Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2018, 05:22 AM   #201
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jonny - mony - lindy
Tkachuk - Schenn - Bennett
Ryan - Backlund - Williams
Frolik - Jankowski -Neal
Hathaway/Czarnik

Williams could be had relatively cheap but Schenn might cost too much.
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:25 AM   #202
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Justin Williams? Isn't he Carolina's newly-minted captain? I doubt they deal him, especially not with their team fully out of the race.

A couple guys who I might look at are Brett Connolly from Washington and Ryan Dzingel from Ottawa. But even those guys might be long-shots.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:27 AM   #203
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don't think a division leading team that's top 5 in the league is a contender, your standards are too high.

Yes we're a contender. The rest is about match ups, luck, and who gets hot at the right time.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2018, 05:50 AM   #204
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
If you don't think a division leading team that's top 5 in the league is a contender, your standards are too high.

Yes we're a contender. The rest is about match ups, luck, and who gets hot at the right time.
Top 2 in the league right now (tied)
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:00 AM   #205
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Justin Williams? Isn't he Carolina's newly-minted captain? I doubt they deal him, especially not with their team fully out of the race.

A couple guys who I might look at are Brett Connolly from Washington and Ryan Dzingel from Ottawa. But even those guys might be long-shots.
I've wanted Williams on the Flames for over a decade. Just really like what he brings on and off the ice. If the Canes are out, they'll probably sell anything that isn't a long term piece. Williams is expendable even though it would hurt. With the Lindholm deal earlier this year, the Flames likely know what the Canes value as I'm sure they had lengthy conversations working out all the parts of that deal.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:04 AM   #206
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarious View Post
To echo the thoughts of others the 89 Flames were easily the best team in the NHL and steamrolled their way to the Stanley cup. It would have been a surprise if they had not won. Every time they got a powerplay you just knew they were going to score, they were that good. Still even then, people harped on guys like Vernon and Suter and then shortly after Gilmour was run out of town for asking to be paid 1 million per season.
We're all glad that the Flames won, but, the Habs were just as good. They finished just 2 points back of the Flames in the regular season. The Flames didn't steamroll their way to the SC Finals, they were one shot away from being eliminated by the Canucks in that game 7 thriller.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #207
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
We're all glad that the Flames won, but, the Habs were just as good. They finished just 2 points back of the Flames in the regular season. The Flames didn't steamroll their way to the SC Finals, they were one shot away from being eliminated by the Canucks in that game 7 thriller.
The Canucks series would have been a huge upset, but those things happen in the first round. And even though they were close in points, you just never got the feeling that the Habs were in the Flames' class, at least I didn't. They were mostly about Roy. Naslund, Richer and Smith just didn't scare me.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #208
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The Canucks series would have been a huge upset, but those things happen in the first round. And even though they were close in points, you just never got the feeling that the Habs were in the Flames' class, at least I didn't. They were mostly about Roy. Naslund, Richer and Smith just didn't scare me.
All the Habs players you mention were a big reason they beat the Flames in the 86 final.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #209
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All the Habs players you mention were a big reason they beat the Flames in the 86 final.
I know. But with the 89 Flames, I just didn't sweat them. Calgary had them beat up and down the lineup (except in goal) which you couldn't say in 86.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #210
vicarious
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Good thing we had Joel Otto kick in the game 7 OT winner and send the Canucks home for good .
vicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #211
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarious View Post
Good thing we had Joel Otto kick in the game 7 OT winner and send the Canucks home for good .
Like I said, that was going to be a huge upset. On par with the Oilers-Habs in 1981, or the '04 Flames v. Detroit. But once that was over, those guys were all business.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #212
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like I said, that was going to be a huge upset. On par with the Oilers-Habs in 1981, or the '04 Flames v. Detroit. But once that was over, those guys were all business.
The 1994 Flames-Canucks and Sharks-Red Wings were two big upsets.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:50 AM   #213
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know. But with the 89 Flames, I just didn't sweat them. Calgary had them beat up and down the lineup (except in goal) which you couldn't say in 86.
I will agree that the 89 Flames defense was much stronger than the Habs. The forwards were for the most part equal.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #214
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I will agree that the 89 Flames defense was much stronger than the Habs. The forwards were for the most part equal.
Disagree. Line up each forward from Montreal and I will cite a Flame who was better. Just look at the centres: Newy, Gilmour, Otto, Hrdina versus Smith, Carbonneau, Corson and Skrudland. The Flames had two 50 goals scorers. The Habs had two 30 goal scorers.

I just never had a doubt after the near disaster against Vancouver.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #215
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Disagree. Line up each forward from Montreal and I will cite a Flame who was better. Just look at the centres: Newy, Gilmour, Otto, Hrdina versus Smith, Carbonneau, Corson and Skrudland. The Flames had two 50 goals scorers. The Habs had two 30 goal scorers.

I just never had a doubt after the near disaster against Vancouver.
Look how many Flames on that 89 roster that did or would go on to record 50 goal seasons. Unreal. Career Highs:

Fleury (51), Loob (50), McDonald (66), Mullen (51), Newy (51), Roberts (53). Then you had Gilmour (42), Hrdina (22), Otto (27), Patterson (22) Mark Hunter (44) MacLellan (32), Peplinski (30).

http://dropyourgloves.com/Stat/Playe...&Competition=0

Last edited by troutman; 12-20-2018 at 09:43 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #216
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Look how many Flames on that 89 roster that did or would go on to record 50 goal seasons. Unreal.

Fleury, Loob, McDonald, Mullen, Newy, Roberts. Then you had Gilmour, Hrdina, Mark Hunter and MacLellan.
Still only Swedish player to score 50 in a season. Amazing when you think of all the talent from Sweden who've played in the NHL. No Sundin, Forsberg, Alfredsson, Twins or other have been able to do it.

Magic man was so close in 80-81 with 49...

Wonder who will be the next?
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #217
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Earned Never Given View Post
Still only Swedish player to score 50 in a season. Amazing when you think of all the talent from Sweden who've played in the NHL. No Sundin, Forsberg, Alfredsson, Twins or other have been able to do it.

Magic man was so close in 80-81 with 49...

Wonder who will be the next?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #218
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

After the game last night, it's hard not to believe that this team isn't a contender. But a huge aspect that makes a team a contender is special teams and this team right now has it. Since that Pittsburgh drubbing, this team has been top 10 in in both the PP and the PK.

In 26 games (Oct 27):

Powerplay: 26.2% (Ranks #6)

Penalty Kill: 84.4% (Ranks #7)

Big reason why this team has been the 2nd best team in the league since that time. Big credit has to go to the coaching staff for the work they've done since the 1st month.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #219
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
After the game last night, it's hard not to believe that this team isn't a contender. But a huge aspect that makes a team a contender is special teams and this team right now has it. Since that Pittsburgh drubbing, this team has been top 10 in in both the PP and the PK.

In 26 games (Oct 27):

Powerplay: 26.2% (Ranks #6)

Penalty Kill: 84.4% (Ranks #7)

Big reason why this team has been the 2nd best team in the league since that time. Big credit has to go to the coaching staff for the work they've done since the 1st month.
True.

One big change I would make is to PP #2. I would absolutely have Andersson be one the point. He has helped create a lot of offense from the point in end-of-game situations. He has a great shot. I would also put Neal in a one-timer's position, rather than Ryan patrolling the right side being quarterback. I would even consider swapping Chucky over to PP #2 to be the net front guy - tipping one timers and cleaning up rebounds. On #1, keep the same, but put Bennett

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Monahan-Bennett
Gio

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal
Andersson-Brodie
Old 12-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #220
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
True.

One big change I would make is to PP #2. I would absolutely have Andersson be one the point. He has helped create a lot of offense from the point in end-of-game situations. He has a great shot. I would also put Neal in a one-timer's position, rather than Ryan patrolling the right side being quarterback. I would even consider swapping Chucky over to PP #2 to be the net front guy - tipping one timers and cleaning up rebounds. On #1, keep the same, but put Bennett

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Monahan-Bennett
Gio

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal
Andersson-Brodie
You're definitely right that the PP2 unit needs to be changed. When they're out there, it looks like time being wasted. Good thing there are several options available though.

I do like the idea of using Andersson. His one timer that hit the post vs Dallas a few days ago was impressive. I'd consider moving him to the flank on his off wing to set up a one timer option. Neal's one timer could work, but I think situating him where Tkachuk is might work as well since he saw success there with Vegas. Hanifin's game along the blue line has grown leaps and bounds since the first month of the season, so I'd keep him at the point.

The other option might be to play Johnny on both powerplays. He could sit on the opposite flank and feed Andersson one timers. He helps draw defenders his way which should theoretically open that up, or if they start to defend Rasmus, then that should open up Johnny up along with whoever is situated down low.

The other option would be to just play the PP1 unit more. Washington seemingly plays their PP1 unit for the whole 2 minutes and they won the Cup. So it's not a crazy idea. I'd think about giving them 1:20-1:30 and leave the rest of the time to the second unit. Maybe some extra urgency might help that them out because it looks very pedestrian most games.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post: