappropriate behaviour with two female subordinates, including one regarding an alleged relationship with a woman he significantly outranked.
A source with direct knowledge of the relationship came forward to Global News alleging a relationship with sexually explicit exchanges and repeated private meetings. Global News has viewed evidence that appears to support this, dating from 2019 to as recently as January 2021.

More trouble for the Naval Warship replacement program

https://www.caledonenterprise.com/ne...-60b-warships/

Quote:
OTTAWA — The Department of National Defence says the first of 15 new warships being built for the Royal Canadian Navy will be delivered years later than expected as officials working on the $60-billion project grapple with unexpected design and construction challenges.

The delay means Canada will need to spend more on its 12 aging Halifax-class frigates to keep them floating longer, and is sure to set off a fresh wave of debate and lobbying around what amounts to the largest military procurement in Canadian history.

Quote:
The delay does mean the navy will need to continue operating its Halifax-class frigates longer, which means investing more money into the ships and managing how and when they are used.

Defence analyst David Perry of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute expressed concern about the new delay and what it means for the frigates, some of which are dealing with corrosion and metal fatigue that could limit how long they can remain in service.

An internal Defence Department report published last year echoed some of those concerns, saying the navy’s maintenance facilities were having an increasingly tough time repairing the frigates thanks in part to a lack of spare parts and the age of the fleet.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:01 PM   #1477
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I guess he didn't have time to attend the OP HONOUR briefings.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2021, 02:25 PM   #1478
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
More trouble for the Naval Warship replacement program

https://www.caledonenterprise.com/ne...-60b-warships/
Adm Norman joins the discussion.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/navy-needs-to...rman-1.5293499
And while Norman hopes it doesn't reach that point, the former navy commander and vice-chief of the defence staff suggests officials should nonetheless start getting ready for pressure to scale back the number or quality of new ships.

"These are all conversations that I think legitimately, at some point, are going to have to happen," Norman said. "To pretend that they're not going to happen is naive. This is all about tradeoffs at the end of the day."

For his part, Norman is firmly in the camp that if the conversation comes down to significant cuts to the new warships' capabilities or building fewer vessels to save billions of dollars, quality should trump quantity [emphasis added].

"There's only so much blood you can get from that rock or you end up producing something which isn't really a frontline warship anymore," he said. "And ultimately, that's what this is all about."
So, be prepared for one of two things to happen:

(1) due to cost overruns, the Government maintains all of the requirements (quality, in other words), but at a cost of fewer ships (quantity). Quality over quantity; or

(2) due to cost over runs, the Government maintains the quantity of 15 ships, but at a cost of deleting some requirements/capabilities. Quantity over quality, in other words.

Option (1) makes the most sense. Option (2) doesn't make any sense, which probably makes it good odds that the Government will pursue this option.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 11:33 PM   #1479
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that was quick - the CSC went from the $70B mentioned above to $77B (with a $82B max (i.e. probably) scenario in the PBO's latest report. Looks like a whole host of options were considered, including a mix of Type 26 / 31 as a cost savings means.

NSFW!

This was an interesting read (link), and I'm still working my way though this but this factoid sticks out and drives me nuts:

Quote:
The United Kingdom’s Royal Navy awarded a contract of ₤3.7 billion to BAE Systems for the manufacture of the first three Type 26 ships in 2017. The ₤3.7 billion contract would suggest a cost of ₤18.5 billion or $31.3 billion CAD for a fleet of 15 ships.27 This is lower than DND’s estimated project cost of $56-60 billion.

This comparison assumes a linear relationship between the number of ships and the cost. It is likely that BAE Systems’ shipyard in Glasgow, Scotland are more experienced than Irving Shipbuilding in Canada, allowing for greater efficiency and productivity, even for the first three ships.
and

Quote:
The Congressional Budget Office has projected a cost of approximately $12billion real 2020 US dollars,28 or approximately $16 billion CAD (using the average 2019-20 USDCAD exchange rate) for a production run of 10 hulls of the Constellation-class frigate. Assuming a linear relationship between ship quantity and cost, this suggests a procurement cost of 15 vessels for approximately $24 billion real 2020 CAD. This estimate is significantly lower than this report’s estimate of $71 billion CAD for 15 vessels.
I hate to say this but this has all the makings of a cancellation. I can't imagine the people making a hash of one program could make *two* programs running any better. Also Type 31's don't seem to have more than a couple dozen VLS and a deck gun.

I wish the PBO had the guts to call out Government Procurement and flat out say "Buy ships as a fixed-price add on order to the US or UK". Forget about building them here in Canada. No changes to "Canadianize" them permitted.

Maclean's ram this sentiment home with this crazy calculation as to how much better off we'd be if we did this:

Quote:
“But what about the jobs?!” I can hear the lobbyists cry. Yes, let’s talk about the jobs. According to the government of Canada’s own figures, only 11,100 people are employed in Canada’s shipbuilding industry (we have more massage therapists). If we were to add on those indirectly employed, that number creeps up to 15,200. Now, let’s pretend the Canadian frigate contract is the only shipbuilding job out there, and buying from France would mean every one of those 15,200 people would be out of work. If we were to give each of them $1 million in compensation, Canada would still save over $50 billion (in addition to getting the ships faster).
https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/its-...nada-warships/

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 02-27-2021 at 11:53 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:07 AM   #1480
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
What does a sentence like this even mean?
It is probably related to the industrial military complex and it’s relentless addiction for perpetual war.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote