Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2020, 09:44 PM   #3441
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wouldn't worry, based on the Green Line project so far I'm sure they'll inevitably run into budget overruns during construction and end up cancelling the entire river crossing.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:00 PM   #3442
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't Anthem's Riverfront project going to be smack dab in the way of all of this? The track will have to either squeeze between that building and Eau Claire's parkade entrance, or run right though that Golden Mountain park.

Traffic in that area is already disaster....

And how does the train come off of Center St onto a new bridge? Cut across a lane of traffic? Move both lanes of traffic to the East? Run train co-mingled with traffic street car style?

This would seem to fall under the category of 'hastily assembled compromises'....

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 01-28-2020 at 11:04 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 08:08 AM   #3443
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well since we are going with the bridge option over the Bow and given that it is going over Prince's island park (yes the more wetland west side) the choice is clear, time for Calatrava bridge 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Isn't Anthem's Riverfront project going to be smack dab in the way of all of this? The track will have to either squeeze between that building and Eau Claire's parkade entrance, or run right though that Golden Mountain park.

Traffic in that area is already disaster....
Well Eau Claire mall will eventually be demo'd and rebuilt in another form, so the parkade entrance can be relocated. Also since this is a low floor LRV line the stations will not be the bulky type we are used too, and actually could be integrated very nicely into a tight space like that area.

Last edited by Bigtime; 01-29-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:25 AM   #3444
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Also since this is a low floor LRV line the stations will not be the bulky type we are used too, and actually could be integrated very nicely into a tight space like that area.
Agreed. Low floor trains integrate nicely and there are good examples of how that could look already out there in operation.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #3445
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Nice to see the Green Line moving forward. A little concerned about the plan to run a bridge over Princes Island Park and at grade on Centre but I suppose the devil is in the details.

Last edited by Torture; 01-29-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #3446
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a fan of at grade along Centre Street but that ship has sailed a long time ago. But rather then run it up the middle of the street I would prefer if it ran up one side and shift traffic lanes completely to the other, at least that way you eliminate having to cross tracks in one turning direction.

Otherwise I'm generally okay with this so let's get this thing started, it's been delayed and pushed back so many times. The bridge over the river is fine but I too am wondering how they plan on landing the tracks onto Centre Street as they approach from the west. Land over top with an elevated section and come down onto the street? Cross the southbound lanes at grade (bad idea)?

Also I don't see why they could not do cut and cover for a tunnel section that lies in Victoria Park. That must be significantly cheaper than boring a tunnel.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:15 AM   #3447
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Also I don't see why they could not do cut and cover for a tunnel section that lies in Victoria Park. That must be significantly cheaper than boring a tunnel.
Hmm, I thought the plan now is that section is a "shallow tunnel" so it could be constructed via cut and cover.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:17 AM   #3448
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well since we are going with the bridge option over the Bow and given that it is going over Prince's island park (yes the more wetland west side) the choice is clear, time for Calatrava bridge 2.0
He's already designed a nice LRT bridge, with a similar curvy path to what's in the proposal. Let's do it.
https://calatrava.com/projects/bridg...jerusalem.html

Hopefully no height restrictions this time though.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 11:19 AM   #3449
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember looking years ago when they first proposed at grade on centre. They do have extra width due to wider setbacks, so they can claim some sidewalk space. But I would imagine this is going to invovlve a full tear up of centre to do that, and possibly relocating utilities. It's going to be a messy area until it is done.

I do agree that it would probably be better to stick it on one side. The west makes sense due to the river crossing, but the east is better for traffic coming and going to 12th ave/4th st which is a good bypass to Centre.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:27 PM   #3450
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I wonder whether it will have to be on the west side of centre street so that it doesn’t have to cut across traffic as it veers away from centre street north of the bridge.

If they want it in the centre of the ROW further north, have the mini tunnel that avoids a 16th Ave level crossing, realign the track to there.

South of 16th, west of the traffic lanes, north of 16th Ave, in the middle.m

The plan for the unfunded north line had mini tunnels under the main crossing streets - McKnight, Country Hills Blvd, etc.

I suspect they will want to go under 16th Ave, even if the line is on the surface south of 16th Ave.

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 01-29-2020 at 12:29 PM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:35 PM   #3451
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
He's already designed a nice LRT bridge, with a similar curvy path to what's in the proposal. Let's do it.
https://calatrava.com/projects/bridg...jerusalem.html

Hopefully no height restrictions this time though.
But you're not allowed to look at the resume of an architect and then just choose them, you have to add a ton of cost by giving derivative laden local architects a chance to bid too. You wouldn't want the Sun readers to get upset.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #3452
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now I'm wondering if there is any possibility in including bike infrastructure on that bridge, it would have to be a pretty low slope, so a much nicer option for folks than braving Centre street or crossing the Bow at Prince's island and climbing the bluff under the stairs.

Calatrava designed plus bike lanes on it? Super trigger warning for some.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 03:12 PM   #3453
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well Eau Claire mall will eventually be demo'd and rebuilt in another form, so the parkade entrance can be relocated. Also since this is a low floor LRV line the stations will not be the bulky type we are used too, and actually could be integrated very nicely into a tight space like that area.

At the pace at which Harvard Developments has gone on the Eau Claire Development...I'd put money on Green Line being built before Eau Claire does. (maybe even an extension to the moon...)

While I'm sure they can squeeze a station in, it's the impact of LRT operations on traffic that's the bigger issue. Don't forget that this intersection has to deal with much of the traffic coming off of (and onto) the lower deck of the Center street bridge which is high volume, especially at peak hours. It also has to move traffic off of the Eau Claire Loop. Throw in higher than normal pededestrian traffic and it's downright messy.

I'd say the City should buy Eau Claire to fix all of this (and to finally do something with that site) but they're short on cash as it is...

(For everyone's reference, here's the intersection in question)

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0522...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 01-29-2020 at 03:19 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #3454
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be really interesting to see how they handle the Eau Claire stretch and crossing the river pathways at grade.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #3455
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would they cross the river pathways at grade? I assume it will look something similar to the 10th st crossing regarding pathways, and will start climbing before them.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:52 PM   #3456
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Why would they cross the river pathways at grade? I assume it will look something similar to the 10th st crossing regarding pathways, and will start climbing before them.
The bike path section of pathway there is already at a lower grade than where the rail is at 4th avenue. There is also almost a full city block of rise before it crosses over top of the pathway.

In Eau Claire there's probably half the distance and has entrances to Barclay Parade and the parkade for the adjacent townhomes. It would also generate overlook of the new Parkside condos.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #3457
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't see how you can put off the incline until after the pathways. It would end up to steep.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #3458
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I remember looking years ago when they first proposed at grade on centre. They do have extra width due to wider setbacks, so they can claim some sidewalk space. But I would imagine this is going to invovlve a full tear up of centre to do that, and possibly relocating utilities. It's going to be a messy area until it is done.
Sucks because there are finally some thriving local businesses and restaurants in the area now. The Tigerstedt Block was languishing for so long but the last 3-4 years has come alive.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:00 PM   #3459
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now I'm wondering if there is any possibility in including bike infrastructure on that bridge, it would have to be a pretty low slope.
But perhaps it would be more fun (and turn into a spectator sport) if they made it a steep grade, and hosed it down every morning in winter.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:02 PM   #3460
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just don't see how you can put off the incline until after the pathways. It would end up to steep.
Why? The distance from north of the pathway and the river edge of the island is longer than the entire west bridge. There's plenty of distance there. A hundred meters isn't going to break it.

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings