Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2024, 11:16 AM   #1
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Umar Zameer found not guilty if 1st degree murder of police officer

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/jury-find...eath-1.6855891

Pretty crazy he was even charged to begin with. The judge and crown got in a few spats in the trial with the judge accusing the crown of a "morphing" theory on what happened to fit new evidence.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 11:47 AM   #2
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shocking surprise that the testimony of 3 police officers was contradicted by experts and video evidence

If anyone has ever worked as a defence lawyer, you know how many times the prosecutor has a garbage case, knows it, and instead of doing the right thing (and sometimes unpopular thing) and pulling it, they refuse and say "lets just let the judge/jury decide" so they can avoid any criticism even though they are clearly wasting time and resources.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 04-21-2024 at 11:50 AM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:52 AM   #3
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Northrup's partner who was there at the time of the incident also has a history of taking the funds raised in another incident for her ex-partner I believe, which had me uneasy about trusting anything she said. I'm glad Zameer was found not guilty. It was pretty clear to me based on everything presented that he had no intention to kill Northrup and most definitely did not know they were police officers.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 12:54 PM   #4
Mephisto
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Northrup's partner who was there at the time of the incident also has a history of taking the funds raised in another incident for her ex-partner I believe, which had me uneasy about trusting anything she said. I'm glad Zameer was found not guilty. It was pretty clear to me based on everything presented that he had no intention to kill Northrup and most definitely did not know they were police officers.
Unreal what they put this poor guy through. From cops lying on the stand to the prosecutor doubling down and changing theories in closing arguments. Shameful. Hopefully this man and his family can find some peace after this although doubtful the scumbags at TPS will let him.
Mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mephisto For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 11:09 AM   #5
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1782147370379092258
Old 04-22-2024, 11:26 AM   #6
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Being part of the police is like a cult. The police and the brotherhood is always right. It’s embarrassing when these guys feel like they’re the moral superiority of a higher vocation. They’re public servants paid a killing. When they do wrong and lie they should be held to a different standard. But it doesn’t happen. Total nonsense.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 01:48 PM   #7
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is sad that Doug Ford and Patrick Brown also made public comments about this at the time, before the accused had his day in court. As well as the former police chief. Add in the current police chief's comments, and the officers that lied under oath, and this is all pretty disgusting.

I'm not sure what recourse is available, but I hope that this is not the last we hear of this.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 02:15 PM   #8
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
It is sad that Doug Ford and Patrick Brown also made public comments about this at the time, before the accused had his day in court. As well as the former police chief. Add in the current police chief's comments, and the officers that lied under oath, and this is all pretty disgusting.

I'm not sure what recourse is available, but I hope that this is not the last we hear of this.
Yeah. Doug Ford's tweet below.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1440739291441762305

Also, a good interview with Zameer's defense lawyer, who received threats to him and his own kids for daring to defend a "cop killer", where he talks about just how terrible the police officers acted throughout this whole case.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/video/20...f-umar-zameer/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 02:40 PM   #9
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like, can you imagine? This could be any one of us. Going to our parked car underground late in the evening downtown and then having 2 people clearly rush towards our car seconds after we get in it, yelling at us to open the window. Naturally, you're going to be scared and assume these people who are not in uniform shouldn't be trusted (especially worried if you have a pregnant wife in the vehicle with you who is your top priority) and then as you drive up to leave, some random car rushes up and blocks you. You're going to back TF up and get the hell out of there.

Yes, he ran over a cop, but clearly it was an accident. Yet the cops tried to MAKE UP A STORY, so they could put this innocent man in jail. So they could have that man locked up for some time so his child would be raised by a single mom. When he didn't mean to do it. Jesus, what kind of people go along with that plan? Effing pisses me off that police officers would be so willing to destroy another family's life.
Old 04-22-2024, 02:48 PM   #10
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Acab
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 03:32 PM   #11
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like, can you imagine? This could be any one of us. Going to our parked car underground late in the evening downtown and then having 2 people clearly rush towards our car seconds after we get in it, yelling at us to open the window. Naturally, you're going to be scared and assume these people who are not in uniform shouldn't be trusted (especially worried if you have a pregnant wife in the vehicle with you who is your top priority) and then as you drive up to leave, some random car rushes up and blocks you. You're going to back TF up and get the hell out of there.

Yes, he ran over a cop, but clearly it was an accident. Yet the cops tried to MAKE UP A STORY, so they could put this innocent man in jail. So they could have that man locked up for some time so his child would be raised by a single mom. When he didn't mean to do it. Jesus, what kind of people go along with that plan? Effing pisses me off that police officers would be so willing to destroy another family's life.
Yeah. Agreed. In many ways I hate to say it but if he didn’t have a two year old and a pregnant wife, he could’ve been f’ed. Each and every person involved deserves some type of retribution for what went down. The police union is too powerful. They actively tried to f this guy just because one of their own died because of their own incompetence. F all of them. It really could be any of us, and it makes you wonder how many people are locked up for exaggerations on their part.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 03:41 PM   #12
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Jesus ####ing Christ.

Quote:
Forbes and the two officers who were in the van testified that Northrup was standing in the laneway with his hands outstretched when Zameer drove directly at him. The officers in the van, constables Antonio Correa and Scharnil Pais, said Northrup fell on the hood and then to the ground and under the wheels.
Quote:
Zameer testified he was in the car with his eight-months-pregnant wife and their two-year-old son when two strangers, a man and a woman, rushed over. He said he locked the doors and the pair started yelling and banging on the car. Zameer said he thought his family was being attacked and he drove forward to get away.

He told the court he was even more alarmed when the van blocked his exit, and he decided to reverse quickly to get away. Zameer said he looked back while reversing and in front when moving forward and never saw anything or anyone in the way.
Both he and his wife testified they thought they had gone over a speed bump and didn't realize they had hit a person until after Zameer's arrest.

Two crash reconstruction experts told the court they concluded that Northrup fell after the car made glancing contact with him while reversing, and was on the ground when he was run over. Both found there was no damage or dust disturbance on the car that would indicate someone had been hit head-on.
Absolute ####ing criminals. Just a friendly reminder to remember to always Shut The #### Up. Cops aren’t your friends.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 03:43 PM   #13
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Being part of the police is like a cult. The police and the brotherhood is always right. It’s embarrassing when these guys feel like they’re the moral superiority of a higher vocation. They’re public servants paid a killing. When they do wrong and lie they should be held to a different standard. But it doesn’t happen. Total nonsense.
It was a career I was always interested in. The main reason I didn’t pursue it was fear of the internal workings of the job. Not the field duties. I’m 100% certain I’d get set up or murdered for reporting dirty cops.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 03:49 PM   #14
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I tried to imagine it but I'm an older, white male so undercover cops would never rush my vehicle expecting that I was a criminal. Clearly, those are criminals rushing my vehicle to rob me.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 11:17 PM   #15
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Jesus ####ing Christ.

Absolute ####ing criminals. Just a friendly reminder to remember to always Shut The #### Up. Cops aren’t your friends.
Yep. Excellent advice. DON”T TALK TO COPS. Ever. Give the minimum required data. Tell them your name, show your driver’s license/registration/insurance card. That’s it. Anything else you say/do can and likely will be used against you.

Last edited by Mightyfire89; 04-23-2024 at 06:03 AM.
Mightyfire89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mightyfire89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 11:30 PM   #16
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Acab
What does that stand for?
Old 04-22-2024, 11:35 PM   #17
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Jesus ####ing Christ.

Your post needs to be edited as the YouTube link wasn't showing up.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:49 PM   #18
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terrible policing right from the time of the incident through to the trial.

It's ridiculous in the first place that plain clothes officers will bang on someone's car like lunatics and expect someone to comply with them, especially in a neighbourhood where apparently stabbings occur. If they are in plain clothes, unless they actually see a crime happen, they shouldn't be able to arrest a bystander. That scenario has misunderstandings, accidents, and potential violence escalation written all over it. It's crazy that all they have to do is say they are the police and expect people to automatically comply, which apparently is the case even if they are in plain clothes, but why would anyone want to risk it? It's good that the police are being exposed for this, including what happened after the incident.

This isn't the first time that plain clothed officers ended up creating a far more dangerous situation than what was called for. Some jurisdictions don't allow it anymore for that reason.

Same thing with police in unmarked vehicles, which is the same principle. Like this case that happened in Edmonton last year:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10097786/...aken-identity/

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-22-2024 at 11:57 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 12:01 AM   #19
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Terrible policing right from the time of the incident through to the trial.

It's ridiculous in the first place that plain clothes officers will bang on someone's car like lunatics and expect someone to comply with them, especially in a neighbourhood where apparently stabbings occur. If they are in plain clothes, unless they actually see a crime happen, they shouldn't be able to arrest a bystander. That scenario has misunderstandings, accidents, and potential violence escalation written all over it. It's crazy that all they have to do is say they are the police and expect people to automatically comply, which apparently is the case, but why would anyone want to risk it? It's good that the police are being exposed for this, including what happened after the incident.

This isn't the first time that plain clothed officers ended up creating a far more dangerous situation than what was called for. Some jurisdictions don't allow it anymore for that reason.

Same thing with police in unmarked vehicle, which is the same principle. Like this case that happened in Edmonton last year:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10097786/...aken-identity/
Plain clothes stuff is always a very fine line to walk for cops. No question. Great police work gets done but there are some errors, no doubt. Believe it or not, it’s a difficult job to do correctly 100% of the time.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:47 AM   #20
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
Plain clothes stuff is always a very fine line to walk for cops. No question. Great police work gets done but there are some errors, no doubt. Believe it or not, it’s a difficult job to do correctly 100% of the time.
Sure, I get that there is a time and place for it. Like for example, trying to blend in to a crowd. Which is what I think they were originally doing that night at Canada Day festivities, until they got pulled in to investigate the stabbing. That situation probably wasn't an appropriate use for plain clothes officers.

Honestly, if any of these people approached me and my family in a mostly empty parkade past dark in Toronto, I don't think I would feel too obliged to comply with them.

Spoiler!