Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #1941
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a poorly formatted PDF, but you can at least read all the text.

https://pdfhost.io/v/w2ecIOXII_Larry...alwellspdf.pdf
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #1942
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Appears that one has a lot of the text cut-off because of the page header nav.

This one has everything visible: https://pdfhost.io/v/XjfTWIAeI_Larry...alwellspdf.pdf
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 10:52 PM   #1943
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Larry Flint article....
Everything visible.....
Leaving disappointed.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #1944
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Christian apologist Ravi Zacharias has been posthumously accused and is being investigated on charges of "sexual misconduct."

I have posted more details about it here:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...13#post7671313

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #1945
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Christian apologist Ravi Zacharias has been posthumously accused and is being investigated on charges of "sexual misconduct."

I have a fundy facebook friend who references this Ravi fellow, I shall have to try and decide whether to take a dump on his beliefs or not, it probably isnt worth the pain it causes him
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #1946
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

But I know he's a good person, he has faith in god.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #1947
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Spoiler!

In all seriousness, pulling this from the sex abuse thread. I think it's completely unfair to blame the bible.

My sarcasm above, was meant to denote what I think the real problem is. The Christian mythos tells people that good people believe and bad people don't, so if you believe you are good and can dismiss any actions on the basis of being a good god fearing faithful man. I hear this from people all the time, "well they have good morals, they believe in god." Catholicism is even worse because they teach you that you can be forgiven for some pretty terrible as long as you truly believe, and ask nicely.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #1948
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Predators are drawn to institutions where they access to the vulnerable. The Boy Scouts of America have gone bankrupt, unable to defend all the claims.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2020, 12:13 AM   #1949
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Spoiler!

In all seriousness, pulling this from the sex abuse thread. I think it's completely unfair to blame the bible.
Not in the slightest. Where do you think the ideas espoused by Christians come from in the first place?

Quote:
My sarcasm above, was meant to denote what I think the real problem is. The Christian mythos tells people that good people believe and bad people don't, so if you believe you are good and can dismiss any actions on the basis of being a good god fearing faithful man.
I think you are totally wrong about this. Here is a sampling of Christian responses to the news about Ravi Zacharias:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Christian
I'm so glad I'm a Christian and not a Zacharian, because my hope and trust is in the Lord rather than in men, but there are still ramifications to fallen ministers, which is why the enemy targets them.
Quote:
My faith is found in no one else than Jesus Christ! Praying for those directly affected by Ravi's sin.
Quote:
This makes me sad as well. But reinforces the truth that we are all sinners in need of a Savior. I may be guilty of being one who thought he was super-human, super-Christian. But he was just a man.
Quote:
The Lord really used Ravi Zacharias’s talks to move me closer to Him. The Lord used RZ to bring me closer to understanding God’s purpose for me. Key term is THE LORD. RZ was just the vessel— just a man. I pray that he repented and turned from this wickedness prior to his death.
Quote:
This does not in any way discredits his MESSAGE!! We ALL FALL SHORT and there’s is no question that what he did behind closed doors was WRONG! But I put faith in NO MAN- It’s God’s WORD that’s the backbone.
I think it is easy for Christians to gloss over the failings of their leaders on the same premise that Christianity is founded upon: EVERYONE is a sinner; EVERY sin is equally deplorable and unacceptable. Quite to the contrary, it is fairly common for Christians to eat their own when they have fallen, and this is in large part due to the ideas expressed above: ministers and leaders are mere vessels for the message. Completely inconsequential, easily discarded and forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I hear this from people all the time, "well they have good morals, they believe in god." Catholicism is even worse because they teach you that you can be forgiven for some pretty terrible as long as you truly believe, and ask nicely.
Yeah, I see this as terribly dangerous theology, and in the case of fallen leaders like RZ it is this same type of thinking that normalizes all sorts of awful behaviour. Since every individual person in the human race is hopelessly depraved, then your thoughts and actions are no less wicked than those of child molestors, sociopaths and genocidal dictators. It is all "sin," after all.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #1950
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I have added a new video to my YouTube channel.

This is the third in my rebuttal series to Christian apologist, Inspiring Philosophy, who has embarked on a feeble attempt to show the consistency and antiquity of the biblical book of Genesis.

This is also the first of probably three videos in which I will discuss in depth the evidence for the consensus theory of the formation of the Pentateuch from various earlier sources.

Quote:
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2021, 03:32 PM   #1951
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I have just been scheduled to appear on the Mythvision podcast to talk about bad Christian apologetics and the Documentary Hypothesis:

https://mythvisionpodcast.com

I will be interviewing with the host on 10 May; I doubt that it will be a live discussion, but will certainly link to it once it is uploaded.

Quote:
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2021, 05:28 PM   #1952
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have just been scheduled to appear on the Mythvision podcast to talk about bad Christian apologetics and the Documentary Hypothesis:

https://mythvisionpodcast.com

I will be interviewing with the host on 10 May; I doubt that it will be a live discussion, but will certainly link to it once it is uploaded.
I might call on you for some answers today, am just getting into it with my fundy friends as to why they think Catholics arent Christian, which is ironic as they are utter biblical inerrants so you would think being founded by Peter or Mark would be pretty much a seal of approval
Old 04-26-2021, 07:23 PM   #1953
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Probably the core disagreement your friends would have with Catholics is with salvation (or justification and sanctification I guess); God's removing of the condemnation and penalty of sin and making a person righteous and able to be with God through Christ's work.

They probably believe that people are saved by grace through faith. They also probably believe Catholics believe that salvation is by works (which would be an oversimplification, but works are part of the process for Catholics).

Synergysm vs monergism.

The sacraments are necessary to salvation for Catholics.

Or at least what I was both taught at Catholic school and later what my evangelical teachers told me what Catholics believe and why it's fundamentally different.

If the method of salvation is different then there isn't much common ground.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2021, 07:27 PM   #1954
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I might call on you for some answers today, am just getting into it with my fundy friends as to why they think Catholics arent Christian, which is ironic as they are utter biblical inerrants so you would think being founded by Peter or Mark would be pretty much a seal of approval
Sure thing. Although in my experience as a former anti-papist that for these people "The Word" supercedes all; especially Church traditions about sacraments and saints.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Old 04-26-2021, 07:35 PM   #1955
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Probably the core disagreement your friends would have with Catholics is with salvation (or justification and sanctification I guess); God's removing of the condemnation and penalty of sin and making a person righteous and able to be with God through Christ's work.

They probably believe that people are saved by grace through faith. They also probably believe Catholics believe that salvation is by works (which would be an oversimplification, but works are part of the process for Catholics).

Synergysm vs monergism.

The sacraments are necessary to salvation for Catholics.

Or at least what I was both taught at Catholic school and later what my evangelical teachers told me what Catholics believe and why it's fundamentally different.

If the method of salvation is different then there isn't much common ground.
It's not just Catholics though, its Eastern and Coptic they look askance at, as well as JW's (I sympathise there) me I dont care either way but I dont get how anyone can view the bible as inerrant but at the same time discount all the bits about the early church
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2021, 07:44 PM   #1956
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah, in pretty much every church I went to everyone else was led astray and didn't have true salvation.

But they really seemed to have a dislike for Catholics. And Mormons. I remember a lot of youth group meetings watching warning videos about Catholics and Mormons.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:08 PM   #1957
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
It's not just Catholics though, its Eastern and Coptic they look askance at, as well as JW's (I sympathise there) me I dont care either way but I dont get how anyone can view the bible as inerrant but at the same time discount all the bits about the early church
The blame for this lies squarely on the Protestant Reformation in Europe, and the Great Awakening in the US. There was so much entrenched bitterness built up by centuries of church excess, that in the 16th century the traditional churches were all recaste by the new Reformers as degenerate and corrupt. Luther's translation of the Greek New Testament into German, and Wycliffe's English translations also revealed the litany of problems with the Latin Vulgate, which was regarded by the Catholic Church as the only authorized text of Scripture. It became more palatable as a result to see the traditional churches as guilty of intentionally stifling and twisting the Word of God. From my own experience, we made it a point of celebrating the Reformers like Huss, Luther, Wycliffe, and Tyndall precisely for their courage in the face of Catholic suppression to translate God's Word into the vernacular.

Quote:
Old 05-02-2021, 11:28 PM   #1958
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I have uploaded a new video to my YouTube channel. This one lays out a tonne of the evidence for the Documentary Hypothesis—the reason it is so long is because there is just SO MUCH evidence.

This one was a hell of a lot of work, so I appreciate any views you can spare.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2021, 11:39 PM   #1959
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Hey Textcritic, do you have opinions on either of the Youtube channels Paulogia or Religion for Breakfast?

I've been watching a lot of them recently and have been thoroughly enjoying them. Paulogia in particular has some really good videos regarding various apologists.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:51 AM   #1960
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Hey Textcritic, do you have opinions on either of the Youtube channels Paulogia or Religion for Breakfast?

I've been watching a lot of them recently and have been thoroughly enjoying them. Paulogia in particular has some really good videos regarding various apologists.
I don't know Religion for Breakfast, but Paulogia is one of my favourites, and he lives in Calgary (but he is also a dirty Oilers fan). I find him to be really fair in his reviews, his videos are entertaining and he also stays fairly well abreast of contemporary scholarship on the topics he covers.

You should read his blog-debate with Andrew Loke about the resurrection of Jesus. Loke's opening statement is barely comprehensible, but Paulogia's first offering is really good.

https://chromosometwo.wordpress.com/...ing-statement/

Quote: