Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #1741
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, put a bollard in front of it. People wont learn unless you damage their car.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #1742
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does each shop need it’s own railing? Or could it be installed where there is less risk of getting hit by cars?

The sacrificial stanchion or whatever in front of the railing might work like what I think it’s being suggested already.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #1743
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are 3 railings and all of them get hit. We could probably remove one, but the tenants say they want them to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Yeah, put a bollard in front of it. People wont learn unless you damage their car.
I didn't realize how poorly people park till we had this property. People just drive into everything. The railings, steps, the parking bumps, the parking signs. One old man managed to back up into a retail bay a couple of years ago.

You'd think with all these parking sensor on cars these days, people would hit things less...but nope. And it's not like it's some super tight inner city parking lot.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #1744
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Use these?
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #1745
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If basement carpet gets exposed to some sewer backup, is there any way to clean it so that it's safe? Or is it a case of it should always be replaced?

I guess it's more a question of the underlay, the carpet and underlay are pretty thin but I don't know if cleaning can get in there enough.. or if the underlay is too much of a sponge and would never be able to be cleaned properly.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:58 PM   #1746
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Throw the carpet and underlay away. Far far away.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #1747
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Throw the carpet and underlay away. Far far away.
Then maybe think about sealing the slab nice and buying an area rug or two, if this is an issue you believe may happen again in the future. Not quite as nice, but I’ve seen some interesting things done.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #1748
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'd put in vinyl plank to replace it, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an option I wasn't aware of.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #1749
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm at the point where I NEED to replace my eavestroughs. Anyone here have a recommended contractor? Looking for some quotes on getting the job done right.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #1750
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
I'm at the point where I NEED to replace my eavestroughs. Anyone here have a recommended contractor? Looking for some quotes on getting the job done right.

How is the condition of your roof? If you can get the roof and eavestroughs done at the same time, it might be worth it to wait. Otherwise, you might be getting new eavestroughs again.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #1751
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
Wait for a good hailstorm and get both done?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #1752
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need to cut some of those 24 x 30 concrete patio blocks to fit around some deck pilings.

What is the best method. I would prefer to do at home.

Options ??
Old 07-03-2018, 11:39 AM   #1753
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I need to cut some of those 24 x 30 concrete patio blocks to fit around some deck pilings.

Options ??
Here's what I did when I needed to do this but they were only straight through cuts. Might need something finer for notching.

Put a concrete blade in a circular saw. Set up a guide on the block to keep a straight line. Make a shallow cut first and then increase the depth of the blade. Might take multiple passes slowly increasing the depth depending on the saw power, etc. Wear glasses and a dust mask. You're not really cutting the block, you're grinding it away so it's actually a pretty easy task.

If the grade around the block is going to cover some thickness of the block you could cut part way through and then hit it with a sledge and it should snap along your line.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #1754
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

For straight lines the circuit saw method works well. For curves get a brick set and hit YouTube for tips.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:31 PM   #1755
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not really home improvement but home fix up...

In our restroom at home we have a particle board cabinet with particle board doors - the same type of stuff you see in new homes these days. A few days ago my shorts caught the handle as I was walking by and I ripped the door off. There was no damage to the door but the inside of the cabinet didn't look so great. Here's the image:

https://imgur.com/gallery/niBAnFj

So I went to Home Depot and got some wood filler and some Gorilla glue and tried my best to fix it. I used the glue to paint into the damage just to keep things together and then I filled the gouge with the wood filler. However, when I tried to screw things back in place the filler didn't seem to hold the hinge screws in. Maybe the pilot holes weren't tight enough (the screws that I'm using are blunt on the end and not pointy so I'm guessing I need to make pilot holes).

So what I've done now is I've filled the two holes from the new screw holes with match ends (not the tips) and toothpicks and glued them in hoping they'll provide something for the screws to bite in to. I'm hoping that'll work but I have my doubts.

Have I approached this correctly? Is there a better way to do this? Is there a hinge that would fit my door but is longer so that I can screw into non-damaged part of the interior of the cabinet? Am I screwed? To fix this, do I need to buy a new cabinet? Bathroom? House?

I've tried searching the internet for some advice but I can't find anything that will help aside from the tips regarding dowls and toothpicks. I am not handy and this is the first time I've attempted a repair such as this so my tools are very limited.

What do I do?
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #1756
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Not really home improvement but home fix up...

In our restroom at home we have a particle board cabinet with particle board doors - the same type of stuff you see in new homes these days. A few days ago my shorts caught the handle as I was walking by and I ripped the door off. There was no damage to the door but the inside of the cabinet didn't look so great. Here's the image:

https://imgur.com/gallery/niBAnFj

So I went to Home Depot and got some wood filler and some Gorilla glue and tried my best to fix it. I used the glue to paint into the damage just to keep things together and then I filled the gouge with the wood filler. However, when I tried to screw things back in place the filler didn't seem to hold the hinge screws in. Maybe the pilot holes weren't tight enough (the screws that I'm using are blunt on the end and not pointy so I'm guessing I need to make pilot holes).

So what I've done now is I've filled the two holes from the new screw holes with match ends (not the tips) and toothpicks and glued them in hoping they'll provide something for the screws to bite in to. I'm hoping that'll work but I have my doubts.

Have I approached this correctly? Is there a better way to do this? Is there a hinge that would fit my door but is longer so that I can screw into non-damaged part of the interior of the cabinet? Am I screwed? To fix this, do I need to buy a new cabinet? Bathroom? House?

I've tried searching the internet for some advice but I can't find anything that will help aside from the tips regarding dowls and toothpicks. I am not handy and this is the first time I've attempted a repair such as this so my tools are very limited.

What do I do?
The toothpick method has always worked well for me, but I've only done it with stripped out holes that were otherwise solid. I used PL construction adhesive and strips of a cedar shim. You may also want to use a wood screw or something that will bite in a bit more than the cabinet screws that were there originally.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #1757
aiy_yah
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Went back to page 75, which goes back 11 months and didn't see any posts on this:

Any recommendations for someone to install tile? Looking to reno 2 full, 1 half bath. Want tile for the showers and for the floors. Little bit of backsplash work also.
aiy_yah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:02 PM   #1758
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post

Options ??
Rent a wet saw from Home Depot. I tried the circular saw method with the correct blade. It was extremely time consuming. $80 for the rental and you are done in a couple of minutes.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #1759
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiy_yah View Post
Went back to page 75, which goes back 11 months and didn't see any posts on this:

Any recommendations for someone to install tile? Looking to reno 2 full, 1 half bath. Want tile for the showers and for the floors. Little bit of backsplash work also.
For your showers - are they new installs? Assume you'll need waterproofing as part of that?
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #1760
aiy_yah
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
For your showers - are they new installs? Assume you'll need waterproofing as part of that?
I'd be replacing old tiled showers, so likely would replacing the backing as well.
aiy_yah is offline   Reply With Quote