Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2022, 03:24 PM   #321
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Anybody else find Uma Thurman's daughter to be a ####ty actress and an annoying character? Can't stand her. She is so outgunned by the rest of the cast. Seems like she's acting in a high school play or something beside a bunch of pros.

My daughter and I look at each other and roll our eyes every time she bogarts a scene.
Well, I just learned that Uma's daughter is in this show. It's funny, I kinda thought I recognized her, now it makes sense as she kinda looks like Uma.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2022, 04:26 PM   #322
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Well, I just learned that Uma's daughter is in this show. It's funny, I kinda thought I recognized her, now it makes sense as she kinda looks like Uma.

And Uma played Ariana Huffington in the Uber series, Super Pumped, and was totally unrecognizable.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:22 PM   #323
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The only thing I don't like about the scene where Max runs away from Vecna with the Kate Bush song playing is that my kid won't stop talking about it and playing the damn song.

Really well done show and the writing is fantastic. The Duffer Brothers do a great job crafting this story. Check out Hidden. One of their early projects and a test run given to them by the studio to see what they could do after pitching the Stranger Things idea.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:40 PM   #324
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
The only thing I don't like about the scene where Max runs away from Vecna with the Kate Bush song playing is that my kid won't stop talking about it and playing the damn song.

I have to admit, I hadn't heard that song in eons and I've been playing it often the last few days. It was a great choice of music for that scene. Although the lyrics were originally written about a couple being able to hypothetically switch shoes and better empathize with each other, it fits very well with the scene and thematically with Max being depressed.

I'm not one to pay attention to Billboard charts but I had heard that "Running Up That Hill" is higher on the charts now than it was back in '85. It peaked at #16 in Canada and #30 in the US in '85; it's currently #4 in Canada and #8 in the US.

Last edited by timun; 06-13-2022 at 01:44 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2022, 01:57 PM   #325
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post

I have to admit, I hadn't heard that song in eons and I've been playing it often the last few days. It was a great choice of music for that scene. Although the lyrics were originally written about a couple being able to hypothetically switch shoes and better empathize with each other, it fits very well with the scene and thematically with Max being depressed.

I'm not one to pay attention to Billboard charts but I had heard that "Running Up That Hill" is higher on the charts now than it was back in '85. It peaked at #16 in Canada and #30 in the US in '85; it's currently #4 in Canada and #8 in the US.

When Kate Bush came on back in the day you changed the channel. But yes, very catching song and perfectly used in that scene.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:01 PM   #326
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Random Stranger-Things-related thought:

I noticed a Jeep Cherokee in the background of a scene in the first or second episode. The Cherokee was in production from model year '84 through 2001, and there are subtle visual differences between "early" ('84-'86) ones built by AMC, ones thereafter ('87-'96) built by Chrysler, and the last few years of production after a "refresh" for the '97 model year. Film and TV productions often #### this up. E.g. Cast Away, the movie starring Tom Hanks, had Hanks' character driving a Cherokee, which Helen Hunt's character kept around for the years after he went missing and returned to him in the dénouement. He went missing in 1995 so it should have been a '95 model at the newest, but it was clearly a '97 or later.

Stranger Things actually got this right! It's set in '86, and they had an '84-'86 Cherokee in the background. The badging on the tailgate gave it away. The '84-'86s were available with the 2.8 L Chevy V6 as an option and had a "V6 2.8 L" badge on the bottom left of the tailgate when so equipped. At the bottom right was a "Jeep" badge, with "Cherokee" centered above the licence plate:

Spoiler!

After '86 the V6 was no longer available, replaced by AMC's own 4.0 L straight-six; the badge at the bottom left read "4.0 Litre". The "Jeep" and "Cherokee" badges also swapped position, with "Jeep" in the centre and "Cherokee" at the bottom right:

Spoiler!

I'm impressed they got this minute, unimportant detail correct.

EDIT: Oh, it's not just a background vehicle, it's the ######y jock's car! (Just watched episode 3)
Dude. I looked up the same vehicle. Pressed pause and everything and my whole family was yelling at me. I thought I was going to bust them on having a vehicle wrong, but sure as #### they were right.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2022, 02:09 PM   #327
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
When Kate Bush came on back in the day you changed the channel. But yes, very catching song and perfectly used in that scene.
Yeah I was never a Kate Bush fan—a little too esoteric for me—but I respected the talent. I knew she had to be great given how much other musicians from disparate genres respected her.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:17 PM   #328
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Dude. I looked up the same vehicle. Pressed pause and everything and my whole family was yelling at me. I thought I was going to bust them on having a vehicle wrong, but sure as #### they were right.

Nice to know I'm not the only who geeks out and notices these things. I think I spotted a "split-grille" Wagoneer in one of the later episodes, but I can't remember if they went to that style of grille in '86 or '87...
Old 06-14-2022, 11:24 AM   #329
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thoughts by plot-line:
Spoiler!

Last edited by octothorp; 06-14-2022 at 11:42 AM.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:59 PM   #330
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this season any good?
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 02:06 PM   #331
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Is this season any good?
Best season they’ve done yet IMO.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2022, 11:24 PM   #332
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
A week later and "Running Up That Hill" is now #2 in Canada, #4 in the US.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:14 AM   #333
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Best season they’ve done yet IMO.
It's been an improvement on season 3, but personally, I think the first will always be the best season for me...

it was a lot more earnest and everything felt fresh...I know many like the comedic stuff, but it doesn't really work for me. Hopper's redemption story was incredibly poignant as was 11's and the kids innocence.

the mid season finale this season was really good though; the reveal was pretty phenomenal.

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 06-19-2022 at 11:16 AM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 11:56 AM   #334
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know they said they might not go any further with the series because of Winona Ryder becoming part of the pop culture lexicon starting in the late 80s, but I think it would bd pretty incredible to write that into the story somehow.

I have been rewatching the series and love the nods to pretty much every movie out there, like Aliens, Halloween, Lord of the Rings, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:30 PM   #335
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally caught up! Season 2 was meh 7/10 and season 3 was better but still only only above average 7.5/10

Holy crap this season 4 is off the wall. 9.5/10! I hate it that they made it into a horror season... lol I had like goosebumps for 50% of it. 11 created Voldemort!

The only annoying part of this season is that Eddie looks like he is 35 but still in high school.. and also waiting for Paul Reiser to do the double cross and screw Ripley.. umm 11.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #336
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a few other things.

Winona Ryder is AMAZING!! I didn't even know she was in this before i watched it. lol

The X-Men 134 comic that Dustin promised to give Will in the 1st episode is one of my favourite comics of all time. 1st appearance of Dark Phoenix. Who pretty much has the same powers as 11 but she can fly and consume planets.

Seeing those old 80s slurpee cups and white dorito bags were amazing. Too bad it wasn't CDN so they could throw some O'Ryans in there.

Ok Season 6 better have Molly Ringwald in it or I'm going to be super disappointed.

Looks like only 2 more episodes for Season 4. 85 mins and 2.5 hours!

Last edited by Johnny Makarov; 06-20-2022 at 02:58 PM.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:21 AM   #337
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

You guys geeking out about the period correct Jeep Cherokee have nothing on the HVAC nerds who get enraged by non-period correct AC units.

Now I hate this show.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 10:54 AM   #338
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
You guys geeking out about the period correct Jeep Cherokee have nothing on the HVAC nerds who get enraged by non-period correct AC units.

Now I hate this show.

Lol....for me it just shows how much effort they put into getting all of the details they did correct. If your biggest gripe is an appliance, that only people in the appliance industry would know about, they are doing a lot of things right.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 11:49 AM   #339
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Eeeeeee

Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 12:41 PM   #340
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This season is my favorite so far. Hard to say though, the first one was so unique.

I feel like they're pulling story cues from the Civil War to Endgame arc in the MCU. The heroes are scattered, some in hiding, some presumed dead. A great threat to the city and world has emerged and against great odds they must unite and save the world again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in, love it, and the writing is great. Some of it just seems familiar.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote