Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #21
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Do people do that? Frodo/Sam is the main story.
I don't skip the Frodo parts, but the rest of the movie (especially TT and ROTK) was so freaking well done it's hard to leave that and engage in the Frodo parts.

In the books, the Frodo parts flow better with the rest of the story so it's not as bad.

For the record, books>>>>>>>>>>>>>movies. And I love the movies.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #22
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Peter Jackson movies seemed to get gradually worse as they go on. Fellowship is sheer perfection the whole way through and even the best part of it is the very beginning, It's hard to call Two Towers worse, but the cracks start to show with some of the creative liberties that were starting to happen (aragorns dream sequence). In RotK the creative liberties are starting to pile up and the whole thing just doesn't feel as focused and crisp as the first two. In the Hobbit, there is a huge drop in effort as everything is now done on green screen because PJ just doesn't have the energy to run around barefoot in New Zealand for another five years, this is masked by how cool it is to have LOTR back with dwarves in the spotlight and that the CGI was very impressive for it's time, but this mask slips as the movies go on. For the last movie I just waited until it was on streaming and just watched the last battle, which I don't even remember at all.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #23
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I skipped the whole battle garbage in RoTK. It's tedious.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #24
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
The Peter Jackson movies seemed to get gradually worse as they go on. Fellowship is sheer perfection the whole way through and even the best part of it is the very beginning, It's hard to call Two Towers worse, but the cracks start to show with some of the creative liberties that were starting to happen (aragorns dream sequence). In RotK the creative liberties are starting to pile up and the whole thing just doesn't feel as focused and crisp as the first two. In the Hobbit, there is a huge drop in effort as everything is now done on green screen because PJ just doesn't have the energy to run around barefoot in New Zealand for another five years, this is masked by how cool it is to have LOTR back with dwarves in the spotlight and that the CGI was very impressive for it's time, but this mask slips as the movies go on. For the last movie I just waited until it was on streaming and just watched the last battle, which I don't even remember at all.
The studio expanded The Hobbit into a trilogy when production had already begun. So Peter Jackson was actively writing the story as he was filming it. Perfect set-up to fail scenario.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #25
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frankly I'm still bitter at the pathetic beards the dwarves had in the hobbit.

Tolkein made a point of saying Thorin's beard was almost to the floor which is a symbol of the importance of a dwarf. In the movie he basically had the beard Gio grows in an afternoon. Balin and Gloin had acceptable beards.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see Peter Jackson go back to his roots and make a gross out horror movie like Bad Taste and Dead Alive.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 01:21 PM   #27
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I would love to see Peter Jackson go back to his roots and make a gross out horror movie like Bad Taste and Dead Alive.
Or retrieve Meet the Feebles from whatever lead-lined vault it’s buried in.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #28
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Or retrieve Meet the Feebles from whatever lead-lined vault it’s buried in.
Word is you can check out that film on YouTube. Also, pretty easily available for purchase on DVD.

I may or may not watch this later tonight
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still have a DVD copy of Dead Alive.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #30
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I think The Hobbit experience "broke" Jackson. He hasn't done much of anything since then and looks to only have a couple documentaries coming up as director.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:26 PM   #31
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I think The Hobbit experience "broke" Jackson. He hasn't done much of anything since then and looks to only have a couple documentaries coming up as director.
Mortal Engines didn't help. That movie had a large budget and was supposed to lead into a franchise, but totally flopped. I actually found it relatively entertaining.

The Hobbit movies made a dime and were complete trash. I hated the first one, actually fell asleep in the theatre during the 2nd one, and did not bother to see the third. Maybe I fell asleep during the first one and never saw the last two? The entire trilogy feels like a CGI scene, I didn't want to see in the first place, on repeat. Oh no...a CGI monster...the band is trapped...what will they do...oh no...another CGI monster.....trapped again....
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:17 PM   #32
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jackson's WWI documentary They Shall Not Grow Old was outstanding.

direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2020, 09:28 AM   #33
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I meant to get my hands on that documentary, I've heard nothing but great things.

Thanks for reminding me.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #34
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It was just released on Netflix
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post: