Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #21
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure seems like the guy wanted to take out the ATT building while committing suicide, and that he clearly didn't want to hurt anyone else due to the warning message playing for several minutes before he set off the bomb.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #22
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to admit that I didn’t even know about this conspiracy theory until now, so his publicity stunt is probably working as intended, assuming I represent an average person.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #23
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

The good old publicity stunt suicide bombing. Classic.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2020, 06:12 AM   #24
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Warner, 63, of Antioch, Tennessee, is also believed to have spent time hunting for alien life forms in a nearby state park, sources said."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/nashville-bombing-suspect-possibly-interested-conspiracy-theories-sources/story?id=74958506
Old 12-30-2020, 11:21 AM   #25
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

What is it with Americans and conspiracy theories? I've never understood it.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1343636359060324353

Quote:
"It doesn't make sense to them, either," he said of his friends in the military and law enforcement. "Everything in 2020's been a cover-up... it's been a whole year of questions."
Quote:
"Satan never sleeps," LeVox added. "There's just so much evil and so much craziness going on in this world right now. If you can pray, pray, 'cause this world needs a lot of it."
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...ng/ar-BB1cm3vS
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #26
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
The moments leading up to the explosion add an extra layer of unease as the why continues to be a mystery ... Warner had an alarm blaring for several minutes telling people to evacuate, and then right before his bomb went off -- cops say he played Petula Clark's "Downtown."
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
What is it with Americans and conspiracy theories? I've never understood it.

Its not just Americans, there are lots of Canadians who are full on, on board of the conspiracy theory train including 9/11, school shooting trauma actors at school shootings. The Jews run the world type.

Hell if I was bored I'd go back to the conspiracy theory threads on this very board where there were more then one people that were fully on board the loose change freight train.

Its not something that's unique to the Americans, I would even doubt that based on percentage of population that its much different then Canada.

Where it does become louder, is that American's put more weight into their constitution and some of the rights enshrined in them then Canadians do.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:48 PM   #28
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

There have always been some fraction of the population who believe in conspiracy theories. The internet has just exposed us to more of their kooky beliefs than we saw 20 or 30 years ago. Seems to be an innate personality thing rather than cultural.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 12-30-2020 at 03:50 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #29
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
The good old publicity stunt suicide bombing. Classic.
So, you don't think his intention was to generate attention and publicity? It wouldn't be the first time some one killed themselves to generate attention to their cause.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:44 AM   #30
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

One of my best friends as a kid is big in conspiracy theories. He posted on Facebook last night something along the lines of "No vaccine for me, I won't be getting the Bill Gates microchip".

I thought about engaging, but what good would it do? He'd just double down, and tell me I need to open my eyes.

I do think there are some "conspiracy theories" that are true, but not New World Order, 9/11 stuff, more small level Karen trying to take over the condo board level stuff.

That said, I think Ron Funches really sums up conspiracy theories well here:

NSFW Langauge:

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 10:03 AM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Honestly I used to like to egg them on, send them posts from other conspiracy theory sites. I'd even make up my own, like take the weird sounds from space, or the ones in the woods in colorado and tell them I saw that this signal was captured being beamed from the pentagon or this signal was received by the White House signals room.

My personal favorites was to send them the mysterious lizard man pictures from around the internet and tell them that this was a photo of Hillary Clinton.

My form of debate with people I know that are big conspiracy theories used to be to try to engage them and debate them and debunk them. Now its simply "You're an idiot and I feel dumber every time I talk to you". Being old and crabby actually has some benefits.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 12:00 PM   #32
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
There have always been some fraction of the population who believe in conspiracy theories. The internet has just exposed us to more of their kooky beliefs than we saw 20 or 30 years ago. Seems to be an innate personality thing rather than cultural.
It's also an effect of the loudest voice being amplified on the internet. If you have 10,000 people in America obsessed with conspiracy theories devoting huge amounts of effort into promoting these theories, you're going to see the a lot more content from these people than from the 99.9% of Americans ignoring these people and hoping they'll just go away.

For example, I honestly don't believe that there's that many people who believe the Earth is flat. Yet, based on internet content, you'd expect the number of flat Earthers to be quite large. And every time someone calls out these people for being dumb, it only adds to their online presence by increasing google ranking on the subject.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 12:30 PM   #33
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conspiracy theories are just another belief in a higher power for numpties that are struggling with a belief in God due to the completely random and mostly grim nature of life, there is some comfort in thinking the lizard people or Bill Gates are in charge of the world (and for the record despite the shortcomings of every edition of Windows I've used since 3.1, I would still rather live in a world actually controlled by Bill Gates secretly or otherwise) the truth that the world is utterly random and unpredictable is just to scary for the idiots therefore they prefer to think the CIA or a Jewish Cabal organised 9/11, that it was just a hand full of wack jobs that threw the whole world out of kilter is too scary for them.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 12:34 PM   #34
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Honestly I used to like to egg them on, send them posts from other conspiracy theory sites. I'd even make up my own, like take the weird sounds from space, or the ones in the woods in colorado and tell them I saw that this signal was captured being beamed from the pentagon or this signal was received by the White House signals room.

My personal favorites was to send them the mysterious lizard man pictures from around the internet and tell them that this was a photo of Hillary Clinton.

My form of debate with people I know that are big conspiracy theories used to be to try to engage them and debate them and debunk them. Now its simply "You're an idiot and I feel dumber every time I talk to you". Being old and crabby actually has some benefits.
My debate has boiled down to 'you're posting your every thought on Facebook with a cell phone that never leaves your side that has more tracking microchips in it than a cruise missile's guidance system while bitching about big corporations tracking you, do you realize what a total moron this makes you?'
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote