Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #261
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anyone know any good <4 hour hikes around Canmore? Heading there tonight with the GF, just looking for a light hike tomorrow as we have to come back early ish and don't wanna get up early tomorrow haha.
Rommel or Chester down the spray lake road 1/2hr. Or there is Ha Ling right in town or lady macdonald to the heli pad or summit if you like knife edge ridges
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:31 AM   #262
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
If you don't mind driving 45 minutes up the spray lake road most definitely do Rummel lake. 5 kms and very pretty this time of year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Rommel or Chester down the spray lake road 1/2hr. Or there is Ha Ling right in town or lady macdonald to the heli pad or summit if you like knife edge ridges
Thanks for the suggestions. GF's knee was bothering her so we just did a quick jaunt up to Grassi Lakes and watched the climbers. Will keep those suggestions in mind when we head back throughout the summer/fall.

For a sub-2 hour round trip hike and being so close to town its actually quite nice up there, albeit quite busy.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #263
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Made it down to Waterton on the weekend and hiked up to Crypt Lake on Saturday. The weather was great and the hike was amazing. There was no snow or ice left on the trail and only a little bit of mud. The morning boat ride across the lake was completely full which made for a bit of a crowded start. We avoided the crowd a bit by detouring to hell roaring falls on the way up. Overall I would call it the best day hike in the Rockies that I've ever done.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brewmaster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #264
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, Crypt Lake is a great hike.

We did a quick Grassi Lakes Sunday morning just before some rain hit. Wasn't to busy at 9:30, which was nice.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #265
gladaki
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Last weekend did
Alymer summit (one night backpacking)
camp at LM8, Hiked to Alymer lookout and alymer summit
Beautiful indeed
They are closing for camping from 10th July till 15th Sep though
gladaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #266
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a heads up for everyone to be bear safe. I've seen more this year already than I do over the course of most full seasons.

Used my bangers for the first time. Fired two and he didn't give it a second thought and went on about his day. Some surprising behaviour so be careful out there!
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2015, 11:29 PM   #267
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Just a heads up for everyone to be bear safe. I've seen more this year already than I do over the course of most full seasons.

Used my bangers for the first time. Fired two and he didn't give it a second thought and went on about his day. Some surprising behaviour so be careful out there!
I posted in the cycling thread but we ran into a bear on the legacy trail just past cascade ponds heading south to Canmore just before going under the trans canada underpass. Being popular front country stuff I did not have bear spray or bangers.

He was just minding his own business cursing down the trail. We just backed off slowly for about 100m until he veared off across the ponds. A little nerve racking with kids.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:44 PM   #268
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I've got some expired spray so I get to practice my draw and aim this season.

And to chime in on Crypt, there are some great rocks to jump off for a quick dip at the south end of the lake, about 10 ft high. Its probably my favorite hike too.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:59 AM   #269
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking to do Mount Bogart next week. It sounds like the Ribbon Falls trail has been re-opened since the floods just hoping someone here can confirm.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:42 AM   #270
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
I've got some expired spray so I get to practice my draw and aim this season.

And to chime in on Crypt, there are some great rocks to jump off for a quick dip at the south end of the lake, about 10 ft high. Its probably my favorite hike too.
Is expired spray really not effective? I've shot it of before and it still seemed pretty harsh.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:33 AM   #271
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Looking to do Mount Bogart next week. It sounds like the Ribbon Falls trail has been re-opened since the floods just hoping someone here can confirm.
Trail is open.

Full report here:
http://hikingwithbarry.com/2015/06/1...hiking-alberta

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2015, 10:59 AM   #272
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueski View Post
Is expired spray really not effective? I've shot it of before and it still seemed pretty harsh.

I think the pepper spray would be fine, it is the propellant that has a life span. Would be a bad time to discover this facing down a grizzly.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #273
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will be doing Turbine Canyon again this weekend with a few people, hopefully get up to Haig Glacier this time.

It's a beautiful hike for those up to the distance.

http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Turbi...naskis-AB-2621

Some people trail run it. Saw them. Crazy. Otherwise its an 8 - 9 hr day.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:08 PM   #274
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anybody here canoed the Milk River? Planning a trip for the end of next week and would love to hear your experiences!
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #275
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seen a couple rock climb up ha ling. Takes five hours apperently.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:11 PM   #276
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did Crypt Lake as well about a week ago and the trail is in great shape. A must do if in Waterton.

Skip Bear's Hump. It's short, steep, and absolutely packed with people. You can do much better there.

Headed down afterwards to Glacier in Montana and did the Iceberg Lake and Grinnell Glacier trails.

Iceberg is completely clear of snow on the trail and there are still tons of bergs in the lake.

Grinnell trail has a couple snow crossings. A couple can be walked around but the others can be traversed fairly easily. Be cautious, use an ice axe if you have it, and you'll be fine. Of note, there was a mama Grizzly and two Cubs in the area. We saw them below a cliff face from us so be vigilant for bears if you do the trail.

For quick, easy, hikes check out Red Rock in Waterton. Skip the trail that goes up either side as you see next to nothing. As long as the waters not too high you can rock hop up the canyon the length of the trail. Much better experience and you avoid the kids and tourists.

Avalanche Gorge in Glacier if you're doing the Going to the Sun road. Super easy walk that takes you through a cedar forest to a pretty sweet Creek Canyon.

Going to the Sun is already crazy even midweek. The Logan Pass parking lot is worse than Chinook Centre at Christmas time. If you're looking to do Skyline, wake up hella early.

I haven't posted too much of my hikes lately and I'll try to be more on it for CP. Hoping to get out to Ghost River this weekend. Any suggestions for there?
Old 07-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #277
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anybody know what mountain peaks are viewable from calgary? I looked around for a website but haven't found anything good.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #278
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Did Lower Rowe in Waterton on Canada Day. Was a little busy, but was quick as I had a few hours to kill. Just want to give a shout out for all of the respectful people on the trail as well. Everyone was just happy to be out, enjoy the scenery and keep it clean.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #279
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Does anybody know what mountain peaks are viewable from calgary? I looked around for a website but haven't found anything good.
You could try the peakfinder app for an iPhone. Uses your location and the direction your phone is facing to give you a silhouette of all the viewable peaks along with their names.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #280
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was out in banff this weekend and hiked bow glacier falls with the kids. (4 and6). This is a fantastic family hike. 4.6k each way only 125m elevation which is less than tunnel mountain and you can skip about half that if you stop at the top of the gorge and don't go all the way to the base of the falls.

The only part that might give some people concern is that there are big wooden steps along side a gorge with some lose gravel thrown in so hand holding kids is required but it is easily doable. For small kids like mine I would have a one to one parent to kid ratio for that section.

The whole hike is along the lake shore, through the braided wash and over the moraine. You are out of the trees with fantastic views 90% of the time. Highly recommended for a nice family hike.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness