Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #101
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Coleslaw,fries or baked potato is perfect. One helping of beans and I have to sit in a room by myself for 24 hours.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #102
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
does anyone clean the inside of their bbq? how often do you need to clean it?

Other than the grill grates, which get the wire-brush treatment everytime it's used, the inside has never been cleaned (~1 year old). The burners are covered by baffles, so nothing should drip into them directly, but I can see the bottom of the bbq has a bit of carbon and ash, as does the top of the baffles.
I dismantle it and give it one good cleaning every year in the spring. I do lots of BBQ with sauces and it can cause a lot of gunk to build up. It is helpful though as my burners seem to run much hotter after I clean it all out. Once a year is enough for the thorough cleaning though.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #103
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I eat chicken breast daily, but it gets very boring and plain after a while of the same things. Does anyone have any recommendations? Much appreciated.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #104
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
I eat chicken breast daily, but it gets very boring and plain after a while of the same things. Does anyone have any recommendations? Much appreciated.
If you like spicy food, you could try putting some Jamaican Jerk Sauce on it.

Superstore sells a pretty tasty one. It's called Memories of Montego Bay Jerk Sauce, or something along those lines.

Jerk is mainly a combination of allspice and scotch bonnet peppers, with other ingredients like thyme, garlic, scallions etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #105
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
place 2-3 chicken breast (cubed), and a hand full of mushrooms in a food processor to get a medium course grind up.

Add chopped chives, finely diced onion, finelt diced red pepper, 1 cup (or more - depends how wet the final mixture feels) of panko bread crumbs, salt and pepper to taste (as well as any other seasonings you may like)

Form into patties and grill. The panko will give you a real crispy chicken burger, and the mushrooms and other veggies will keep the patties moist

super easy and real tasty
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #106
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Try thighs instead - much more flavour and not nearly as dry. I find BBQed breasts awfully dry. With thighs, you can just marinade them in something as simple as teriyaki sauce, throw them on the grill, and they come out very tasty.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #107
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
I've never BBQ'd ribs before. Anybody have any simple suggestions and recommended marinade/bbq sauces for them?
An easy way to do ribs, you should pull the "silver skin" off the bone side.

You just work a spoon handle under the thin membrane from the end until you can get a grip on it and pull, it will peel right off the bones.

Sprinkle some seasoning (chicken & pork rub) on the ribs and rub it on, bake them in a covered pan at 225f for at least an hr, this renders the fat out and cooks the ribs and can be done ahead of time. I use a turkey roaster and it fits 4 racks without much touching, 2 racks against the sides. If you have more racks you will have to pile them and increase the baking time a fair bit.

Just put them on the grill at a med/low heat and brush your favorite sauce on them at your leisure as long as their not drying out. Your really just adding the final touch. Don't be afraid of sloping the sauce on, what falls into the grill just smokes the ribs up...

Ribs should not be boiled... Keep the flavor with the ribs.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #108
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Try thighs instead - much more flavour and not nearly as dry.
2x
Old 04-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #109
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ To add to Vlad's post, if you have a Costco membership, buy your thighs there. They sell huge packs of boneless/skinless chicken thighs for under half the price of what you pay at Safeway or Co-op. Yes, I know that bone+skin=extra flavor, but these are really nice quality and the butchery is top notch.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #110
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Baked beans or coleslaw make good sides for ribs. Even fries or some type of finger food, since you're already nice and messy!

Edit: You should take a look at Bar B Barn ribs. Easily one of my favorite rib recipes.

Make the sauce like it says in the recipe. Parboil the ribs (which helps break down the connective muscle tissue = tender fall off the bone ribs), coat them in a thick layer of sauce, and slowly bake them on the BBQ using indirect heat. Try to keep your BBQ at 350º, and lift the lid as little as possible. You can apply extra sauce every 20 minutes or so with a silicon brush. Make sure the ribs aren't sitting over any flame, as it will burn the sauce and make the ribs taste acrid.
Never, ever, ever, boil your ribs. Not only do you destroy the texture but you also loose tons of the flavour. By boiling them the water absorbs the flavour (ie when you boil meat to make soup). I posted a recipe earlier in the thread that makes perfect ribs every time.
wpgflamesfan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wpgflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #111
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgflamesfan View Post
Never, ever, ever, boil your ribs. Not only do you destroy the texture but you also loose tons of the flavour. By boiling them the water absorbs the flavour (ie when you boil meat to make soup). I posted a recipe earlier in the thread that makes perfect ribs every time.
You seem to be quite the authority on ribs to claim that you should never ever ever boil them. It's a trade-off. If you don't have several hours to let your ribs slow cook on the grill, then yes, you'll want to parboil them. There's a huge difference between boiling ribs until they're an unidentifyable pile of grey colorless meat, and parboiling ribs for 15 or 20 minutes in order to break down the connective tissue. This isn't a ribeye steak - it's ribs - and they have lots of very tough connective tissues.

Also, you mention boiling it in water. The recipe itself doesn't mention what kind of liquid to use. You can use apple juice, beef broth, bbq sauce, seasoned water with spices. You can use this process as a way to impart extra flavor into the ribs, not take flavor away.

If you had 1 hour to cook some ribs, you would never get tender meat by only using indirect heat.

Personally I don't boil ribs if I don't have to. I like to take it low and slow. But there is a time and place for everything, parboiling ribs included.

Lastly, it's probably not the best idea to knock the recipe if you haven't tried it. Bar B Barn ribs are probably some of the best ribs you can get in Canada.

Edit: It sounds arrogant, but I meant for it to be informative.

Last edited by Komskies; 04-22-2010 at 05:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #112
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

How do you parboil? I am going to make some ribs tomorrow, and dont have a ton of time to prepare them say 2 hours?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #113
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
How do you parboil? I am going to make some ribs tomorrow, and dont have a ton of time to prepare them say 2 hours?

Go up 5 posts
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #114
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I just tried a new rib making recipe that took me under 2 hours to make two full racks.

I took a cookie sheet and placed lemons along it as well as filled the bottom of the sheet with water, maybe a cm or so deep but rested the ribs on the lemons so they were barely in the water, Season the ribs accordingly and remove the membrane / silver skin whatever you call it. I then foil wrapped the tray completely to prevent any steam from escaping.

in the oven at 325 for 1-1.5 hours they came out super tender and cooked.

From there you just take them to the grill with the bbq sauce or blend of choice and coat the ribs while grilling the sauce so it carmalizes around the outside. I imagine if you wanted you could do the first step with a crapload of ribs, then fridge them / (freeze?) and then cook off a half rack or full rack whenever you wanted during the week. that's pretty much how most restaurants do ribs (ever wonder how they get fall off the bone in under 15 minutes?)

(I cheated and just did it in the oven with the oven set to broil)

Not quite boiling, but same moist cooking effect, I found the ribs to be more (pork) flavourful than boiling it in water or even a mild marinade / apple juice / beef broth. Definitely going with this method this summer.

Last edited by ma-skis.com; 04-22-2010 at 11:23 PM.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #115
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-skis.com View Post
I just tried a new rib making recipe that took me under 2 hours to make two full racks.

I took a cookie sheet and placed lemons along it as well as filled the bottom of the sheet with water, maybe a cm or so deep but rested the ribs on the lemons so they were barely in the water, I then foil wrapped the tray completely to prevent any steam from escaping.

I know this works well with fish...
Old 04-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #116
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
I know this works well with fish...
I knew that too, but didn't think to try it with ribs until recently, try it, works great with ribs, surprised me anyways

I always hate that feeling of a new recipe thinking if I'm about to waste a bunch of food that could be really really good.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:26 AM   #117
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I made rib jerky once after following a online Emril recipe... It didn't say how much of his BAM! spice mixture to put on so I guessed.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #118
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's worth noting that natural gas burns cooler than propane so cooking times may vary depending on your fuel.

I noticed a big difference when we switched to natural gas. The meat seemed to hold the juices better.

We went with a Vermont Castings BBQ with 4 main burners and a rotisserie burner. It is awesome! I would highly recommend it. Roasts done on the rotisserie couldn't be easier or more delicious.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #119
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgflamesfan View Post

Parboil in a mixture of apple juice and your favourite bbq sauce, gets the flavours moving in the right direction.

Last edited by Flacker; 04-27-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: said sauce meant juice
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #120
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

So my girlfriend, my girlfriends family and my family all pitched money into a BBQ fund for me for my birthday. Which was an awesome present BTW. I was thinking of the Weber Spirit E310. Anyone had experience with it?

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/cooking.bpsx?CookingID=19

My mother has the Weber Genesis EP320 and it's a pretty fantastic BBQ, but out of my price range.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber